League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Recruiting 101

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Recruiting 101

Post by Myles »

Forgive me for the formatting of this post, writing this on mobile. I'll make it pretty next time I'm at my laptop

Phone Calls
Phone calls serve a few purposes. You can find out how involved the recruits parents are, which will determine who you are pitching to during the home visit (I'll touch on this later). You can find out the players interest level in your school (if you don't have the Gold report). You can discover the player's likes and dislikes, and find out what to pitch in that home visit. Lastly, you can bribe the player to come to your school. Once you have the information you want (for me that's parent info and a couple of key interests that my school specifically can offer), you do not have to call the recruit anymore.

Scouting
You can scout players in one of three ways, watching film, going to their game, and going to camps. You should watch the max number of game films every single week. It's cheap and gives you info on the players. Scouting a live game gives you ratings, as well as increasing the recruits interest in your school. Camps is luck of the draw, as you may not see many recruits you are targeting, or you could see a ton. As far as I can tell, camps do not increase the recruits interest in you. It does give great info on a large number of players though.

Visits
This is the large part of recruiting. Every player you are interested in should visit your school. You should be inviting recruits every single week you can, because you only have so many weeks until the contact period in September, and you are going to want the campus visits mostly done by then. This is make or break, as most players will decide here if they are truly interested, or not interested at all. Some will remain on the fence, but not many. Hopefully your facilities grade is high!

The most important part of recruiting, however, is the home visit. This is where you pitch the player and his parents on why you're school is the right choice. This is why I always ask about parent info. If the player has controlling parents, you are going to want to look at their interests when you decide what to emphasize in your pitch. Keep in mind, there is no way to control what interests you discover about the parents. That's what your assistant in charge of recruiting does (more on that in a minute). If your recruit has parents that don't really mind what their son chooses, then focus your pitch on his interests. Most recruits will make their decision during the home visit period, which is in September. I will typically offer my scholarships at the end of August, so the recruits know I'm serious before coming to the house. That also allows me to get an answer almost immediately during the contact period, meaning if I get rejected I can offer that scholarship to someone else right away and take another shot, before all the recruits get snapped up.

Your Assistant
Your assistant in charge of recruiting will do one of three crucial things. He will discover what the recruits parents like and don't like, he will find out about the recruits work ethic and attitude, and he will also call the recruits themselves for their own interests. The better your assistant is at recruiting, the more info he will uncover. Keep that in mind.

Hopefully this helps you all in recruiting, as it is a tough part of this game. Feel free to ask any questions below!

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Re: Recruiting 101

Post by OneNole »

Does it signify anything (even if im top 3) for a recruit and with my first question they hang up?
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

OneNole wrote:Does it signify anything (even if im top 3) for a recruit and with my first question they hang up?
If the player picks up and allows you to ask questions, then no it doesn't signify anything. The game will randomly have players not want to talk on the phone or have to "go get lunch" or whatever, so that it's not too easy. However, if you call a player and you have to try and convince him to stay on the phone right away, then it means he's not interested but you might be able to change his mind!

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Myles - great write up here! I am completely new to recruiting in this game (haven't played since CB2 and barely played that) so this was tremendously helpful. With the sim window being pushed back 24 hours, I may need to go get some campus visits in.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

I need to get in this. . .
Clown.Show.League

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Ocons wrote:I need to get in this. . .
You have no access to a PC?
Career Accolades:
- 0 CSL Championships

- oCSL Marcus Smart

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Ocons wrote:I need to get in this. . .
Im sure the wife will let you blow $200 to buy a cheap laptop so you can play a dumb game eith us. Lol
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Wasn't using the phone option until now but will definitely give it a try.
Thanks for the guide - really useful!
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Wait, how do you actually make the phone calls yourself? I have players on my call list but I would like to try talking to the recruits myself as well.
Career Accolades:
- 0 CSL Championships

- oCSL Marcus Smart

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

You have an icon for calling and when pressing it, you can ask questions to the recruit
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

geebob
General Manager

Post by geebob »

One more recruiting tip for those who have locked down their top recruits.

It pays (literally, by saving your recruiting budget which rolls over into next season) to go through your recruiting list and take players who have committed to other schools off of your call list. You can leave them on the watch list for free if you want to keep track of them.

20 players on your call list will eat up approximately $2400 between now and the end of the season. That doesn't sound like a lot, but for programs with tight budgets that is three scouting trips or recruit visits out of state.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I have never seen budgets roll over.

geebob
General Manager

Post by geebob »

I don't think it is made obvious by the program, but saved money is applied to your account.