League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

State of the Pacers

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Vann_the_Red
General Manager

State of the Pacers

Post by Vann_the_Red »

"What is this team?" That's the question I lead with when I pick up a new organization. I've worked with teams on the cusp, teams that have just started to rebuild, and teams that have to be torn down. This is the first time I've taken over a solid team in the middle.

I've broken the team down a few ways, but I think the most informative way is by age group. We'll look at the vets (31+), the prime of career guys (26-30), the youngsters (under 26 contributors), and the prospects (haven't yet helped but we sure hope they do).

The Vets
PG Sinan Guler
SF Jordan Adams
Guler is the bridge to the point guard future and the steady hand. He might start and is the security blanket for the coaching staff. Adams needs a new contract, but he's solid vet and might come back as a depth piece.

The Prime
SG Jamal Murray
SG Rawle Alkins
SG Briante Weber
SF Deng Adel
PF Semi Ojeleye
C Ante Zizic
Our predecessor did us a huge favor in giving us a roster with no bad players, no bad contracts, and a core of quality prime career guys. Semi is our best player. Jamal should be our leading scorer. Briante will lock you up so tight your lawyer will need a writ of habeas corpus. Alkins is a bucket off the bench when you're trailing. Neither Deng nor Ante will hurt you if you need minutes.

The Youngsters
PG De'Anthony Melton
PF Jonathan Isaac
C Jaxxon Hayes
Isaac and Hayes look like studs. Melton looks like a defensive predator who might offer enough offense to help, This is possibly the strength of the organization.

The Prospects
PG Tremont Waters
SG Donte DiVencenzo
PF Reid Travis
C Jalen Smith
PF Paul Reed
Waters was the top point guard in his class and probably the biggest bellweather of the club's future. If he can develop into his best self, this cast is probably enough. If he falls short, we're probably going to have to rebuild. Reed is this year's lottery pick. Travis and DiVencenzo are first rounders who have shown some, but not enough. This is probably Smith's last chance to deliver on his promise.

What does the club need? Deng Adel is the only natural SF with a contract for next year. That's probably an issue. We are deep at 2 and 4, so clarification of role and playing time there is a big key. What systems best fit this collection of talent? There has to be some experimentation this season.

Y'all know this league better than I do. What do you see that I missed?

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: State of the Pacers

Post by Jestor »

Shooting. You need shooting. Like perhaps more than any other team in the league. I'd keep:

Semi
Hayes
Weber
Waters
Isaac

The rest of this team can either be renounced and/or traded for players who fit around those four

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Rest doesn’t really carry any trade value though. Interesting but challenging situation. Especially in a tough east and a league flooded with superstars.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Murray is good, should be value there

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Couldn't agree more. The starting 5 should score. If either Murray or Semi is on the bench, I worry. If they're both off the floor ... it's Rawle time? Definitely need to find points.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Jestor wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:22 pm Shooting. You need shooting. Like perhaps more than any other team in the league. I'd keep:

Semi
Hayes
Weber
Waters
Isaac

The rest of this team can either be renounced and/or traded for players who fit around those four
i agree with tim here thou im not a fan of webers long contract unless it has a team option . you need to bring back murray but keep an eye on your finances too with jaxson coming up for extention next year

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team has some good talent for sure, but I think it can use an upgrade at PG, or add some more outside shooting if you want to make a strong playoff run.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Yeah, we're still in the "could be", "will be", "is" analysis of Waters. I'd place point as the second biggest position of need and I completely agree that shooting is the preeminent skill of need.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Guler, Alkins, and Adams will all be slowly regressing for next off-season due to age, so you might want to be aware of that as well. As DDS is weird, and players usually start to have rating drops once they are 32 or older.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

This should be a year of understanding the engine, bringing back Murray (and proper utilizing him) and letting Waters grow into the player he can possibly be. I wouldn’t make any major moves right now, not in a year where everyone (not only you) will be trying to figure out the new engine. This is IMO the perfect time to join as a newcomer even if you know nothing about the players in this league. Engine plays a huge part in determining who’s good and who’s not around here.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:33 pm Guler, Alkins, and Adams will all be slowly regressing for next off-season due to age, so you might want to be aware of that as well. As DDS is weird, and players usually start to have rating drops once they are 32 or older.
Thanks for the explanation!

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:55 pm This should be a year of understanding the engine, bringing back Murray (and proper utilizing him) and letting Waters grow into the player he can possibly be. I wouldn’t make any major moves right now, not in a year where everyone (not only you) will be trying to figure out the new engine. This is IMO the perfect time to join as a newcomer even if you know nothing about the players in this league. Engine plays a huge part in determining who’s good and who’s not around here.
I tend to be pretty conservative with new teams. KW, DrumR, Jedi, and Rizzo know me as the dude running the wishbone in our DDSCF league. The advice to go slow and steady is appreciated.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

This team needs to get off the treadmill. Pick a direction.

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Silogical wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:52 am This team needs to get off the treadmill. Pick a direction.
Trying!

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Waters, Ojeleye, Isaac, Hayes

That’s the core. You need a legit Capital A alpha scorer flanking those 4 to be a very, very dangerous team.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Rizzo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:07 am Waters, Ojeleye, Isaac, Hayes

That’s the core. You need a legit Capital A alpha scorer flanking those 4 to be a very, very dangerous team.
Geez, you don't ask for much, do you?!?

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

You will be alright. Consolidate talent for 1 or 2 two guys and slowly retool. The Pacer team as is, might make the playoffs. But I think you want more ..

Patience is a virtue
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

In all honesty I would rebuild around Waters and Hayes. Semi, Isaac, Weber and co wont get you anywhere. So bottoming out to build up again makes totally sense. Im no Ojeleye fan at all though.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Andrewu91 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:15 am You will be alright. Consolidate talent for 1 or 2 two guys and slowly retool. The Pacer team as is, might make the playoffs. But I think you want more ..

Patience is a virtue
I'm not that virtuous ... but I'm trying.

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

Dennis wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:25 am In all honesty I would rebuild around Waters and Hayes. Semi, Isaac, Weber and co wont get you anywhere. So bottoming out to build up again makes totally sense. Im no Ojeleye fan at all though.
Us Celtics fans tend to be low on Semi.