League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents

New Coach Hiring System

Myles
Commissioner

New Coach Hiring System

Post by Myles » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 pm

So last off-season, it came to our attention that DDS uses a very simple tie-breaker for when coaches receive the exact same offer, and that's TeamID, which means that certain teams will always have the advantage and other teams will always have the disadvantage. So we've decided to move to a slightly different system to even the playing field a bit. Here's how the new system will work.

1. Create a priority list for every coaching vacancy you have. You must have at least three names for each vacancy, but the more, the better. The list will look like this:

Head Coach
1. John Calipari
2. Jim Boeheim
3. Billy Donovan
4. John Wooden

1st Assistant
1. Jim Boeheim
2. Bill Self
3. Shaka Smart

3rd Assistant
1. Roy Williams
2. Tom Izzo
3. Sean Miller

2. PM the list to The Simmer, and post in the Coach Hiring thread that you have sent the PM so we can make sure we have all the PMs.

3. You can still fire coaches during this process, just make sure to include that at the TOP of your PM.

4. We will assign coaches via the following priority:

A) Position offered. A coach offered a head coach spot will always take that job over an offer to be an assistant, 1st assistant takes priority over 2nd assistant, and so on.
B) Where the coach ranks on your list. Obviously, we will work down each list, so that every team can get the highest coach possible. If Team A ranks a coach as second on your list of head coaching candidates, but Team B lists them as their #1 candidate, Team B will get the coach.
C) For any ties that present themselves (multiple teams list the same candidate as their head coach candidate #1, for example), a random number generator will determine who gets the coach.

If you have any questions, feel free to fire away below.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: New Coach Hiring System

Post by Jestor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Much needed, thank you!

Raidercj
General Manager

Post by Raidercj » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I like the new system.
New Orleans Pelicans

Starters: Brandon Knight | Roy Devyn Marble | Chandler Parsons | Anthony Davis | Nikola Vucevic

Alternatives:Joe Jackson | Monte Morris | Malcolm Brogdon | Julian Washburn | Jared Sullinger | Miles Plumlee

Reserves: Tyler Dorsey | Nicolas Brussino

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Nice! Good system implemented!
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Silogical
Senior Vice President

Post by Silogical » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Its a decent system. A coach re-signing with their current team should come before a random number generator. Then it would be a great system.

Myles
Commissioner

Post by Myles » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 pm

Silogical wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 pm
Its a decent system. A coach re-signing with their current team should come before a random number generator. Then it would be a great system.
That came up. We decided for this offseason to go with the RNG, but we will have a better tie-breaker system in place for next season.

Raidercj
General Manager

Post by Raidercj » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Silogical wrote:
This would definitely make sense. Maybe we can add new coaches that slowly develop over time?
New Orleans Pelicans

Starters: Brandon Knight | Roy Devyn Marble | Chandler Parsons | Anthony Davis | Nikola Vucevic

Alternatives:Joe Jackson | Monte Morris | Malcolm Brogdon | Julian Washburn | Jared Sullinger | Miles Plumlee

Reserves: Tyler Dorsey | Nicolas Brussino

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 am

Myles wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:12 pm
Silogical wrote:
That came up. We decided for this offseason to go with the RNG, but we will have a better tie-breaker system in place for next season.
I prefer the new system personally. Just like the real NBA, coaches leave their team on their own terms. Wouldn't be as realistic if home team had priority over any other team.
2022 CSL Champions

#22 Eric Bledsoe #25 Klay Thompson #4 DeMarre Carroll #44 Michael-Kidd Gilchrist #5 Stanley Johnson Jr.

Flaming Homer
General Manager

Post by Flaming Homer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:10 am

That was a very needed change!
Good job.

Silogical
Senior Vice President

Post by Silogical » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 am

Andrewu91 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:09 am
Myles wrote:
Silogical wrote:
I prefer the new system personally. Just like the real NBA, coaches leave their team on their own terms. Wouldn't be as realistic if home team had priority over any other team.
A coach will always choose staying with their home team that they spent years building a system with the current players. A coach will never give that up to flip a coin.

