League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Hidden Potentials

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Hidden Potentials

Post by Silogical »

I dont know if there is a thread about this, but i think its important.

Im hearing rumors potential ratings are going to be hidden in 2022. This will kill the game for me. My idea would be a thread that has all the hidden/bugged ratings shown.

All Potentials
ATB
COR
MID
RIM
FGI
FT
RIM Rate
DUNK Rate
Whatever else im missing.

If you dont know a players ratings it becomes impossible to trade, because you dont know how much more the other GMs know about the players. The trade market is dying we need to show these ratings to bring it back to life.

For people who dont want to know what a player will turn into, that is not a hidden potential problem since scouts show it anyway. Knowing exactly what a player will become is a player creation problem. No one knew what jaxson hayes was going to turn into even though we could see his potential ratings. We need more players like jaxson hayes in this league. Kyrus please more players like Hayes.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: Hidden Potentials

Post by Dennis »

Jon already said they will be available in some way. Afaik no one was really pushing for them being not available. Despite ryan hoping for it so far.

Edit: he didn’t say something about shooting though
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Dennis wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:32 am Jon already said they will be available in some way. Afaik no one was really pushing for them being not available. Despite ryan hoping for it so far.

That's good. Shooting ratings are even more important IMO because they are current ratings. We should be able to know what a player will do right now, and what they can do with proper pref work.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Silogical wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:10 am
Dennis wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:32 am Jon already said they will be available in some way. Afaik no one was really pushing for them being not available. Despite ryan hoping for it so far.

That's good. Shooting ratings are even more important IMO because they are current ratings. We should be able to know what a player will do right now, and what they can do with proper pref work.
True words champ, Im split on shooting ratings though. I can see a case for both ways.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

While I’d like to have a full experience in terms of ratings revealed, I also agree with Dennis that shooting ratings aren’t absolutely necessary. We’ve been playing without them for ages.

But player potentials, specially for new GMs, that’s a must IMO.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Exactly that. Potential ratings will be published.

At least with a public Excel sheet but we are working also on a different version but it will probably not be ready before end of preseason.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Does that mean scouting will also be eliminated, since we'll have potential ratings access anyway?

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

still have to scout if you want to draft anybody

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Jestor wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:44 pm Does that mean scouting will also be eliminated, since we'll have potential ratings access anyway?
But ratings are to be published after the draft right? When the rookies are added to the game. So you have to scout to draft
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I really dont know how many times we have to say that they are going to be released, but I dont get the focus on shooting ratings. There is so much DATA around shooting if you just look at a players stats that it doesnt make sense for the push for these to get released unless a GM wants to have everything so that they can replicate the league. This adds more value to those GMs who scout and adds some level of realism as opposed to just knowing everything which takes that added bit of unknown fun out.

As for the news about the trade market dying, last season at this exact time there were 14 trades posted compared to this year where there were 18 trades posted. I'm not sure I consider that dying.

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Jestor wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:44 pm Does that mean scouting will also be eliminated, since we'll have potential ratings access anyway?
No, its only potentials for current players in the league. You still need to scout to have any ratings for the upcoming draft classes.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

emplep7 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:19 pm I really dont know how many times we have to say that they are going to be released, but I dont get the focus on shooting ratings. There is so much DATA around shooting if you just look at a players stats that it doesnt make sense for the push for these to get released unless a GM wants to have everything so that they can replicate the league. This adds more value to those GMs who scout and adds some level of realism as opposed to just knowing everything which takes that added bit of unknown fun out.

As for the news about the trade market dying, last season at this exact time there were 14 trades posted compared to this year where there were 18 trades posted. I'm not sure I consider that dying.
Its easy to manipulate shooting ratings, and with preferences shooting ratings can be drastically different than what they could be. So no we cant just look around and know what a players shooting ratings are. If a player takes 1 3 a game and shoots 37% what are we supposed to take from that?

The trades we have now are very minor near meaningless. I used to make 8-15 trades a year. Most for draft picks since i knew little about the players offense in the league. Do you have trade data for 10 seasons?
Last edited by Silogical on Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

emplep7 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:19 pm replicate
If anyone wanted to replicate the league they already have the info they need. They only need the high sample size shooting ratings which they could pinpoint down to 1%. By estimating than running the team the same as the team that has the player. If someone is going to go through that trouble they will get accurate ratings while everyone else is blind.

