League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Brian Schmitz Report: The New Shaq and Penny!

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

The Brian Schmitz Report: The New Shaq and Penny!

Post by WillyJakkz »

Brian Schmitz: It appears the Magic have found their new Shaq and Penny!

ImageImage
Shaquille O'neal and Penny Hardaway || Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid

"They remind me so much of that 1994-1995 Orlando Magic duo I coached against in the Finals and though we stumbled in the beginning, we've seemed to have found something here that was brought to my attention", stated Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy.

That "something" was an idea that GM WillyJakkz had during the trade that brought both Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid to Orlando for Paul George. "I envisioned Wiggins as a PG in the mold of a Penny Hardaway due to his height, length, and handle but we really didn't get a chance to explore it at the end of last season due to his limited minutes while recovering from his injury", stated GM WillyJakkz.

After stumbling out of the gates this season there was discord and with Van Gundy on the hot seat he was ordered to play Wiggins at the PG position and the players have responded.

Since the move Wiggins has averaged 26.6pts 6rebs and 2asts while Embiid has responded with 21.4pts 12.2rebs and 2.8blks per contest.

Orlando has gone 3-2 since the change and though a farcry from absolute success, it is a distinct improvement in the right direction from the sub .500 team they started as. After laying the wood to contender pretenders the The Clevelan' (no "D") Cavaliers they fell to the young Boston Celtics and tactician supreme GM Dennis.

Next up is a tough schedule of games vs Miami, Indiana, Philadelphia, Utah, and Oklahoma City.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: The Brian Schmitz Report: The New Shaq and Penny!

Post by Flaming Homer »

That is a though schedule ahead!
If you can hang in there the next 5 games, this constellation could be the turning point.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

What handle? I would hardly trust Wiggins at the 2

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Myles wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 am What handle? I would hardly trust Wiggins at the 2
yeah, 50 handle/44 pass isn't anywhere close to point guard territory. He's also too heavy to guard the position. It is not a successful long term strategy by any stretch of the imagination. If Willy really wants to play Wiggins/Covington/Tucker together at the 1-3 for whatever reason, then Covington is a better option. Neither one should be playing PG regardless, but at least Covington has decent handles.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good read man, nice to see the team showing some life lately. I think Wiggins is not a long term PG solution, as he just doesn't have the handles/passing to be effective there. I think snagging a good playmaker that can play solid defense will help you piece everything together.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

LOL that game against us is hardly indicative of success with widely reported fact I just set my 1st real DC of the season. Wiggins is not a PG and I'm supremely confident time will even that out and you play teams with time to gameplan. I would drop a heavy zone heavy press on you and live with the results. We'll give it a real go next matchup. ;)
Cleveland Cavaliers

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

BizGilwalker wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:13 am yeah, 50 handle/44 pass isn't anywhere close to point guard territory. He's also too heavy to guard the position. It is not a successful long term strategy by any stretch of the imagination. If Willy really wants to play Wiggins/Covington/Tucker together at the 1-3 for whatever reason, then Covington is a better option. Neither one should be playing PG regardless, but at least Covington has decent handles.
What do thou speak of?

Conley 10-25 from the field 0 asts 4TO's
Rose 5-21 from the field
Kyrie 5-15
De'Aaron Fox played well going 5-10

I think you replied without even looking when saying he can't guard the position. Also you're missing the point (no pun intended but fitting) which was the reason for the article but I won't spell it out.
drumr wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:20 am LOL that game against us is hardly indicative of success with widely reported fact I just set my 1st real DC of the season. Wiggins is not a PG and I'm supremely confident time will even that out and you play teams with time to gameplan. I would drop a heavy zone heavy press on you and live with the results. We'll give it a real go next matchup. ;)
The dreaded "I didn't turn in a DC" line when guys lose, yet your starting 5 is the same as last season... but ok

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:07 am Good read man, nice to see the team showing some life lately. I think Wiggins is not a long term PG solution, as he just doesn't have the handles/passing to be effective there. I think snagging a good playmaker that can play solid defense will help you piece everything together.
Knight is actually playing really well prior to going to the bench, he was averaging 7.1 asts as the starter, good enough for Top 10 in assists.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Well if it helps you win games then why not

We can see that his drives stopped is quite pathetic currently at 59% which I assume opponent PGs have been able to drive at will on him (although this did not result into much so far). This will be a challenge but, PGs also shoot jumpers and I see Wiggin's blocks went up recently. His defensive/block rating is quite high so he can definitly successfully defend jump shooting (Kyrie) and post up (Rose) PGs.

