League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Free Agency System - Proposals & Questions

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Free Agency System - Proposals & Questions

Post by KW »

This is a post I've been meaning to write since before last year's free agency but never got around to doing so, and the new engine's minor changes to salaries have made it a bit more pressing. So here's a few proposals to tweak the free agency system.

Keeping the same max contracts from years' past

The value of max contracts went up this season by more than 10%, citing the fact that DDS fixed max contracts to the salary cap. However, if we are not using the game for free agency, it shouldn't matter what the game thinks the max salary is. Proposing to leave things the way they have been the last ~10 seasons in terms of cap and max salaries.

Removing the restrictions on contract structuring that were created so that teams couldn't trick the DDS engine

This is the part that I have been meaning to propose for a couple years now. We disallowed these things while using the DDS Free Agency, because the engine wasn't able to handle it:

- Flat contracts above $8M. This was only created because we had a theory that DDS was only looking at starting salary and length and didn't care about raises. The new system doesn't have this issue. Our salary cap does not rise every year like it does in real life, and large non-max contracts shouldn't be required to, in my opinion.

- Front loaded contracts. More helpful for re-signing older players who will decline in later years. Lowest priority out of these three things, but would be nice. IIRC the only reason we don't have these is because DDS doesn't recognize negative raises.

- 1+1 deals with Team Options. Like the flat contracts, this rule was created because the DDS FA system basically ignored team options for whatever reason, and treated them like a guaranteed year. That wouldn't be the case anymore.

Utilize two-way contracts as training camp deals

This is obviously a very low priority thing since Gary apparently doesn't know how Two-way contracts work, but I propose treating these contracts like training camp deals. I don't know if anybody's tested out training camp yet in this engine, but it would be nice to bring a couple young fringe roster players onto my 16th and 17th roster spots for cheap, and have them reap the benefits of training camp, which free agents do not get. Again, not important at all, but would be nice.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Re: Free Agency System - Proposals & Questions

Post by Myles »

Love the feedback. The only one I’ll respond directly to right now is front-loaded contracts. If the contract can’t be put in directly through the game’s FA system, then we have to edit it in the database, and that throws off everything in the game’s financials. The game does not handle editing things like contracts in the database well, and the less exposure we have to things like that, the better.

ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

I have absolutely no idea how two-way contracts work in the game but if possible that would be awesome because of the training camp.

1+1 team option deals I don't like though. I think noone would sign players on regular one-year deals if they can just slam a team option on the contract.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Myles wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:15 pm Love the feedback. The only one I’ll respond directly to right now is front-loaded contracts. If the contract can’t be put in directly through the game’s FA system, then we have to edit it in the database, and that throws off everything in the game’s financials. The game does not handle editing things like contracts in the database well, and the less exposure we have to things like that, the better.
That only affects the current season, as financials are internally updated at the season's changeover. So future years should not affect the game financials.
ImageImageImageImageImage

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Bumping this to see if there's been any talk among the admins about changes to FA this summer?

Understand the point about front loaded contracts. I think flat contracts should be allowed since it's not "tricking the system" in any way

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

I support all the proposals... not sure that means anyhting lol
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Once we know the path forward for Free Agency, we will look into these and communicate out the changes.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Really depends how 'manual' it is.

If offers are being considered manually like last season, you could potentially add different options if it doesn't increase the workload.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Now that it has been announced that we will be using the Hybrid system again, here are the responses to these suggestions:

Keeping the same max contracts from years' past

- We agree that we can maintain the same max contracts as years past without using the newly generated max values. The minimum values cannot be changed though and will still need to be maintained.

Removing the restrictions on contract structuring that were created so that teams couldn't trick the DDS engine

- Flat contracts above $8M.

- I think we can adjust this a bit, but one of the other reasons we kept this was because its not realistic to have a contract that is max or near max without raises. We have decided that we will RAISE the bar to $12 million and above requiring raises. Just know that the formula weighs on raises in FA so if you do not offer raises and lose out to one with raises, that is the reason.

- Front loaded contracts.

- Myles already answered this one, but it would require a lot of manual work which we would like to avoid so this will not be pursued.

- 1+1 deals with Team Options.

- So we are okay with teams offering this contract, but option type is also figured into the formula. It doesn't really benefit the player to accept a 1+1 TO deal since the control is all on the team, so a 2 year, 1+1 PO, and (depending on the player) a 1 year deal will typically trump a 1+1 TO deal. Just take that into consideration.

Utilize two-way contracts as training camp deals

- We would like to test this out first before implementing which means it won't be available for this offseason. We can keep this as an item for next off-season though.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Thanks Jon, this is great news

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

I'm just curious, why would a 1 year deal trump a 1+1 TO deal? Wouldn't it make sense that players prefer the longer, non-guaranteed money, instead of expiring and going straight back into free agency? I guess it would probably depend on greed/loyalty ratio, but in general I don't understand how it wouldn't benefit the player to do a 1+1 TO deal over a 1 year deal.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Ramcus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:48 pm I'm just curious, why would a 1 year deal trump a 1+1 TO deal? Wouldn't it make sense that players prefer the longer, non-guaranteed money, instead of expiring and going straight back into free agency? I guess it would probably depend on greed/loyalty ratio, but in general I don't understand how it wouldn't benefit the player to do a 1+1 TO deal over a 1 year deal.
So it definitely depends on the player. There are many situations where a 1+1 TO would be better than a 1 year deal. However, TOs are inherently player-unfriendly. If the player plays well enough to earn more money than his TO, the team will pick up the TO and he will lose out on $. If the player doesn't play well and isn't worth his TO, the team will decline his TO and he doesn't get any money. Either way, the player loses. Why would a player want to sign a contract that has a lose-lose clause at the end of it?

Plus, many of the times a team offers a 1+1 with a TO, it's a minimum (or close to it) contract. Obviously that's not always the case, there are plenty of situations where players are offered more $ and a 1+1 TO, but historically in this league those types of contracts are thrown out for minimums all the time. I think when the league finally drew the line on banning that contract was in response to a free agency period where damn near every minimum contract was a 1+1 TO. There's literally no upside for players to sign a minimum contract with a TO on it. So while a player would prefer to sign a 1+1 TO over not signing anywhere at all, it's certainly not going to be their preferred contract.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Ramcus wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:48 pm I'm just curious, why would a 1 year deal trump a 1+1 TO deal? Wouldn't it make sense that players prefer the longer, non-guaranteed money, instead of expiring and going straight back into free agency? I guess it would probably depend on greed/loyalty ratio, but in general I don't understand how it wouldn't benefit the player to do a 1+1 TO deal over a 1 year deal.
I would say because the control is totally in favour of the team. From a player perspective, I would rate it:

Best - 1 + PO
Middle - 1
Last - 1 + TO

and vice versa for the team
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)