League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

2 in the Clip

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

2 in the Clip

Post by blackice »

After a rough loss to Atlanta in the playoffs we knew major changes had to be made. The team was overhauled and the perimeter depth was gutted after moving Delly/Booker and parts for Nerlens Noel. Rival GM's maligned our shooting, stating a heavy zone would be able to counter our offense. This led to two key acquisitions, JP Macura and Glenn Robinson III. We had very little in terms of tradable assets to build up our perimeter depth off the bench.

Let's look closer at JP Macura. He was our primary target in the draft but we weren't willing to move major assets (see Bell/Crabbe/Joseph/etc.) for a late 1st which was where JP Macura went. After a quick conversation with Doug (PHX GM) we were able to provide a roster spot for him in return for our man. Macura is an elite 3 point shooter but we'll have to see how much volume he will provide. If he can give us 15-20MPG and space the floor that's all we need from him at this point. His ratings are solid and he is solid across the board. The makeup of this team is defense, defense and more defense but we are highly aware of our strengths and weaknesses.

Can this late 1st rounder play a major role on a potential contending team?

The next key acquisition was Glenn Robinson III. With only our tax payers MLE we missed out on targets such as Hollis Thompson and Brandon Knight, but that may have been a blessing in disguise. Robinson provides solid handles, defense, and elite 3 point shooting. He has positional versatility and can play the 2-3 and 4 spots without issue.

The 29 year old sharpshooter was given a 3 year deal and we are thrilled to add him to the roster

Cory Joseph/Mike Conley/Nigel Williams-Goss
Allen Crabbe/JP Macura/Antonius Cleveland
DeMarre Carroll/Glenn Robinson III
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist/Jordan Bell
Jahlil Okafor/Nerlens Noel

Is this team a contender? Tough to say, clearly Boston/Detroit and Miami are the cream of the crop and Atlanta/Chicago/Washington are strong as well but we believe we have a top 5 defense (league wide) and have added enough shooting to give our bigs space down low to operate. Okafor is poised to have a breakout season and we wouldn't be surprised if he can give us 20/10 on a nightly basis.
Ball is Life.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: 2 in the Clip

Post by Rizzo »

Macura may be too gun shy to give you the shooting you’re looking for. GR3 is a classic player that doesn't quite play up to his ratings in this engine for whatever reason. Between the two of them you’re going to need a legit shooter on the floor at all times.

I still love the Nerlens Noel trade for you guys though since you really gave up nothing of consequence to get him. Should pair nicely with Okafor.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Those 2 will help a bit, but unfortunately I don't think they will shoot enough volume to be able to prevent a zone defense. However, this team's defense is going to be very, very good. I can see a lot of ugly games lol.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

You honestly have one of the more interesting rosters that I have seen assembled in a while. I feel like its either going to be really good or you will find a hard way to make the pieces fit together well.

I do think you need one more elite three point shooter, but if you do that I think you will be a pretty dangerous squad.

Good luck this season!

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Robinson was someone I had my eye on, nice pick up.

You definitely have a really interesting team. I think you might have been better off keeping Waiters over getting Okafor, but still, it'll be interesting to see where you end up.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Robinson was indeed a nice pickup.

There were a lot of moves this off-season for the Raps. It seems the strong defense will be still the playing card for the Canadian team. It will be interesting who will develop into the new alpha after Kawhi's departure.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Appreciate the feedback guys, the main issues are getting my shooters to shoot a high enough volume to fight off zones and Joseph developing into an "alpha", as well as Okafor. Both are potentially 20 PPG guys and have 1st option upside.
Ball is Life.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

You should have signed another minimum shooter so that you could say "3 in the Clip" since you need 3 point shooting.

Also Macura is such a damn stereotype lol... that is the pastiest basketball player I've seen in a long time.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Myles wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:12 pm You should have signed another minimum shooter so that you could say "3 in the Clip" since you need 3 point shooting.

Also Macura is such a damn stereotype lol... that is the pastiest basketball player I've seen in a long time.
The man stood out on a team with Cody Zeller and Frank Kaminsky on it. :lol:

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

KW wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:48 pm
Myles wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:12 pm You should have signed another minimum shooter so that you could say "3 in the Clip" since you need 3 point shooting.

The man stood out on a team with Cody Zeller and Frank Kaminsky on it. :lol:
I had to turn the brightness down on my phone when the picture showed up on screen. Damn near blinded me.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Send me Treveon Graham and I'll update the article title. :D
Ball is Life.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

We should expand the rosters to 17. Then BI should get 16 shooters and one center so he can have 16 in the clip and 1 in the hole.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Jestor wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:26 am We should expand the rosters to 17. Then BI should get 16 shooters and one center so he can have 16 in the clip and 1 in the hole.
:lol:
Ball is Life.