League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

BI's Spotlight #15 - Dylan

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

BI's Spotlight #15 - Dylan

Post by blackice »

This will be the fifteenth in a series of articles spotlighting different GM's in the league and picking the brains of the braintrust here in the league. Each one will have customized questions that vary in terms of detail and intention. Some will be directly tied to the GM's team, some will be more directed to the league as a whole - all will relate in some form or fashion to basketball. Each article is worth scouting points for a full Insider article. The fifteenth interview is with Dylan, so let's kick this off.

1. What got you into basketball? How did you find the CSL and what prompted you to join?

Basketball's been a part of my life forever. Pretty much started with watching the New Jersey Nets growing up with my dad. I lived only a few minutes away from their arena in Jersey so I grew up going to games all the time to watch Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter.

I actually originally found R2G I think from a buddy of mine named Matt. Don't know if he was ever in R2G or if he was how long, but that's how I got started. After things went south in that league, Myles and I created CSL and here we are all these years later. I was a literal child then and now I'm a 23 year old man, so I grew up with this league.

2. Tell is about the situation you took over with the Clippers? How would you assess the team you took over and what was the goal moving forward with the team?

The situation here was rough as you would know best BI. Screwed by DDS 3 with Lillard walking for no apparent reason when I got here, and it led to a pretty bare cupboard. Very few picks remaining and the team's star just left for nothing.

I think the timeline to the playoffs could have been sped up a bit but my goal is to build a lasting contender. I've done a lot of wheeling and dealing in an effort to find that core, but I think I might finally be getting there.

3. How long do you think it will take to push this team into playoff contention and how long until it's a contender?

I don't think it's unrealistic to think we'll be vying for a playoff spot next season. Without control of my pick, next year, it will certainly be the goal. At this point, I'm hoping to contend for a playoff spot starting next year and we'll see where it goes from there.

I have a lot to learn on the coaching front before I contend for titles, but that'll come with time.

4. Take us behind the scenes on the deal for Mikal Bridges and how do you feel he is performing thus far?

The deal for Bridges came together pretty quickly honestly. I messaged Dejan with a general inquiry about a McCoy/Bridges deal and about two or three days later he messaged me back that he was in for it. Wasn't much back and forth, pretty much just a couple of messages and boom.

Bridges is someone I've had my eye on for a long time but I kind of figured he was unavailable. I kind of envisioned a defense-first team especially once I drafted Rui, and Bridges is about as good as they get for 3&D guys we all covet. He's a limited player for sure without much of an offensive game beyond being an outside shooter, but he does what he's good at and he does it really really well.

5. Tell us about the pick for Cam Reddish, take us behind the scenes?

The Cam Reddish pick was difficult, but he was pretty much my guy from the beginning. It ended up coming down to Reddish, Bowen, and Barrett for me. Given I'm envisioning more of a defensive-minded team, Ky Bowman was never a serious consideration for me.

Bowen was the most tempting, but I felt I needed a bit more of a dynamic offensive player even if my goal is a defensive-minded squad. Someone who can create and will be one of the best shooters in the league once he develops (take my word on that, if he develops he'll be elite outside) while still being respectable enough on D. His mid-range game also played a factor as he'll be a very capable shooter from there as well which is an area that not a ton of players are real good at at this point.

6. Tell us about your young core and what piece is missing?

Steady point guard play that doesn't turn the ball over is the thing I'm missing the most at this point I'd say. Russell is a talented scorer, but he's been a turnover machine for me regardless of the offensive system I play. I think a bit more of a steady hand at point and a center upgrade over Myles Turner and I'll have a pretty much perfect core.

7. Finally, who do you feel will be your rival moving forward in the division and in the conference?

It's gotta be the Lakers, right? We've been at the bottom of the division together for a while now and are both on the comp up together with really nice young cores. It's on us to take over the division from Sacramento and Phoenix and the rising Warriors.

I hope you enjoyed this look into yet another integral player of this league, and if you are interested in being interviewed please express your interest either in this thread or a PM if you prefer. It'll be first come first serve, and I'll gauge interest and go from there.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Re: BI's Spotlight #15 - Dylan

Post by emplep7 »

Hah, i cant believe you're still only 23 since I feel like you've been around sim leagues (dmend) for a long time. Makes me feel like an old man.

You have definitely turned this team around though now and I can easily see you vying for a playoff spot next year. With some more improvements, this team have a bright future again finally.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:49 pm Hah, i cant believe you're still only 23 since I feel like you've been around sim leagues (dmend) for a long time. Makes me feel like an old man.
yeah this is the craziest for me also, I thought Dylan was a year or two younger than me, not 5 :shock:

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Thanks for doing this BI.

Yeah I was a very eager youngster when this league first start. I basically grew up with CSL lol

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Didn't know you are a CSL founder as well :-)
Another reason this series of interview is a great idea!!

As for the Clips, I think you were not too lucky with the lottery and still did a good job assembling a young and talented roster.
Also the LaVine trade looks like it pays off right away. It seems the team is playing on another level. Maybe that is the kind of player the team can group around and the way they play lately, the playoffs are not out of reach.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

yes lakers and clippers are on the way up it will be a tough division soon and you could be a playoff contender next year the way your playing now

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

The Clippers seemed to really start clicking after acquiring Lavine. He's one of those dudes that's seemingly been in the CSL forever but somehow is still in his prime at age 30, and you have him under contract for next year. So I'm really curious to see how your team does next year, especially with another off-season to add to your squad and have another year of TC development for your young guys.

I'm a big fan of Bridges' game (love glue guys like that), and I am looking forward to watching Reddish develop his game and become the type of offensive hub I think he can become for your team with a couple nice TCs.

I think you nailed your biggest need to address (steady PG play), and I have no doubt you'll work hard on fixing that.