Yeah i could eyeball high sample size ratings and get close. I care more about low sample size ratings, which would be completely meaningless for a replicated league. Since its low sample size.
Last edited by Silogical on Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

I'm the new guy, so take this with a sizable grain of salt. I've never played any version of the game other than 21. Potential is hidden by default. You have to guess from scouts and age. I was surprised to see they were exposed here. Seems to make the game easier.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Vann_the_Red wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:20 pm I'm the new guy, so take this with a sizable grain of salt. I've never played any version of the game other than 21. Potential is hidden by default. You have to guess from scouts and age. I was surprised to see they were exposed here. Seems to make the game easier.
It doesnt make the game easier or harder. It would make trading easier. If you offer me a young player in a deal and i didnt scout that player id say no thanks. If the ratings were available i could make an informed decision.

Having to think and make an informed decision requires more skill than doing nothing.

Vann_the_Red
General Manager

Post by Vann_the_Red »

In my other online league, the potentials are hidden from everyone.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Vann_the_Red wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:20 pm I'm the new guy, so take this with a sizable grain of salt. I've never played any version of the game other than 21. Potential is hidden by default. You have to guess from scouts and age. I was surprised to see they were exposed here. Seems to make the game easier.
every game prior to that has potentials shown, so it's an unfair advantage to us if we made that change, since we can simply open the old files and see everything.

I like it better with absolutely everything visible. Everyone is on even footing then.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

with that said, I also wish development was like the football games, where anybody can boom or bust... maybe with a single "potential" rating that makes it more or less likely for a player to increase their ratings, but in general this engine's development system has always been annoying

emplep7

Post by emplep7 »

Silogical wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:02 pm
emplep7 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:19 pm I really dont know how many times we have to say that they are going to be released, but I dont get the focus on shooting ratings. There is so much DATA around shooting if you just look at a players stats that it doesnt make sense for the push for these to get released unless a GM wants to have everything so that they can replicate the league. This adds more value to those GMs who scout and adds some level of realism as opposed to just knowing everything which takes that added bit of unknown fun out.

Its easy to manipulate shooting ratings, and with preferences shooting ratings can be drastically different than what they could be. So no we cant just look around and know what a players shooting ratings are. If a player takes 1 3 a game and shoots 37% what are we supposed to take from that?

The trades we have now are very minor near meaningless. I used to make 8-15 trades a year. Most for draft picks since i knew little about the players offense in the league. Do you have trade data for 10 seasons?
We have trading data for every season. This was pulled 1-2 seasons ago since it was stated by another GM at the time and the trading has been steady throughout with ebbs and flows. I think as GMs mature throughout the league their trading styles will also change over time so while you might have made 8-15 trades a year 4 years ago, that might change over time. GMs might also be hesitant to trade with certain GMs in general due to the thought that they are going to be losing the trade, but there can be a number of factors. Not having the shooting ratings I would say would have a low to negligible effect on that since we have never had the shooting ratings released.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I used to be a compulsive trader as well and now I make way less moves
That’s because I have players I like and don’t feel any need to move on from them or pursue deals.

Once you put together pieces you like, why would you actively look to trade them?
You pointed that out perfectly. You wanted to rebuild the roster, so you weren’t attached to any player, hence lots of trades per season.
Then you get Simmons, now you are only looking to trade 14 players. Then DSJ, now 13, Kuzma, 12, then Bird isn’t a star but someone who maximizes your stars’ talents do why would you move on from him unless for a fantastic offer? That’s now 11 movable players, since nobody will pay you what you want for Bird because he’s way more valuable to your team than to others. Let’s say 3 of your players are bench warmers who cannot attract interest by themselves, only as salary fillers. Initially you had 15 players you could talk trade, now you have 8.

Naturally, you’ll begin to trade less as you grow attached to your players.

Wanna trade more? Try trading all your players for youth and picks again. I’m sure you’ll see there’s a trade market, sometimes hotter, sometimes colder, but there clearly is one. Of course, you won’t do it, and you’re completely right, but it explains why you used to trade way more back then
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns