League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Sim Schedule

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Sim Schedule

Post by Dennis »

Me as a GM (not as Admin) wants to propose a schedule change. I think three days per sim isn't good for the league. We are way too fast and that puts a lot pressure on the admins as they have to get things done faster. 2 days per sim would delay the league by 1 week per ingame month (3 reallife weeks to sim 1 ingame month instead of 2 reallife weeks to sim 1 ingame month right now). It would have several advantages:

+ only a few back to back sims which makes it easier to adjust tactics
+ we dont have to add so many no names to the draft class as we need less draftclasses (I saw several GMs complaining about it, so that might be the major argument)
+ makes it easier for the admins

- we will need longer for a season

Just an idea, what are your thoughts guys?
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Re: Sim Schedule

Post by Chilikonkarne »

I like the current setup better.

Last regular season, we had 57 simulations. By decreasing by one day sim, we would go to 85 simulation.
Or from 1.44 game a sim to 0.96 game a sim.

Tactics might not be used that much since most of GM don’t like to play with it during regular season.
Less work for admin on draft and offseason but also 28 more simulation to organize a year.
Slow pace will impact activity. Rebuilding team will find the season extremely long and might skip connecting.

I personally like to see a league evolve. We already have some nice stories to tell (with only 3 years) and with good media activity (which I think we have), unknown rookies will make their names into the CSL.
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Slowing down wouldn't change the sim work at all. No matter if 2 or 3 days per sim, the simmers still would have to sim.

CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Rather keep it the way it is. Regular seasons might get boring- the RS alone would take over 4 months to complete.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Well, main problem is, the way it is right now, it is not feasible for the commishs. I think you should also see it from their point of view. You guys have to do pretty much nothing, but every offseason is horrible work and the draft guy would have more time to breath. I know you guys cant know how much work the offseason is, but believe me it's horrible. Right now we have to do all the stuff every 80-90 days, that is 4 times a year. I cant afford the time anymore, not sure about andrei and jon. So 2 days per sim would help a lot. I believe, at the actual speed it will be difficult for the league in the future.

CSL Champions Image 2028

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Dennis wrote:Well, main problem is, the way it is right now, it is not feasible for the commishs. I think you should also see it also from their point of view. You guys have to do pretty much nothing, but every offseason is horrible work and the draft guy would have more time to breath. I know you guys cant know how much work the offseason is, but believe me it's horrible. Right now we have to do all the stuff every 80-90 days, that is 4 times a year. I cant afford the time anymore, not sure about andrei and jon. So 2 days per sim would help a lot. I believe, at the actual speed the league will die.
As an admin I cannot comment. Yes it would probably be easier for you guys and if you decide to move along for that reason, I would respect it 100%.

As a GM (as you started this topic), I think slowing down the league will make it less attractive.
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

BizGilwalker wrote:Rather keep it the way it is. Regular seasons might get boring- the RS alone would take over 4 months to complete.
I vote to keep it the same 4 months per season seems way too long, activity would suffer.
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

My thoughts on this are that both can work and have their pros/cons.

If we switched to 2 sim days per sim then it would allow GMs to strategize more throughout the season since there will be less opponents each sim. We would also have the sim team sim 7 days a week most likely after the trade deadline to speed through the lull period before the playoffs too. There would be more sims in the end, but we wouldn't run into the possibility of having to fit in a fake rookie file when we run out of real upcoming rookies. Nobody wants fake rookies since articles become boring with no pictures. The NLL did this once and those rookies are finally starting to wean out of the league.

In the end its up to what the league wants, but there is no more/less additional work to the sim team either way.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I wasn't even a full time commissioner of this league in the oCSL days and I can tell you that it is a boat load of work to run a league. I'm all for making it easier on the commissioners if at all possible. Also, like emp said, we could go with a 7-day sim schedule once the trade deadline has passed to get to the playoffs.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Easy either way.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

I'm ok with 2 days per sim or 3 days per sim, but yeah, something like 2 days per sim until trade deadline, that gives more time to trading, and then after that 3 days per sim until playoffs. And playoffs like right now. :)

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

bt wrote:Easy either way.
I'd lean to whatever makes it easier on the mod/commish team but don't mind either way.
Ball is Life.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I like 2 days from perspective of tactics adjustment. Too many sims I had 2 games with completely different teams and had to find a ''one size fits all'' tactic - usually did not work out.

I like 3 sims from perspective of building league history and activity.

Interesting idea to try 2 days before trade deadline and 3 days after. If this does not work - I'd vote to at least try 2 days from next season
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

andrei wrote:I like 2 days from perspective of tactics adjustment. Too many sims I had 2 games with completely different teams and had to find a ''one size fits all'' tactic - usually did not work out.

Interesting idea to try 2 days before trade deadline and 3 days after. If this does not work - I'd vote to at least try 2 days from next season
I'm flexible, but I'd argue it's almost more important to change strats as you approach the playoffs when teams are jockeying for position - it would almost make more sense for it to slow down.

Rob
Senior Vice President

Post by Rob »

Im down if its easier on the admins. They have the hardest job

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Rob wrote:Im down if its easier on the admins. They have the hardest job

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Sun Scorched wrote:
andrei wrote:I like 2 days from perspective of tactics adjustment. Too many sims I had 2 games with completely different teams and had to find a ''one size fits all'' tactic - usually did not work out.

I'm flexible, but I'd argue it's almost more important to change strats as you approach the playoffs when teams are jockeying for position - it would almost make more sense for it to slow down.
agree with you but you know how it is after the trade deadline - activity drops substantially esp if teams are not jockeying for position.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

3 days per sim is better imo, but I could see a 2/3 post trade deadline as a compromise.

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

I have an idea, and maybe it ties in with the original idea of this post.

How about from free agency days 14-21, we have gm's make offers for players that would be two days. So we sim 14,15 as one whole day, and so on. Let's be honest, right now only basic role players/scrubs are left. Is it really worth our time to wait an extra 7 days. With the proposed idea we cut it down to 4.

How it ties In with the original idea is, the season would take longer with the 2 day/3 day sims, so we make it up with shortening free agency from days 14-21. It would also keep activity up, instead of waiting a whole week on days 14-21 for scrub players, people might not check in as much and so on.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

That's already decided and will be announced later.

CSL Champions Image 2028