League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Fixing Central Teams’ Weak Links (2 of 6)

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Fixing Central Teams’ Weak Links (2 of 6)

Post by Marcos_Beck »

We’re back, guys!
Today we’re gonna talk about one of the scariest divisions in the CSL, the Central, with the 2nd part of our 6-article series on how to fix every team’s biggest weakness with trade ideas, with detailed comments and reasoning behind all suggestions to make it even more real.

I’d be lying if I said I know nothing about teams at that point as I’ve been spending several of my rare free times studying teams, players and even possible good targets for when I have a team (and also to help Doug with the Suns while I’m his assistant, even though there are currently zero moves on the horizon for a ready contender like Phoenix). So this should become increasingly better when it comes to finding realistic trade ideas!

Without further delay, let's get into the Central rosters now:

Cleveland Cavaliers
The Cavs feature good defense at most spots, plus some solid offensive contributors, but no true alpha to lead them offensively. The Payton / Holiday / Collins trio guarantees them enough to scare teams defensively, yet they have no true rim protector either to start or even come off the bench, plus their rebounding pieces aren't great either. So, either a leading scorer or a defensive PF/C would do wonders for this team, as it's almost impossible to find a big man with a true two-way game with their limited assets.
There's one player I believe to be the perfect addition for that Cleveland team, which is Pelicans' James Young. He has enough scoring potential to share #1 duties with Stauskas and Blake Griffin (occasionally), plus he's a very competent defender, which current starter Doug McDermott isn't. And with Bryce Cotton at their bench, Cleveland has the perfect piece to offer NOP on a deal, as Young isn't a great fit with Markkanen needing more shots, and Ish Smith shouldn't be enough at the helm for the Pelicans. Young would be able to slide in at SF, bring some scoring, secondary playmaking, solid defense and 3 years younger. Of course, NOP could probably want to stick with Young due to age difference, but the Cavs can also add McDermott and bring back Jawun Evans, giving the Pelicans a shooter to come off the bench and the Cavs a solid backup for Payton.

Indiana Pacers
The Pacers have traded Michael Porter to Sacramento and received a haul of draft picks in compensation. That move suggests they are aiming for the future instead of competing now, even if Patton and Semi, both players who massively benefited from Porter's departure with more playing time, are looking like promising players and ready contributors. Indiana has both forward spots locked up, but if they want to compete, they'll need to vastly upgrade the backcourt and add a dominant rebounder.
One realistic scenario for the would be to trade Nick Johnson, a solid veteran who adds defense, 3pt shooting and athleticism overall, to a contender. That could land them a late first at best or a young prospect for them to develop, and would give Jaxson Hayes and some other young players the time they need to further develop into starting options. Along that, they could focus on upgrading the backcourt with their 1st rounders.
I won't mention players to target since there are several young players filled with potential that could fit Indiana's long term plan, but the idea is clear, continue to add value, rely on internal development and see it pays off in 2-3 years when everyone is ready to ball.

Chicago Bulls
The reining champs lost MKG, a key contributor to their suffocating defense, plus several rotation players like McRae, Carroll, Bledsoe and even Anthony Davis have regressed this offseason in terms of ability. While Davis should still be the best player in the league and a true superstar, it's hard to preview the impact of the declines on the other players. Chicago has the 1 locked with Payne, Davis to play the 4 and Birutis at the 5. Bledsoe should be their starting SG, but they could use an improvement at SF, since Robinson isn't a starting caliber player on a title contender, and Carroll, while a solid player, is clearly the weak link in that starting group.
Targeting a player like Joe Ingles from Portland to help replicate the elite defense of MKG at the 3 is a fantastic option for the Bulls, specially since he can help mitigate the loss of Milos' elite passing and add a 3 ball MKG didn't possess. Of course, won't be easy to pry him from Portland, but given his contract and his tendency to dominate the ball (which Marcus Smart would probably benefit a lot from more touches), an offer of Carroll (to keep the level of defense and shooting high) and a future first rounder could be interesting for both teams. The Blazers wouldn't need to worry about paying Ingles almost 15M in his 32 and 33 year old seasons, while Chicago would gladly do it, and the Blazers would acquire a pick that could become very good as the Bulls continue to regress. It's an all in move for Chicago but a worth one.

