League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Top 5 candidates for MVP

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Top 5 candidates for MVP

Post by Andrewu91 »

With a quarter of the season done with, there are some surprise teams and surprising players. With that said, who are the top 5 candidates for Most Valuable Player so far? Here is my list:

5. DeAaron Fox - The Celtics as a group have produced the 2nd best record so far. But arguably DeAaron Fox is playing as the best player on the team, who have a record of 18-3.

4. Stanley Johnson Jr. - Obviously a very talented player who can dominate games. So far, he has produced the most double doubles. He is also top 10 in scoring and #2 in rebounding. The Thunder also have the best record in Thunder CSL history.

3. John Wall - He has hit the age of 32 and is beginning to decline, or is he? Posting statistics he is averaging 22.7ppg with 10apg. What's even more crazy, he is #2 in double doubles just behind Stanley. Because of his performance and a few other players, the Nuggets have had their best record in 6 CSL seasons

2. Ben Simmons - Sure the Miami Heat are only 12-8 and they will improve upon that, but Ben Simmons is averaging 24.6ppg - 10.2rpg - 5.6apg - 1.1bpg. What's crazy about Ben is, he still hasn't reached his potential!

1. Kyrie Irving - With a declining Blake Griffin, Kyrie Irving has stepped up and the Cavaliers have the 2nd best record in the Eastern Conference so far. Posting stats of 26.2ppg - 5.2apg - 3.7rpg - 1.7spg.

So that's my list? Do you agree, disagree? Should another player be in the conversation? Sound off....
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Re: Top 5 candidates for MVP

Post by Myles »

I’m glad someone else noticed Wall. Just look at my schedule page and look at how many times he shows up as the leading scorer and leading assist man.

Edit: I just checked, and he’s led the game (that’s both teams) in scoring or assists 27 times. We’ve played 25 games so far.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Myles wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:51 pm I’m glad someone else noticed Wall. Just look at my schedule page and look at how many times he shows up as the leading scorer and leading assist man.

Edit: I just checked, and he’s led the game (that’s both teams) in scoring or assists 27 times. We’ve played 25 games so far.
Yeah. Dude balling out for sure. I've noticed because you are in my division lol

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Isaiah Austin gets no respect in the League imo... most underrated player probably of All Time.

Will he win it, no. Should he be on the list, Yes. Not a 20/ 10 Superstar guy but consistently 18-19/ 5 guy for most of his career and the Suns are always challenging for a title.

Can't find anyone from SAC although they have the best record.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

WillyJakkz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 am Isaiah Austin gets no respect in the League imo... most underrated player probably of All Time.

Will he win it, no. Should he be on the list, Yes. Not a 20/ 10 Superstar guy but consistently 18-19/ 5 guy for most of his career and the Suns are always challenging for a title.

Can't find anyone from SAC although they have the best record.
To be honest, I give more credit to their GM's, than the players. The real MVP is their GM's. Can't list them though. Or can I?...

Top 20 GM's article incoming?...

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

At 43.4% shooting there's less than zero chance of SJJ ever getting in the MVP conversation. Like a lot of guys have said, you won the title in spite of him, not because of him.

Tough call between Simmons and Wall right now.

For #3 I'd probably go with Kyrie, then Harden. Fox needs to break the 20 point barrier before he gets consideration, though I can see him as #5 just for lack of better options.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Jestor wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 am At 43.4% shooting there's less than zero chance of SJJ ever getting in the MVP conversation. Like a lot of guys have said, you won the title in spite of him, not because of him.

For #3 I'd probably go with Kyrie, then Harden. Fox needs to break the 20 point barrier before he gets consideration, though I can see him as #5 just for lack of better options.
Kemba shot that and was always in the conversation. I know you hate Stanley though.

So who got me 18 wins so far? I'm supposed to be a bad strategist right? And Stanley isn't good. Bledsoe has been sucking. Klay does what he always does even on losing teams. Aaron Holiday I guess is my MVP if it were your choice I guess.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I don't really care about stats as they're very strategy dependent. We could run high pace and high zone and watch someone like Solomon go get his 20 and 10 no problem but we stick to the system.
Last edited by bt on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I'd give it to Klay over SJJ for sure

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

BizGilwalker wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:18 am I'd give it to Klay over SJJ for sure
The SJJ hate is still real.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Man I didn't realize Wall was playing as well as he is. He's got my vote, him or Irving. Stanley Johnson might not be the most efficient player but he puts tremendous pressure on opposing frontcourts, he averages almost 12 FTA per game which is elite. I don't have him as my MVP but he's a great player.
Ball is Life.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

bt wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:18 am I don't really care about stats as they're very strategy dependent. We could run high pace and high zone and watch someone like Solomon go get his 20 and 10 no problem but we stick to the system.
Makes sense

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

blackice wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 am Man I didn't realize Wall was playing as well as he is. He's got my vote, him or Irving. Stanley Johnson might not be the most efficient player but he puts tremendous pressure on opposing frontcourts, he averages almost 12 FTA per game which is elite. I don't have him as my MVP but he's a great player.
SJJ got some support lol. Thanks bro. I've had him 5 seasons and he fouls out a lot of players. That's his best skill to be honest, besides stealing all the rebounds.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

SJJ wouldn't even start on my team lol

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

bt wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:18 am I don't really care about stats as they're very strategy dependent. We could run high pace and high zone and watch someone like Solomon go get his 20 and 10 no problem but we stick to the system.
his efficiency and steals would go down, and those stats are more important than raw points and rebounds. SJJ is an empty 20-10 guy and he is deservingly getting ripped for being on that list. SJJ is the 3rd best player in OKC.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Like silo said. Pure points arent important to me. Gms looking at points only when it comes to stats didn't understand the engine. Steals, blocks, Oreb, 3pt% etc. are the stats that matter. So basically if a player can fill the statsheet entirely or just the points. SJJ at least grabs Orebs
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Jestor wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:02 am At 43.4% shooting there's less than zero chance of SJJ ever getting in the MVP conversation. Like a lot of guys have said, you won the title in spite of him, not because of him.

Hater lol. Kyrie is top 2 in scoring. Top 3 in PER. Stopping over 90% of drives while seeing the 2nd most. He's almost generating 3 turnovers a game. We're off to our best start and he might be right behind Parker in 30pt games and highest scoring games this season. What's he gotta do?

Phoenix and Sac both deserve a guy, but who? Maybe Porter in Sac and Austin in Phx, but I'm not sure either is a focal point like a traditional MVP.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

No love for Mario Hezonja is disrespectful! Averaging 23.4 points, 5.4 assists, 5.0 rebounds and 1.3 steals while legitimately carrying this franchise into a playoff spot has been huge. Sure, he's averaging 3.3 turnovers per game, but I recently checked and I believe he's forcing two turnovers a game himself so I can live with that.

Did I really expect Hezonja to be on this list? Absolutely not, but I've got to show love to my man as he's having a killer season.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I actually had Hezonja in my mind, but I'm more old school and think more of veterans for MVP. Leadership and all that.
For that same reason Fox not yet, even if he is an amazing talent.

Kyrie I would say is on top, Wall plays a great season. And don't forget Anthony Davis, his team is not on top of the rankings but looks like playoffs again, he plays as always impressive and maybe has the weakest supporting cast to carry.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good stuff man, my top 5 is a little different, but this was an interesting discussion regardless of our differences. My top 5 would be:

5. Exum
4. Simmons
3. Wall
2. Kyrie
1. AD

Honorable mention: SJJ, Hezonja, Fox, Austin, Markennen, Smart
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis