League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Walt the heck?

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Walt the heck?

Post by Cleasby »

Walt the heck?

Did somebody read the news correctly? Did the Portland Trailblazers actually make a trade? Anyone who was watching the reports trickle in during the trade deadline will have seen that the Portland Trailblazers completed a deal with the Washington Wizards to send long time starting centre and future CSL hall of famer Al Horford, this year’s first round pick and rejuvenated undrafted point guard Chasson Randle in exchange for Walter Tavares and KJ McDaniels.

The deal means that Al Horford a stalwart of the Trailblazers crazy playoff runs the past 2 seasons will no longer be the experienced veteran expected to up his game as usual he will certainly bring a huge presence to a Wizards franchise that is looking to find small margins of improvement for their Eastern playoff run. With Detroit and Toronto showing signs of decline while the Heat and Celtics progress towards the top of the conference the Wizards only have a small window of opportunity which they must grasp. Can Horford be that missing 2 way piece? We all know he statistically improves come playoff time and the Wizards will be hoping he bring that game with him.

For the Trailblazers they lose one of the most underrated centres in the league but gain an extended window for their own run. Walter Tavares who at the age of 30 still has several years of peak performance and under a team friendly contract may not bring the offensive prowess Horford has but he should be able to handle the glut of dominant centres the Western conference can offer. With the likes of Drummon, Nurkic, Austin and Stanley Johnson to name a few Portland will be hoping he can shut down some of these players over the next few seasons. The addition of KJ McDaniels also provides healthy competition for back up shooting guard minutes with rookie Jalen Brunson who has as expected had good nights and bad nights as he gets used to Portland scheme.

With both the Trailblazers and Wizards fighting for a playoff spot both players should be back in the post season as expected. Which one will make the greatest impact to their new franchise when it counts?
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Walt the heck?

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I like Tavares. You know my opinions already on that deal. Getting KJ was huge.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

As surprising as it was to see you make a trade, this was a really good trade for you value wise (which is I'm assuming why you made it). You gave up next to nothing since your pick will be worth very little this year and Al's low endurance was a liability for you. Getting Walt and KJ will help you a lot as you try to take down the giants in the West.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

We've discussed this deal privately as well, I think this is a good trade for you as Walt is a better player than Horford at this point in his career and is younger, and is locked into a long term contract at a good value. Washington got what they wanted which was an asset for Walt, and they still have a chance to compete this year, but I get a strong sense they will be retooling soon and the extra asset will benefit them.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I put in a pretty good offer for this guy, and really wanted him but POR did well to get him at that price point and I can't blame WAS for taking the deal he did as it makes a lot of sense for them.
Ball is Life.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

emplep7 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:52 pm As surprising as it was to see you make a trade, this was a really good trade for you value wise (which is I'm assuming why you made it). You gave up next to nothing since your pick will be worth very little this year and Al's low endurance was a liability for you. Getting Walt and KJ will help you a lot as you try to take down the giants in the West.
This
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

I think this was a perfect move for you, especially with Tavares's long-term contract.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Awesome move for you ..I was shocked when I saw a Portland trade