League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Coach Fury Videocast 33 - [Jestor] Day 30 Trade Madness

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Coach Fury Videocast 33 - [Jestor] Day 30 Trade Madness

Post by Cleasby »

Joined this time by Jestor
Items covered this episode
1. Day 30 trades

Logo courtesy of RiotPunch

Episode link - https://youtu.be/ZVlnK9U2oWM
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Re: Coach Fury Videocast 33 - [Jestor] Day 30 Trade Madness

Post by Dylan »

Just finished listening, thanks for the treadmill entertainment.

Think you guys are slightly higher on Toronto than I am, I think Boston and Miami are still slightly above them. Not sure they come out of the East, but they're obviously much improved.

As far as my deal with Indy, Chris was right. This deal was agreed on after 3/4 games this season, so while it's not like we were definitely gonna be a playoff team, it hasn't been in my best interest to win a ton of games since very early on. I'm not actively trying to lose or anything and I'm still gonna play all my guys, but we've been sitting guys for most of the season and not putting our best foot forward.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Great assessments of the trades, I enjoyed the podcast a lot.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I think you pretty much nailed down how I feel about HOU/ATL/LAC/LAL trade. I think everyone got what they wanted. Lakers wanted a shot at Leron Black, Clippers wanted to cash in aging expirings for younger pieces, Atlanta wanted a different fit at PF (and obviously loves Looney since he gave him that contract), and I wanted swap Looney for a cheaper but similar talent (like Chriss) and pick up an extra piece for my rotation, which I get in Nic Batum.

I know exactly what I'm going to get in Nic Batum, 3s and D for 10-20 minutes. Don't really need anything else from him.

Chriss is a little different. I'm floored that he has had little to no preference work in his first 4 years in the league, and still has god awful shot selection. Once I'm done cutting out all those jumpers from his repertoire, he's easily going to be an efficient 16-18ppg guy + 1.5 blocks/1.5 steals. He won't get that kind of volume here, but should be that caliber of player, kind of like a Thaddeus Young type.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Very good listen as usual, as it was a good breakdown for all those deals.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

TheTwoWallaces
Senior Vice President

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

Just got around to listening. Hopefully I made it quite clear in my explanation (I don't get why you guys didn't just scroll down to my explanation of the deal instead of just speculating -- it was literally on that page), but here it is again (sigh):

1) We regretted taking on Mudiays massive contract -- Kanter is expiring
2) Before this deal, the Clippers pick was not going to be Top 5.
3) Sexton, Alkins, and Metu are all talents that we like and fit our roster perfectly.
4) We now have an insane amount of salary coming off the books in Hayward, Love, Butler, and Kanter.
5) We now have a young core of PGs Sexton & Okobo, | SGs Alkins & Okogie | SFs Winslow & Brooks | PFs Ojeleye & Metu | Cs Patton & Lual-Acuil AND $35M in cap space this offseason to swing for a superstar or 2. That seemed healthier to us than having Mudiay eat up an almost-max slot and then have what could end up up being a late lottery pick in the LAC pick.

As always, enjoyed the listen!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Kispert | Martin
Johnson | McDaniels
Wiseman | Stewart | Petrusev

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Except Okobo is a SG in a PG's body and Sexton is a combo guard. You're also not going to get nearly enough wins to entice a superstar. At best, you'll overpay for a reasonably talented RFA like we did and hope mother team doesn't match.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Sexton and Okobo each have the potential to be fine at the 1. Indy won't get a superstar, but should get a fair amount of second or third tier talent. Still don't like the trade at all though. Especially if that Clippers pick turns into Zion/Luka

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Opinions are nice to hear
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Great job guys. Always helpful to hear the opinion of other GM's regarding trade and trade value.

For our part ... we liked Chriss much more as we thought. He played well last season, but that was beside Whiteside, an great rebounder and shot blocker. After the GDP trade our front line was much weaker and Chriss missing rebounding made it harder to play him. Also hard to develop too many player at once with the 10 instructions per season. He was not a priority here.
Hope is that Looney provides some more classic PF play, maybe alongside Young. And his TO gives the option to get out of the contract in 26.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great listen guys, loved the insight here (particularly the Raps talk). Good job guys.
Ball is Life.