League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Contender or Pretender?

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Contender or Pretender?

Post by Dylan »

Contender or Pretender: Who can win the CSL Title?

As we enter into March of the 2022-23 CSL season we’re about three quarters of the way through. It's time for the real teams to stand up and separate themselves from the pack. Today, we sort through who the real contenders for the CSL title are, and who will choke when it starts to matter.

1. Phoenix Suns Image

After following up their 2020 CSL Championship with getting swept in the first round last season, Phoenix and GM GreenBear hold the best record in the CSL right now at 46-16, and have been steady and consistent all year long. Led by all-stars Isaiah Taylor and Isaiah Austin, this team has all the makeup of a true contender once again. Elite on the defensive end, steady on the offensive end, and a smart general manager at the helm to take them all the way.

Additionally, this is a team with a ton of depth. Regularly going 10 deep, Greenbear has a lot of reliable options at his disposal, although, this may not be a strength that matters all that much come playoff time, when starters are relied on much more heavily.

The Suns biggest weakness, which may lead to some serious issues in the postseason, is a lack of outside shooting. They rank in the bottom third of the league in 3P%, and none of their starters can be considered good three point shooters. Isaiah Austin is shooting 44% from outside, but has only shot 32 total threes on the year, and their best three shooters TJ McConnell, Isaiah Whitehead and Terrance Ferguson, aren't their best players and may have too many shortcomings in other areas to receive huge playoff minutes.

Regardless, with a great defense, and still an ability to score with the best of them without outside shooting, this is a formidable contender. They may risk getting zoned pretty hard in the playoffs, but with smart managing they should still be a serious threat to win it all.

Verdict: CONTENDER

2. Sacramento Kings Image

The next best CSL team this year also comes from the Pacific division, as Bt and the Kings have been right at the top all season long. As balanced a team as you’ll see around the CSL, the Kings aren’t led by a single star, but more of a collective effort from a whole rotation’s worth of players who can play on both ends of the floor. The league’s stingiest defense, the Kings allow just 96 points per game, while still being solid enough offensively scoring 105.

After a last minute deadline deal that saw Sacramento deal starting point guard, and impending free agent, Elfrid Payton for a package around Ricky Rubio and Nick Johnson, a few questions were raised. Payton is a solid floor general and a truly elite defender, however, Rubio’s lesser but still good defense and the addition of Nick Johnson as a yet another very capable guard still leaves them in a very good spot. Those two, to go along with Isaiah Cousins, Derrick White, Jaylen Adams and the impending return of a CSL all-star Russell Westbrook, this team is still absolutely loaded at guard.

While the Kings have been just mediocre lately, just 6-6 in their last 12 games, I’m going to chalk that up to more of just experimenting than a sign of future things to come. Bt has been testing out some different lineups and is also preparing for a Westbrook return. Can they get through the rest of the crowded top of the Western conference though? After losing to the champs last year in the second round, I think they’re poised to be once again in the thick of it in the top of the Western.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder Image

Even if Andrew might not think all too highly of me, respect is given where it’s due. After going on an amazing run last year as the 4th seed to win the title, Andrew and his Thunder have been even better this regular season. A team filled with elite talents on both ends of the floor, OKC is set up to make another run.

A dynamic backcourt featuring Thompson and Bledsoe, (though Andrew has been playing Thompson off the bench in favor of the better defender Jordan McRae), to go along with elite defenders on the wing and a dominant big man in Stanley Johnson, the Thunder are balanced and deadly across their rotation. Their biggest weakness seems to be depth, but that isn’t really an issue come playoff time.

Andrew has figured out his strategies needed to compete at the highest level in the CSL. Of course this is a team to take seriously, and seems poised to battle to become the first ever back-to-back CSL champion.

4. Boston Celtics Image

Finally, we get to take a look at a team from the Eastern Conference. Dennis has his Celtics in the thick of it every year in the East, however hasn’t gotten the job done come playoff time. After a 4-1 loss to Miami last year in round two, Dennis has managed his team to lead the Eastern Conference so far this season. Is he poised to finally make the move and make the CSL Finals?

They’re led by second-year guard De’Aaron Fox, who despite being so young, seems primed to be the centerpiece on a championship contender. He’s terrific offensively and surprisingly good defensively. Two-guard Isaia Cordinier is also a great defender, but the frontcourt leaves a bit to be desired on that end of the court for a potential title team, leading to a team that just doesn’t stack up defensively with the other title contenders.

