League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Hidden Potentials

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Re: Hidden Potentials

Post by bt »

I'm purposely staying out of this thread but not knowing everything can also help trading. You move guys on if they don't fit the system or are performing poorly not just, I'm still keeping him because he has exactly 90 defense and 44 corner and even though he's shooting only 36% from there so far, I know he has a 44 rating so I'm keeping him.

Goes both ways.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

bt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:18 am I'm purposely staying out of this thread but not knowing everything can also help trading. You move guys on if they don't fit the system or are performing poorly not just, I'm still keeping him because he has exactly 90 defense and 44 corner and even though he's shooting only 36% from there so far, I know he has a 44 rating so I'm keeping him.

Goes both ways.
There is also the other team to factor in. If he's shooting 36% no one will give fair value for a rating 44 since they dont know he's 44. if both teams know he's 44 and shooting 36 for one team that is a great trade opportunity. If i have a 44 shooting 36 he would be traded so fast, because i would sell him as if he was a 42 and other teams would jump on getting a 44 for the price of a 42. Going in blind theres no trade because no one will give the price of a 42 for what they think is a 36 unless they have inside info.

This also has more to do with looking for players you can mold into your system, but if you dont know what theyll do with different pref work there's no point in even looking.

I just got an offer for a player with low %'s and all i can do is say no thanks because i have no scouts and no idea of how i can mold him to fit my system.

bt

Post by bt »

Yeah just saying it goes both ways. I don't think trading is dependent on either otherwise you'd never see GMs without the game make a trade.
sacramento kings

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

bt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:27 am Yeah just saying it goes both ways. I don't think trading is dependent on either otherwise you'd never see GMs without the game make a trade.
Im saying it doesnt go both ways. Its not perfectly in the middle. Trading is much easier the more info we have. The less info we have the harder it is to trade knowing some people will have more info than you.

Yeah someone wihtout the game, who doesnt look at stats, and doesnt look at the html could still make a trade. That doesnt mean it goes both ways. both ways inplies what we lose we gain equally on the other end.

bt

Post by bt »

Just no. You know how many people didn't have the game a long time ago before the CSL and traded like crazy?

That's horse shit you need the info and that's the reason why.
sacramento kings

bt

Post by bt »

I'm talking purely from a trade number perspective because it was brought up above. Info, lack there of or too much has nothing to do with it.
sacramento kings

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

bt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:47 am I'm talking purely from a trade number perspective because it was brought up above. Info, lack there of or too much has nothing to do with it.
It has a lot to do with it. You think if we lost potential ratings trades would stay the same? If we lost all info except for scouts trades would stay the same?

bt

Post by bt »

No, I absolutely agree with you there.

On that topic, I've never advocated for no potentials. I agree that doesn't work and Jon will probably know this but in the other league, we used to release this information via spreadsheet for the draft but it was a letter grade (B-, B+, etc) or comment 'good', 'very good', 'elite', etc) based on a range (70-75 or something).

I completely get the argument, I just don't know why we need exact numbers.
sacramento kings

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

bt wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:00 am No, I absolutely agree with you there.

On that topic, I've never advocated for no potentials. I agree that doesn't work and Jon will probably know this but in the other league, we used to release this information via spreadsheet for the draft but it was a letter grade (B-, B+, etc) or comment 'good', 'very good', 'elite', etc) based on a range (70-75 or something).

I completely get the argument, I just don't know why we need exact numbers.
The main reason is because exact numbers are already out there. Some teams will have exact numbers on players while others have nothing in the case of shooting or a letter grade for potentials in the other league.

bt

Post by bt »

Willy or anyone without the game doesn't.

Anyone who doesn't scout a lot doesn't either but it has been fine to this point.

I just don't get that if that's how it has been, which it has, (except for those without the game or those who don't scout) then everyone on an even keel with players to date and everyone on an even keel with newly drafted players going forward.
sacramento kings

bt

Post by bt »

Anyway I'm bowing out.
sacramento kings

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Nothing against Willy, but let’s be honest. Him not having those information is one of the reasons he did the trades that made Orlando a bottom team for a long time. Hence, it will not only help to boost the trade market, it will also help to let people without the game make better trades.

I really can’t see anything negative in making potentials available.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I can't tell how that will affect the trade market or even if it will. Not an expert in trading. Do I have the record for least trades made?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

I strongly feel the information relative to shooting ratings should be released after the draft is finished. I agree with Silo on this one. It will just make it fair for everyone after the moment that the advantage is being used.

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

For comparison to the NBA

Scouting is extremely important for drafting players in the NBA, and scouting will remain extremely important for drafting players here. Once the player hits the court a few minutes of garbage time becomes far more valuable than the teams old scouting reports in the NBA. In the CSL scouting reports are essential for the players entire career, that needs to change.
mgtr81 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:37 pm I can't tell how that will affect the trade market or even if it will. Not an expert in trading. Do I have the record for least trades made?
It seems the teams that trade the most want to see shooting ratings, and the teams that rarely trade dont care. This makes sense if you dont trade you dont really need this info.