Offensively, he's been doing quite well in terms of scoring. I suspect height plays a part in shot-blocking so even if he can't drive on PGs they are all too short to block or even contest his shot (this is speculation though). He can obviously post up anybody there.

His TOs went up also and think will continue to rise due to poor handling for a PG.

So there are some advantages to this strategy but lets see if it will translate into more wins. So far they won two tough games at home and dropped two tough games on the road.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Thanks for the Intel Andrei and you pointed out why Wiggins is at point. He can shoot over guys, defend steal blk their shots, and has shot more.

The other huge takeaway is that Embiid is shooting more which is exactly what I wanted. I took the advice you gave me last season to try Standard offense instead of Iso with George and Cousins to get them to shoot better shots instead of forcing them and though I didn't successfully try it with them, it is working great with Wiggins Embiid. Embiid is shutting it down when guys drive past Wiggins. Gonna see what Chriss can do as well but he threw things off with Knight starting so hopefully Wiggins superior scoring will keep things pretty much status quo.
Last edited by WillyJakkz on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I like you optimistic view. Who knows with this engine, anything can work/happen.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Probably closer to a dwight and shard Lewis than a shaq and penny
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Yeah, Wiggins at pg is not a long term strategy. It may work here and there during the regular season when teams don't game plan as much, but putting a defensive PG with high fcp would be the end of that. But it seems you're set on doing it regardless haha.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:00 pm I like you optimistic view. Who knows with this engine, anything can work/happen.
Appreciate it :D
GreenBear wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:44 pm Yeah, Wiggins at pg is not a long term strategy. It may work here and there during the regular season when teams don't game plan as much, but putting a defensive PG with high fcp would be the end of that. But it seems you're set on doing it regardless haha.
Well he has faced some tough PG's with high DEF and I think with high FCP it enhances Covington's ability to create (40asts last 5 games = 8sts/ game) so we're getting a great offset there so something at either SG or PF may be what's off but I can't tell since Chriss has only started 1 game there w/ Wiggins at the point.

Maybe it's a strategic adjustment... still trying to figure it out because we can win this division even w/ out Drummond imho.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

WillyJakkz wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:05 am
BizGilwalker wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:13 am yeah, 50 handle/44 pass isn't anywhere close to point guard territory. He's also too heavy to guard the position. It is not a successful long term strategy by any stretch of the imagination. If Willy really wants to play Wiggins/Covington/Tucker together at the 1-3 for whatever reason, then Covington is a better option. Neither one should be playing PG regardless, but at least Covington has decent handles.
What do thou speak of?

Conley 10-25 from the field 0 asts 4TO's
Rose 5-21 from the field
Kyrie 5-15
De'Aaron Fox played well going 5-10

I think you replied without even looking when saying he can't guard the position. Also you're missing the point (no pun intended but fitting) which was the reason for the article but I won't spell it out.
drumr wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:20 am LOL that game against us is hardly indicative of success with widely reported fact I just set my 1st real DC of the season. Wiggins is not a PG and I'm supremely confident time will even that out and you play teams with time to gameplan. I would drop a heavy zone heavy press on you and live with the results. We'll give it a real go next matchup. ;)
The dreaded "I didn't turn in a DC" line when guys lose, yet your starting 5 is the same as last season... but ok
Actually it's not as I didn't have Butler nor GDP for 75% of the season, but thanks for playing and providing amusing fake news. As most people know Butler was injured 10 games after I got him and GDP was a deadline deal. I've complained about lack of time to do a DC even after winning. So nope on that too.

Finally, lets also lets be real here. There's coaching settings, submatrixes, subout ratios, offensive sets. You know its more than throwing 5 guys out there. That's a rather asinine comment (and incorrect as stated)But the proof is in the puddin as they say and would you look at that. I get a good DC in and I won this sim. Surprising how that works.

So essentially if you're going to be snarky do me a favor and be correct first.

Now back to the fun. Try this again next matchup and let's see how it works against a gameplan. If it does then I'll be surprised based of Wiggin's pas/hdl combo. It might work in spurts, but it won't sustain success longterm imo.
Last edited by drumr on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

:shock:
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This is going to be good...

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 pm This is going to be good...
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but his reply was infactual and mildly condecending. Any good GM will tell you a proper DC is pretty inportant. Look at Philly now that they have an active GM.
Cleveland Cavaliers

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, micromanaging makes a big difference.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

hardenwithnod wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 pm Yeah, micromanaging makes a big difference.
Especially with older or multipositional rosters. I think even Orlando would do better moving players around to exploit matchups more, but its a pretty big time commitment. Toronto is another good example of how important DCs are.
Cleveland Cavaliers