Myles
Commissioner

Post by Myles » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:55 am

Raidercj wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:40 pm
Silogical wrote:
This would definitely make sense. Maybe we can add new coaches that slowly develop over time?
Unfortunately our current program won’t allow for editing the coach database. Hopefully we will be able to do that in DDS19. Coaches do develop over time already though. GreenBear can attest to that, as Reggie Evans has grown into a fantastic coach over time.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 am

Silogical wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 am
Andrewu91 wrote:
Myles wrote:

A coach will always choose staying with their home team that they spent years building a system with the current players. A coach will never give that up to flip a coin.
Some coaches could have locker room issues, management issues(Marc Jackson) or other issues. It's happened before, aka Phil Jackson leaving the Bulls in 1999. Some coaches just don't enjoy the team either and want a fresh new start. It's definitely not uncommon.
2022 CSL Champions

#22 Eric Bledsoe #25 Klay Thompson #4 DeMarre Carroll #44 Michael-Kidd Gilchrist #5 Stanley Johnson Jr.

Silogical
Senior Vice President

Post by Silogical » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 am

Andrewu91 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 am
Silogical wrote:
Andrewu91 wrote:

Some coaches could have locker room issues, management issues(Marc Jackson) or other issues. It's happened before, aka Phil Jackson leaving the Bulls in 1999. Some coaches just don't enjoy the team either and want a new start. It's definitely not uncommon.
When there are issues the team doesnt want the coach back. If everything is equal money/winning/weather/position the coach returning to their home team is so much more logical than flipping a coin to determine their fate. Youd be lucky to find one example of a coach leaving their home team where everything else is equal.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:12 am

Silogical wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 am
Andrewu91 wrote:
Silogical wrote:

Some coaches could have locker room issues, management issues(Marc Jackson) or other issues. It's happened before, aka Phil Jackson leaving the Bulls in 1999. Some coaches just don't enjoy the team either and want a new start. It's definitely not uncommon.
When there are issues the team doesnt want the coach back. If everything is equal money/winning/weather/position the coach returning to their home team is so much more logical than flipping a coin to determine their fate. Youd be lucky to find one example of a coach leaving their home team where everything else is equal.
I understand your point, but I thought the point of this league is to make it the most realistic as possible. Home team having the choice to keep or get rid of a coach, isn't super realistic. Other factors I've mentioned, come into play.

What happens if a lottery team wants to re-sign their coach? Why should they get first dibs vs. another team that isn't lottery and wants that same coach. Isn't realistic at all.
2022 CSL Champions

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021

Post by GreenBear » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 am

Andrewu91 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:12 am
Silogical wrote:
Andrewu91 wrote:

I understand your point, but I thought the point of this league is to make it the most realistic as possible. Home team having the choice to keep or get rid of a coach, isn't super realistic. Other factors I've mentioned, come into play.

What happens if a lottery team wants to re-sign their coach? Why should they get first dibs vs. another team that isn't lottery and wants that same coach. Isn't realistic at all.
I rarely agree with silo... But you're not making much logical sense, Andrew
Starters: TJ McConnell | Isaiah Taylor | Okaro White | Isaiah Austin | Mamadou N'Diaye
2nd Unit: Isaiah Whitehead | Avery Bradley | Malik Beasley | Terrence Jones | Zach Collins

Silogical
Senior Vice President

Post by Silogical » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 am

Andrewu91 wrote:
Silogical wrote:
Andrewu91 wrote:

Then Lottery team/playoff team could be higher up the tie breaker list. Ive never seen someone fight for RNG before :lol:

1) position
2) rank
3) lottery vs playoff teams
4) home team
5) RNG

that seems reasonable. Its all pretty meaningless but a nice coach hiring system to counter the complete uselessness of the coaches.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Silogical wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:09 am
Andrewu91 wrote:
Silogical wrote:

Then Lottery team/playoff team could be higher up the tie breaker list. Ive never seen someone fight for RNG before :lol:

1) position
2) rank
3) lottery vs playoff teams
4) home team
5) RNG

that seems reasonable. Its all pretty meaningless but a nice coach hiring system to counter the complete uselessness of the coaches.
Your rankings makes sense. Not sure if it was late at night and I was a little sleepy but I was under the impression that no matter the circumstances, home team gets the advantage over every team, with re-signing their own coach.
2022 CSL Champions

Ocons
CEO

Post by Ocons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:14 pm

GreenBear wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 am
Andrewu91 wrote:
Silogical wrote:

I rarely agree with silo... But you're not making much logical sense, Andrew
This. Mother team should have some sort of advantage.
Image C Bamba PF Porzingis SF Antetokuonmpo SG Curry PG Cotton