League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

trade committee?

is it time for a 3 member trade committee to protect against these horrible trades?

Yes
42%
Noafter
58%

Total votes: 12

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Re: trade committee?

Post by Sun Scorched »

I would argue that it would me more important to have a committee of three guys who managed the vacant teams in the absence of GM-ship.

WAS should have made some moves for additional value that could have been coordinated better, for example. SAS also comes to mind recently. DEN? I think the problem is that we're allowing teams to become irreparable, to a degree. Less to do with subjective opinions on trades, or that some GMs are butthurt about whiffing on a golden opportunity.

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

I am not in favor of a commitee neither.
Trade can be incredibly unfair, even in real life : http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/the-7- ... ?a=viewall

Something we could do however is to make awake the new comers about the risk to join such league when it comes to trade.
Maybe a mentor or a consulting commitee where they could ask for opinion/advise. It would be confidential and non-mandatory. I remember my first days in a league and I would have loved to get this type of support
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Dennis wrote:@BlackIce: Good point actually. However, I understand Doug too. It is hard to find a solution for it. We even had a committee already in the CSL.

@8timechamp: So, how would it have felt for you to get the Anderson trade get denied? Wouldn't it have bothered you? You appear to be very matured (some arguments with Andrew and me aside), so you might be a good example for a matured GM. And be honest with your answer.
That's why I brought up the point of having a certain amount of posts, level of activity, or how long you have been here before you are allowed to trade on your own.

When I made that Anderson trade, I was really active, have had prior trades that were in my favor like ripping off Denver and a few others I forget.
I don't think that Anderson trade was awful. Dallas will get a top 5 pick this year for him, but in two years when 2020 rolls around, I could be a completely different team and Denver will hopefully have a gm by then, and will potentially be a different team.

My whole motto has been gaining assets and then flipping those assets for better assets. Its just business. And once I receive a top 3 pick this year, I would have to say my pick and young players can potentially land me that superstar I've always craved.

But to answer your question, if my trade was voted, I would have been uoset. But it still wouldn't have stopped me from continuing to improve my team. I wouldn't have left my team high and dry, like most gm's do when they don't do good.

I also want to make a shout out to beercloud for sticking with Atlanta and not giving up on them. That's a real gm.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

There are bad trades, and then there's what happened today, which was a massacre. It was an ugly trade to make. It's beyond obvious why I have no respect for this trade and it needs no explanation. If you don't agree already, then you've made up your mind and nothing I say will change your opinion. I'll leave it at that.

With regards to the committee thing: as Andrei and Dennis (and maybe some others I'm missing) said, it's been tried in the past and always gets discarded. Personally, I (clearly) hate everything about the trade, but I don't think it's up to the admins to decide what trades go through (so long as it's legal). It's a slippery slope that I don't think we should initiate.

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Yeah - they key problem with a committee is that EVERYONE has an agenda. We're all human, it's impossible not to.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Sun Scorched wrote:Yeah - they key problem with a committee is that EVERYONE has an agenda. We're all human, it's impossible not to.
#1 reason to be against this. I know for a fact that any borderline case where a power house team (like my own) gets a nice deal would be shot down by certain GMs hoping to beat said power house team. At the end of the day, GMs are going to be looking out for their own teams and even the most impartial people will be swayed a bit.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Plus crappy trades (WAY WAY WAY worse than this) happen in the NBA all the fucking time. Get over it.

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Been waiting to use this one
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

BizGilwalker wrote:Plus crappy trades (WAY WAY WAY worse than this) happen in the NBA all the fucking time. Get over it.
Im curious to hear some......?
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

50% of Billy Kings trades.

Non billy king trades

Harden was traded for steven adams/scraps

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

What was Shaq traded for? I think Brian grant was involved hard to remember

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian grant, and a first. Lamar helped the Lakers win championships, and the first turned out to be Jordan Formar, who helped be a spark off the bench. And Caron turned into Kwame which turned into Paul Gasol.

But Shaq was declining at the time when the trade happened sod it wasn't that bad.

A worse NBA trade was kwame for Pau.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

We can reassess the trade in 3 seasons and see just how bad it really was.

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

8timechamp wrote:Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian grant, and a first. Lamar helped the Lakers win championships, and the first turned out to be Jordan Formar, who helped be a spark off the bench. And Caron turned into Kwame which turned into Paul Gasol.

But Shaq was declining at the time when the trade happened sod it wasn't that bad.

Shaq went on to win a championship with Miami too

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Mattybriand wrote:
8timechamp wrote:Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, and Brian grant, and a first. Lamar helped the Lakers win championships, and the first turned out to be Jordan Formar, who helped be a spark off the bench. And Caron turned into Kwame which turned into Paul Gasol.

Shaq went on to win a championship with Miami too
True but it was Wade who won that championship. Shaw only averaged 13-7 in that finals. Wade averaged 36ppg.

I'm a Shaq hater btw and Laker fan

Beercloud
General Manager

Post by Beercloud »

I thought the commissioner already has to approve each trade. Don't see a need for a committee if the commish already does it.
Cant teams file a protest against a trade? If not maybe a system in place like that would be more efficient than a trade committee.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Wasnt it kwame and paus brother for pau? I think that was fair in retrospect

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

KG Paul Pierce trade

Boston still has BRK NEXT 2 PICKS

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

OneNole wrote:

Wasnt it kwame and paus brother for pau? I think that was fair in retrospect
At the time if was considered horrible.
If I remember correctly it was Kwame(expiring), Javaris Crittinton(the main piece, and hes now in jail for murder), 08 and 10 1sts, a 2nd and Marc was only considered a throw in. He was drafted that summer 48th overall and wasnt in the beat shape . Scouts said maybe he could become a serviceable big.

In way, looking back it's still a rape trade . Lakers won two championships thanks to pau and kobe. Pau was crucial in both. But Marc did turn out solid and even made an all star team. Grizzlies got lucky with him. But at the time it was possibly the worst trade of all time.

Another trade was Kareem for crap which netted the Lakers championships.

You also had Vince Carter for Aaron Davis and crap when vince was still in his prime.

I could keep going on. Besides this league, NBA is my hobby.

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Bill Russell rights were traded for Ed Macauley and Cliff Hagan, AND THE PROMISE THE THE ICE CAPADES WOULD PERFORM AT OTHER TEAMS ARENA