Detroit Pistons
What does the Piston need? A team that drafted 3rd in the last season despite being one of the most successful teams in the league and now is having a hard time finding minutes for Brian Bower can only think about one thing: consolidate. The combination of SJJ / Adebayo is deadly inside, Gates is a helluva defender, and Murray is a scoring / playmaking machine. They clearly could use someone better than Livingston (who's a good player at his own but maybe not good enough to chase a ring) at point in order for the gear to work properly in Detroit. Very few teams would be willing to part with the kind of player Detroit want, but as we're thinking about possibilities here, two players come ahead of the others for fit / likelyhood of being traded: Cavs' Elfrid Payton and Raptors' Cory Joseph.
Payton would be the perfect guard next to Murray with elite defensive instincts, handles and the unique willingness to let Murray dominate the ball offensively. The cons are he's highly valued for the Cavs and already 32. Joseph on the other hand adds a ton of individual defense, size and a dominant scoring presence for the Pistons, while being the younger option.
Both deals would be on the table should Detroit is willing to part with Bowen for immediate talent upgrades, as both teams badly needs a SF for now and the future, and Bowen is a future starter at the Small Forward for years to come, also ready to contribute now. How to find deals that can balance age / talent / fit / contract? That's up to Jon if any of the names interests him.

Milwaukee Bucks
Always considered the 5th team in Central, the Bucks are ready to prove everyone wrong this season, as their young talent has finally develop to the point that they have a very solid starting unit. Morant and Brown are locks to start at the back court for the next 10 seasons, Ingram is their best player and current SF, and WCJ is a fantastic C or even a PF at the right system with his ELITE rebounding and fundamentally solid defense. Right now, Maker would complete the starting unit, with Gafford also asking for minutes, however they could use a more ready now option inside along Carter.
It's hard to see Manu trading for that player, given his style of GMing and also the age / contract involved here, but Michael Kidd-Gilchrist would be a fantastic option at the 4 for the Bucks, improving their team considerably. He would bring amazing defense, capable of defending 2-4, and also enough defensive playmaking the Bucks lack right now, while keeping the ball on the hands of the perimeter trio who would then be able to shine offensively.
It's likely everything being said about Milwaukee is totally different from Manu's vision of his team, yet MKG would undeniably give them the defensive stopper they don't have right now and the missing link to an amazing starting unit!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: Fixing Central Teams’ Weak Links (2 of 6)

Post by Rizzo »

Another great read. Seems like a lot of these teams are just one move away from completing their team nicely, except for the Pacers who are clearly in a rebuild.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Rizzo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:55 am Another great read. Seems like a lot of these teams are just one move away from completing their team nicely, except for the Pacers who are clearly in a rebuild.
Yeah, for most of the Eastern Conference teams, one move could be the difference between a top-4 spot or being out of the playoffs IMO.
In the West it will be different, but it's funnier that way cause I can speculate deals for consolidation or rebuilding projects!

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I love these pieces. Thanks Marcos

I love how my suggestion was just sell vet for picks haha. I don’t think I can get a lot in return for Nick Johnson, let alone a 1st round pick. If I could I would sell him immediately.

You are right that the backcourt remains a priority for us going forward. Ojeleye and Patton will be Pacers for a long time
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 am I love these pieces. Thanks Marcos

I love how my suggestion was just sell vet for picks haha. I don’t think I can get a lot in return for Nick Johnson, let alone a 1st round pick. If I could I would sell him immediately.

You are right that the backcourt remains a priority for us going forward. Ojeleye and Patton will be Pacers for a long time
I mean, it's hard to find suitable young players to serve as targets, specially for a guy like Johnson. We're not talking about James Harden from LAC who commands a higher return than just a late first rounder / prospect, that's why I was able to dive into the Harden - for - Turner deal.
You could use any backcourt piece, or even a front court bench player, could be an offensive or a defensive one, all you gotta do is keep collecting pieces and players for the future while guys like Hayes develops, that's why I didn't point out one or two particular players to target. I guess you would trade Nick Johnson for most of those former first rounders from the last draft and there are no special players in the mid-late first round, but it's worthy for you as you're not using Johnson, why not take a flyer on a young guy with some potential, maybe you find a gem, if not, you lost absolutely nothing...

