League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Coach Fury Videocast 19 - [joined by Myles and Gary] Early Season Activity

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Coach Fury Videocast 19 - [joined by Myles and Gary] Early Season Activity

Post by Myles »

Joined this time by Myles and Gary
Items covered this episode
1. Highlighting great media
2. Draymond Green
3. Is Dallas the team to beat in the West?

Logo courtesy of RiotPunch

Episode link - https://youtu.be/z2tIxw_u8Yw

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Coach Fury Videocast 19 - [joined by Myles and Gary] Early Season Activity

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Great podcast!

I'll do part 2 indeed.
I'd rather Middleton than Green

Definitely agree with Myles that HiGrade is trying to get a huge talent upgrade for Dray, that's awkward.

And we should definitely do top-100 players again!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Skimmed through parts

Agreed about Green. Either Higrade is stuck with him until he can raise his value, or will have to take a subpar deal. That hurts Greens stock.

And another 100 top players would be cool
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Wonder if it's realistic to get a "consensus" top 100? Put it out to all GM's to send in a list. Compile the averages and see where everyone lands. If we put enough time behind it and a deadline, just use whatever is sent in by then - hopefully a decent amount. Then, do the same thing with the release. . .

I'd be happy to initiate with everyone and pull it altogether with my commentary (welcome anyone else's). Just not so sure it's feasible to get responses. I think trying to rate 100 players is very difficult. At least a lot more than I would expect as I sit here typing and thinking about it :oops:
Clown.Show.League

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Ocons wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:49 pm Wonder if it's realistic to get a "consensus" top 100? Put it out to all GM's to send in a list. Compile the averages and see where everyone lands. If we put enough time behind it and a deadline, just use whatever is sent in by then - hopefully a decent amount. Then, do the same thing with the release. . .

I'd be happy to initiate with everyone and pull it altogether with my commentary (welcome anyone else's). Just not so sure it's feasible to get responses. I think trying to rate 100 players is very difficult. At least a lot more than I would expect as I sit here typing and thinking about it :oops:
It's REALLY hard to find 100 players to be in that list. For real!
Imagine doing a consensus top-100

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

I think that survey method would work if we cut down to top 50 players.
Big changes are coming in D.C.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 pm I think that survey method would work if we cut down to top 50 players.
Sounds like fun. I'm down
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

I mean, really, people can submit as many players as they want. If you submit 25, those 25 guys will fall into place where they are, etc.
Clown.Show.League

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

So I did this for the fantasy baseball website I write for, we compiled a consensus top 300, and I found a lot of players listed in the same spot on lists because that’s where they were originally when the list was sent out, and everyone was like “eh, close enough.” The only way to do a consensus ranking, if it’s at all possible, is to give people a list and have them rate the player 1-10, and then average those ratings out. I’m not positive that will work, but it’s how ESPN does their annual player ranking.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Good point. I wasn't even thinking that. . Was just going to say send me your top rankings from scratch. . .see where that ended up.
Clown.Show.League

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

That holds true as long as people are really interested in being HONEST with their rankings.

We've seen some strange All-Star voting here so it's hard to believe that. :D

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Lol Drummond or Draymond

Good listen though perhaps could've not done similar articles (rookies) but good cast guys

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:13 pm I think that survey method would work if we cut down to top 50 players.
or top 10 at each position would be cool too, since i know some people value some positions more than others

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Good listen as always. Love these podcasts. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to get on one of these (schedule permitting).

Nice job bringing up creative and fun articles. I loved Kevin’s preseason article as well. It was simple, creative, fun, unbiased, generated discussion. I also liked that Kevin got a pat on the back for his positive attitude the past few months lol.
I’m generally positive with articles, but I will speak up if I feel an article isn’t genuine. I have very little tolerance for articles that are like “Look at these unbiased rankings of players I came up with. Oh wow, look at that, a lot of my players are way up at the top and are rated as superstars by my unbiased formula that I won’t release for anyone to check or verify. Ignore all the potential flaws that immediately come to mind and just trust me that it’s a very accurate formula and my guys just happen to be up at the top because they’re the best.” Rankings/formulas that can’t be verified or critiqued have zero credibility to me and come across as utter rubbish.

Draymond is a very talented player. If his discipline were higher, I think fewer teams would have reservations about him and he'd be traded already. I'd be surprised if he's not traded by the deadline though. I have absolutely no idea where he'll go, but I think he gets moved.

Dallas is up there in the West, but I don't know how you can put them as the favorite over Sacramento (as things currently stand). The Kings haven't had their starting center all year and they're still the #1 seed right now. I do agree that the Mavs' team has better cohesion this year with a team that fits much better, so if Sacramento were to falter in some way (via injury or trading WB away for future assets), the Mavs are the next team in line imo.

As for a top 100 player list, I'd much rather see a select few knowledgeable, trustworthy GMs come up with the list of players. I love our GMs, but if you want an accurate list (or one that's pretty close at least), giving a survey to all of the GMs and asking them to vote and then compiling the results is just a recipe for disaster. Some GMs will come up with good lists, some will play the politics game (i.e. voting for players on teams/GMs they like while omitting players on teams/GMs they don't like), some just won't take it seriously, and others will just be clueless with their votes.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

GreenBear wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am that can’t be verified or critiqued....
cant be critiqued :roll: You have all the stats to criticze it all you want. Prove something/anything instead of just whinning. Id even let you weigh the stats Ill post both rankings and show everyone how much more superior yours is to mine. If you have a clue theyll come back similar and we can go back to crying about pace.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Silogical wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 am
GreenBear wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am that can’t be verified or critiqued....
cant be critiqued :roll: You have all the stats to criticze it all you want. Prove something/anything instead of just whinning. Id even let you weigh the stats Ill post both rankings and show everyone how much more superior yours is to mine. If you have a clue theyll come back similar and we can go back to crying about pace.
No, I don't have the stats because I don't know what makes up the formula. You list a bunch of stats, which are all based on a per game basis, but then you say things like "my formula accounts for guys playing less minutes or coming off the bench", so those stats mean very little.

Either share the formula or not, I don't care. But when you publish rankings from a formula you won't share, the rankings become worthless, and I'm going to call them out every time. It's like presenting findings at some conference and then expecting everyone to believe said findings without sharing how exactly you arrived there. They could be legitimate... But you need to show your work if you want it to be accepted.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Oops
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This is getting juicy.
Big changes are coming in D.C.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Also, thanks for the shout out Myles. I certainly try to be as active as I can and really do enjoy writing articles - just don't always have the time for it.

Additionally, I might be in the minority but almost all of my activity is on my computer. I check on my phone and scroll through but don't like responding there.
Clown.Show.League

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Nice and entertaining pod.
I'm not always able to listen to them but did this time.

Thanks for mentioning my article, really appreciate that and it is nice to hear that other GM's are interested in stories around other teams. Just add's some motivation to come up with more.

For the Green discussion. I like him and would put him before a few of the discussed list, but I think Highgrade is ranking him higher as most. Makes it hard to trade him. But having him on your roster clearly doesn't hurt :-)

As for Dallas being the favorite for the trophy I'm with Doug.
I think Sacramento is the best team right now. But Dallas has a real good shot, since no one knows who peaks at the right time, who gets injuries and so on.
After the Kings its still Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix as the next in line. And even OKC, Utah, Miami and Boston have a shot since they have the players who can get hot and carry the team.