League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Choke City Podcast (Reboot) - Ep 1.3 - Draft Special Part 1

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Choke City Podcast (Reboot) - Ep 1.3 - Draft Special Part 1

Post by GreenBear »

Draft Special Episode!

Special Guests:
- Kyrus (Houston GM)
- Marcos (Philly GM)

Part 1 Topics:
- Pick 1 through 5 analysis

YouTube: Choke City Podcast (Reboot) - Ep 1.3 - Draft Special Part 1 (YouTube Presentation)

audio: Choke City Podcast (Reboot) - Ep 1.3 - Draft Special Part 1 (Audio)

We had a lot of fun doing this, so hope everyone enjoys! This is just Part 1 of a 4-Part Draft Special, so keep an eye out for the other parts being dropped in the coming days.
Last edited by GreenBear on Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Choke City Podcast (Reboot) - Ep 1.3 - Part 1

Post by Marcos_Beck »

This was extremely fun!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

That was great guys. Always good to hear different thoughts on how GMs would play it.

I can only go from my scouts but Jovic was hands down streets above anyone else so I think Willy made a mistake there. Williams is solid but Jovic is just easily a level above so Dylan got his star. Future MVP from what I got.

Doug was right as in once pick 3 hit, it opened up and we weren't 100% sure but as Marcos said, we took what we thought was BPA as changes could be a coming. The playoffs showed we needed another player who can create a his own shot.

I think Murphy will be great. Maybe not a pick 4 but I don't think Doug will care. Scoring efficiency will be great so depends on what his scoring rating comes in at. A player every team would like to have.

We very nearly took Mobley but like I said in the draft thread, didn't like his rebounding but I also never liked Isaiah Austin for the same reason and he was very good too. For the areas I thought he was lower in, his scoring could make up for it but the max potential I had didn't get me that excited when taking into account all else hence the Mays selection instead.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

bt wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:34 am That was great guys. Always good to hear different thoughts on how GMs would play it.

I can only go from my scouts but Jovic was hands down streets above anyone else so I think Willy made a mistake there. Williams is solid but Jovic is just easily a level above so Dylan got his star. Future MVP from what I got.

Doug was right as in once pick 3 hit, it opened up and we weren't 100% sure but as Marcos said, we took what we thought was BPA as changes could be a coming. The playoffs showed we needed another player who can create a his own shot.

I think Murphy will be great. Maybe not a pick 4 but I don't think Doug will care. Scoring efficiency will be great so depends on what his scoring rating comes in at. A player every team would like to have.

We very nearly took Mobley but like I said in the draft thread, didn't like his rebounding but I also never liked Isaiah Austin for the same reason and he was very good too. For the areas I thought he was lower in, his scoring could make up for it but the max potential I had didn't get me that excited when taking into account all else hence the Mays selection instead.
I had Mays tagged as 2nd best prospect in the class so easy call there IMO. He'll be an excellent playmaker and scorer, solid defender and okay efficiency as well. The player you can likely build around, specially if you end up dealing Porter, which is unlikely, quite honestly.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Nice listen good job. Maybe I'll be a guest one day!
bt wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:34 am I can only go from my scouts but Jovic was hands down streets above anyone else so I think Willy made a mistake there. Williams is solid but Jovic is just easily a level above so Dylan got his star. Future MVP from what I got.
If this is the consensus and what you really feel, one could say you made the mistake.

Jovic should actually be a Sacramento King right now.

You passed on my initial offer #3 #5 and LAL 1st (which was actually the pick you now have as it was conveyed back to LA).

You then countered by downplaying your interest offering #3 and a player that doesn't move the needle in relation to the value of what we all see in Jovic.

Had you sent one more counter of #3 and the LAL pick Jovic was yours but you valued the Lakers pick as untouchable and from my perspective once I knew who I'd Draft I knew there was a chance Mobley would fall to LAL making that team more attractive to a prospective GM like a Onenole who had contacted me prior to the Draft and I said the LAL job is a great one.

The same way gb turned Portland and that core of players around he could do the same with LA which changes the entire dynamics of the pick.

So looks like we both made a mistake if Jovic is the game breaker he can potentially become (which of course he'd have to develop into) then #3 and LAL 1st would've been a steal when it's all said and done but you passed on that.

Nevertheless it didn't happen and we all drafted who we drafted due to fit etc to better our teams. I'm very happy with how my Draft turned out which is odd because I keep hearing how bad of a mistake I made but don't feel like it was a mistake since I'm truly happy with who I got.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

bt

Re: Choke City Podcast (Reboot) - Ep 1.3 - Draft Special Part 1

Post by bt »

Mate, I'm not Andrew. Why you and the likes of him need to go sprouting around private message talk because of something you read (an opinion, shoot me) is beyond me.

and no. If you remember I said I had not checked my scouting yet so until I did, no way was I paying that price or a price which included a pick I didn't own (pick 5 and the Lakers pick). I told you before scouting that I heard the players were close so I couldn't pay that regardless. Then I did check it and came back to you and you said it was no longer available. Completely fair, if you realised how good Jovic potentially was, it was going to cost me too much or you had settled on something. All good either way.