Boston is set up to win both now and in the future, with their core guys all under the age of 24, as well as two potential top 10 picks with the Clippers and Hornets picks. They could have made moves to win-now and put themselves in position to be a title favorite, but chose to stay put and take the long-view. As a result, they’re not a true title contender to me. They’re still to be taken seriously though, and will absolutely be no pushover come playoff time.

Verdict: PRETENDER

5. Miami Heat Image

After a tough loss in the CSL Finals last season, Silo has the Heat back in contention for another chance to win it all. Loaded with talented players and a dynamite offense, the Heat are dangerous and seem to me like the top contender from the East once again.

They’re led by Ben Simmons who’s been one of the top players in the CSL this season, just a dominant offensive player across the board despite being a poor outside shooter. Miami has plenty of good shooters around him however, as their 40% three-point shooting has them atop the league in points per game by nearly 5 points a game.

Defensively, like Boston they struggle a bit in comparison to other contenders. A few of their key players, Simmons, Kyle Kuzma, Dennis Smith, PJ Washington and Tony Carr aren’t very good defenders. While they can outgun any team, when things tighten up in the playoffs and they’re playing the elite, will they be able to get away with max zoning everyone?

It worked well enough last year to get themselves to the CSL Finals and they are absolutely stacked with offensive talent at all positions. This team to me is definitely a contender and the favorite to make it out of the east once again.

6. Houston Rockets Image

Despite starting the season just 11-13, Biz and the Rockets have rebounded to put themselves in the mix as a top team heading into the playoffs. They fit Phil Jackson’s “40 wins before 20 losses” rule as he pointed out, so does that make them a true contender?

A huge early season trade to bring in Kemba Walker fortified the Rockets and gave them one of the most interesting and dynamic backcourts in the league. While they struggled immediately after the deal, they found a combination that works with Kemba, the natural point at the 2 and Malik Monk, the natural two-guard at the point. It allows Monk to create and limit the turnovers, and they get Kemba’s better defense at the two.

With Monk being a poor defender, they have to hide him defensively and they done a solid job so far this year. Filled with decent enough defenders throughout their rotation, they’re not enough of a liability defensively to prevent them from being a true contender. Additionally, they’re the best shooting team we’ve listed so far. Great shooting with solid enough defense should be a recipe for success.

An incredibly hot stretch should put them right in the mix, however, they’re still looking up at some real powerhouses. While Houston does have the star power with Karl Anthony-Towns, Monk and Kemba, I just don’t know that they have enough juice throughout the rest of their rotation to take down the top dogs. As a result, purely because of being in a really tough conference, I’m not sure they have enough to be a true contender.

Verdict: PRETENDER

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Re: Contender or Pretender?

Post by KW »

30-6 just sayin

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

BizGilwalker wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:20 am 30-6 just sayin
You were honestly the hardest for me to do because I can't have 5 contenders and 1 pretender and you've been really good obviously.

If you played in the East you'd be my pick to make the Finals though lol

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I want to believe we are a contender but I’m definitely concerned this isn’t our year. Not even thinking about how strong the West is. Might want to set my goals as a 2nd round exit lol

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

We are still too young as many didn't have their endurance boost yet. But to be honest, it's vice versa. Our real strength is our front court, not the back court. I'm super surprised to see you think different. Also, what many don't take into account. We aren't even close to play our best game yet. Anybody noticed we are playing a pathetic 1 pace, 5 di, 1 zone and 1 fcp all season long? Others are using those tactics to tank. We just want to stay healthy.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

They all have the roster to pull it of. I think a big factor are the last 15 games going into the playoffs and of course if every team can avoid key injuries. Last year it felt OKC went into the playoffs close to their peak and used it thru all series.
Boston and Houston could time it similar and go all the way, but I agree that Phoenix and Sacramento seem to have a little bit better roster on paper.

And curious to see who is this years Jabari and goes crazy pulling his team around.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Ah PS: I just forgot to add.. Also I think our real strength is defense when you look at margin/FG% allowed/blocks/steals. Our weakness is that we can't hit FTs and have something else going wrong that I don't want to talk in public about. But our D, especially with the tactics we run, is pretty Damn good.

Still, we are like 2 years away from being a real contender. Most thought we are a top5 eastern CF team prior to the season anyway or didn't see us making the postseason last season. So we are still ahead of schedule!

CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Flaming Homer wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:46 am They all have the roster to pull it of. I think a big factor are the last 15 games going into the playoffs and of course if every team can avoid key injuries. Last year it felt OKC went into the playoffs close to their peak and used it thru all series.
Boston and Houston could time it similar and go all the way, but I agree that Phoenix and Sacramento seem to have a little bit better roster on paper.