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Nice read. Yeah, I could be interested with Ingles but I would prefer a more younger defensive stud to fill up the gap left by MKG. Actually, I've already started the youth movement, one of the reason I traded Milos for Payne was because of age. So, expect this team to get younger as we go along. I just need takers of the others lol
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Good read man and this is a killer division to be in. Indy is the only team that has taken more of a rebuilding approach to take them out of the running, but they are still very deep and talented. I expect the Bucks to take a step forward this year too after their late season run last year so it will be a battle to the end.

As for us, I'm not really sure what we are doing yet but we need to move some of our players (although its pretty nice having a lot of DC options to throw at teams) in order to give some other guys more minutes. The biggest problem is that I'm not sure what type of player I'm looking for, but think I know what positions I want to upgrade at this point.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:06 pm Good read man and this is a killer division to be in. Indy is the only team that has taken more of a rebuilding approach to take them out of the running, but they are still very deep and talented. I expect the Bucks to take a step forward this year too after their late season run last year so it will be a battle to the end.

As for us, I'm not really sure what we are doing yet but we need to move some of our players (although its pretty nice having a lot of DC options to throw at teams) in order to give some other guys more minutes. The biggest problem is that I'm not sure what type of player I'm looking for, but think I know what positions I want to upgrade at this point.
Really, really hard to find possible upgrades for your team. I know you love Livingston, but in a starting group of Murray, Gates, SJJ, Bam, he seems to be the “least good” (lol) piece, and the most viable upgrade, specially if you could land a defensive piece to take the hardest backcourt matchup every night.
Hard, hard indeed to find suitable players and possible deals. I wish you luck Jon!

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Actually a division all teams are moving into the right direction. Just the Pistons are unfixable.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Another fantastic read Marco's, great works. As for the team fits I think James Young is a nice fit with CLE although he seems like a guy who will get his numbers but isn't always the best fit in terms of improving a team. Still his offense would do well with the defensive minded Cavs. I think IND will stay pat and position themselves for a bottom 10 finish so they get their 1st this year. Nick Johnson is still a nice 3&D player though and might not be too pricy. I LOVE Joe Ingles for the Bulls but they might not want to part with what it would cost for him. I'm not sleeping on the Bulls though, they're a proven championship team. The Pistons + Payton or Joseph would be a super team and likely the favourite to come out of the East but I don't plan on moving Joseph and Payton is the heart and soul of the Cavs so I don't see a deal for them but the mindset is correct - the Pistons are going for a chip this year to join the other 2 time CSL champions. MKG is a nice fit with a young Bucks team who could use a veteran leader. Great work Marcos again.
Ball is Life.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Nice analyse again Marcos!

I think James Young for the Cavs would be a good fit and if Lucas can get a late first for Nick he will not have any problem shipping him out the same second. Not he would need more 1st's tho :-)

Joe Ingles to Chicago would be a huge get. I'm not sure if they have the assets to pull that one off.
But yeah a future Bulls pick is worth something, they are not getting any younger. Really like how Ingles looks in the new engine and even before that.

Elfried Payton to Detroit? Seems to be a fit, tough out defense.
And Jon has all kind of pieces to send to the Cavs for it. Hope it doesn't happen tho. Not sure how we can get our revenge this year!

I don't think Manu would trade for MKG (which I like a lot) and neither would I in his shoes. It is good to have some vets on your team, but it seems he is quite a bit older than the whole Bucks team. They still grow together and they have a defense stud in Carter on the roster.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Really nice article, Marcos. As Andy said, we're not trading for MKG, he just does not fit our window. That being said, after starting 0-4 with the same strats and rotation of our 20-5 run last season, we're in the trading market.
ImageImageImageImageImage