So don't talk shit please Willy. You're better than Andrew or at least I thought you were.
sacramento kings

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

This was a lot of fun to be a part of. Thanks Doug and Marcos!

Also, I hope people don't think I'm shitting on their picks, I realize there's many different ways to build a team and that my opinions are not always going to match yours, or even that of the league majority... but when I disagreed with a pick, I expressed it, and think I explained why... just a disclaimer for the rest of the pod.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

bt wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:55 am Mate, I'm not Andrew. Why you and the likes of him need to go sprouting around private message talk because of something you read (an opinion, shoot me) is beyond me.

and no. If you remember I said I had not checked my scouting yet so until I did, no way was I paying that price or a price which included a pick I didn't own (pick 5 and the Lakers pick). I told you before scouting that I heard the players were close so I couldn't pay that regardless. Then I did check it and came back to you and you said it was no longer available. Completely fair, if you realised how good Jovic potentially was, it was going to cost me too much or you had settled on something. All good either way.

So don't talk shit please Willy. You're better than Andrew or at least I thought you were.
Why am I even mentioned here? Nothing to do with me.

Anyway, haven't listened to the podcast but I'll watch it soon.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Every podcast every post in the draft then you here talking how I "made a mistake" like it was a dumbass pick as if these guys have played their entire careers and you see the outcome. Opinion. And I'm good with it.

So don't @ with me the better than that stuff mate because I have been and I've been quiet and listened/ read all the negativity and bs posts about the Draft over and over and yet here's another podcast about it on top of the scripted AI podcast by KW.

Everyone has their opinion. Me included. And I've voiced it and I'm good with everyone's opinions so now this conversation is in the past.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

bt

Post by bt »

Look, we get along well but I literally said in your draft pick thread that apparently he wasn't the consensus top pick but should be good and here I said I think you made a mistake with the pick. That one was a bit more direct but I'm not trying to disrespect you mate and apologies if you thought that. It's funny because I only just spoke to Andre about how I respect how you go about things. Don't care what people think, have fun and build it your way.

Lets move past this though, a couple of posts all about nothing really.
Andrewu91 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:11 amWhy am I even mentioned here? Nothing to do with me.

Anyway, haven't listened to the podcast but I'll watch it soon.
I didn't mean to single just you out but you were the freshest in my memory as you literally just did this to Willy in his draft pick thread.
sacramento kings

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Had a chance to listen, very enjoyable! I am glad I nailed all those “who made this player?” Questions as well while I was listening along haha!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

hardenwithnod wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:41 am Had a chance to listen, very enjoyable! I am glad I nailed all those “who made this player?” Questions as well while I was listening along haha!
We do it for all 30 picks, so stay tuned! :D

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

WillyJakkz wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:15 pm Nice listen good job. Maybe I'll be a guest one day!
You're welcome on anytime 🙂

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

No worries bt.

I've just heard it all. I got pm's from guys telling me who to Draft #1 even one from Onenole who isn't even a GM then I get pm's telling me I screwed up royally.

Anyway moving forward eager to hear the other podcasts take on mine and the rest of the Draft.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

WillyJakkz wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:59 am No worries bt.

I've just heard it all. I got pm's from guys telling me who to Draft #1 even one from Onenole who isn't even a GM then I get pm's telling me I screwed up royally.

Anyway moving forward eager to hear the other podcasts take on mine and the rest of the Draft.
Just take over the lakers (the great situation like you said it is) and I'll fix orlando and get them back to the top of the division :D
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

I dont think Williams was a bad pick at #1 and im the 1st to criticize willy moves.

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Good listen. Direct & short which is also something I appreciate for the podcasts. Big fan of the material and the takes but seldom have time to listen to a 2-hour affair.

Murphy-Marshall will be compared for much of their careers. In the CSL Scout Buddy comparison tab I saw that Murphy might actually be closer to Kispert than to Marshall (maybe 24ppg v 18ppg v 15ppg). I didn't interview Marshall nor Murphy, so idk about their consistency/work ethic. But if GB can build the right system around Murphy, he'll for sure be a tremendous player for years to come. Diallo-Murphy-Onkogwu is already an exciting start.

Also, the Lakers reaaalllly need a gm now. Bowman
-Rui-Mobley is such a fun core for the most popular franchise. How is there no GM?? OneNole seems eager to do something, so why doesn't he bring glory to LAL?
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:06 am Good listen. Direct & short which is also something I appreciate for the podcasts. Big fan of the material and the takes but seldom have time to listen to a 2-hour affair.
Cheers and appreciate any and all feedback like this, as I'm always looking for ways to improve. I've definitely posted longer episodes in the past and have made a concerted effort to break them up into smaller chunks.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Good idea, I was able to listen into 1 and 2 this time but most of times smaller cast's are easier to "digest" :-)

Thanks guys, that is a lot of insight from 3 of the top GM's of the league.

And I hope the Naji pick will turn out good for the Hawks. I was totally prepared to draft John Butler at 8 like Kyrus mocked is but could not pass on Naji after I had him top 5 on my board.