And curious to see who is this years Jabari and goes crazy pulling his team around.
Yeah I was really trying to turn my 2024 Clippers pick and/or Justin Patton into a win-now piece for this season to really push the team over the top. I still question whether my team has enough 3-point shooting, we're more reliant on Monk than I'd like to be at this point. I know I won a title with way less shooting than this but the league has changed a lot since the last time I even won a playoff series, and I obviously don't have Harden.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

The Kemba factor could be key.
KAT is steady and will hold down the fort but Kemba if getting hot, could be the one who makes the difference.
Monk probably needs 1-2 years more to be more consistent.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

MIA can exploit certain teams shifting Ben Simmons (and even PJ Washington) from SF to PF to C (although we are 2-1 against that exploit which I thought was changed during last offseason) so they'll be tough.

I kinda agree with Dennis as his frontcourt (Skai in particular) is the guy that usually plays very well when they win, moreso than Fox.

I think the title goes back thru OKC as the Kings lost something when they moved Payton who has shown it was more of the Kings system vs his talent as he hasn't played all too well in CLE as of yet.

Depends on the matchups as well as DEN and GS are a force that may be able to overtake PHX.

Hate to say it but I think the West wins the title again...

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 am We are still too young as many didn't have their endurance boost yet. But to be honest, it's vice versa. Our real strength is our front court, not the back court. I'm super surprised to see you think different. Also, what many don't take into account. We aren't even close to play our best game yet. Anybody noticed we are playing a pathetic 1 pace, 5 di, 1 zone and 1 fcp all season long? Others are using those tactics to tank. We just want to stay healthy.
strats have little to do with injuries. You ran the same low strats last season and were injured. Total minutes is the most important factor and your guys are putting in some work.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:57 am
Dennis wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:41 am We are still too young as many didn't have their endurance boost yet. But to be honest, it's vice versa. Our real strength is our front court, not the back court. I'm super surprised to see you think different. Also, what many don't take into account. We aren't even close to play our best game yet. Anybody noticed we are playing a pathetic 1 pace, 5 di, 1 zone and 1 fcp all season long? Others are using those tactics to tank. We just want to stay healthy.
strats have little to do with injuries. You ran the same low strats last season and were injured. Total minutes is the most important factor and your guys are putting in some work.
Im pretty sure it’s a combination of both. Should start resting players, that’s true, but due to some stuff happening in real life I’ve just not much time to think about csl atm

CSL Champions Image 2028

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I think its pretty open this year for anyone to sneak in and potentially win it all. There are weaknesses on every team and itll be interesting to see how the Kings play with WB back (in years past it hasn't always been smooth transitioning him back). The Heat losing Lillard makes them more beatable and I think Boston will make some noise this year.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good read, and I think this year should be a very interesting one, as it seems like there isn't a super dominant team out there, but instead quite a few very good teams who can take it all. In the end it will be about who can stay healthy during the playoffs.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Forgot to respond to the piece about our defense:

I'm not concerned on that front. Monk does give up a bit on that end, but when he doesn't stop drives, it doesn't hurt us a ton. For one, Kemba more than makes up for him... and two, anybody else on the floor with him can defend the drive. I invite teams into the paint, they'll have to deal with 2-3 of Towns, Looney, Aminu, Bender, or Mika at all times. I'm actually more confident in my team's defense than the offense against the elite teams.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I can't really disagree with your analysis here. I would consider the Sun's a pretender too, even though they have the best record in the league. Ish Smith in the playoffs will be exposed easily and they are still very young. No knock on them, they are over performing this year.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Andrewu91 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:34 pm I can't really disagree with your analysis here. I would consider the Sun's a pretender too, even though they have the best record in the league. Ish Smith in the playoffs will be exposed easily and they are still very young. No knock on them, they are over performing this year.
We'll see about that.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Really good article.

To be honest, all teams would have to be considered contenders I guess. There's probably a couple of games separating all of them but most teams are coasting on purpose so when the serious stuff rolls around, rotations will tighten, minutes will grow and I expect we'll see some differences. Maybe not the Rockets as they had to come from a fair way back to get into this mix.

I think we're really well positioned. We've had the best record in the league a lot of this season (6-6 recently has dropped us back a bit) but we've monitored minutes, got our young guys some burn and have an all star returning so I like where we are. We haven't had an injury free run since we won the title and no disrespect to OKC but we beat them last season with Nurkic and Westbrook who both will be present this year. That's how it plays out though as the Suns lost Austin the year we won so it'll play out however it's meant to.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Yup injuries have pretty much determined the Finals every season I've been here.
Cleveland Cavaliers

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

and yeah, Cavs lost Griffin too. It just happens.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027