League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Grizzlies resign their top FA target

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
andrei
Chairman of the Board

Grizzlies resign their top FA target

Post by andrei »

Harrison Barnes will be doing a lot of driving at the expense of shooting this year for the Grizzlies.

Grizzlies announced today that they have officially resigned Harrison Barnes to a 4 year deal with a player option for Final Year.

‘’We are happy to have Harrison back. I really liked the way he played for us last year and provided a scoring punch off the bench. Now, armed with a new contract, we are looking for him to play a larger role.’’ - Grizzlies GM Andrei Sanzharov announced.

Barnes averaged 15.4 points and 5.9 boards in 28.7 minutes for the Grlizzlies last season mostly coming off the bench. He also shot 49% from the field and 40% from downtown. He seems to fit in well into their small high pressure lineup and looks to come back to be the team’s leading Power Forward this season.

Barnes’ career has somewhat stalled after he signed the MAX deal with the Warriors a few seasons ago. The Warriors soon switched management and the new group did not have Barnes as part of their long-term plans. Hence he got glued to the bench while injuries and disatisfaction with his role piled up. Warriors tried to trade him unsuccessfully until the Grizzlies came calling and he was included for salary purposes as part of a bigger deal.

‘’I think there are a good few GMs who will forever look at Barnes as an overpaid player on a max deal. Some even considered him an expiring throw in when we acquired him last season. But we think different. He had his challenges in Oakland sure, but they do not take away from what he is – a solid player. Not a star in this league but solid starter who can score and play defense.’’

‘’We like his fit a lot. He is an impressive inside-out scorer who can get to the line and hit some threes. He is perhaps a bit undersized for a big man but he uses his quickness and athleticism well on both ends of the court. We are looking for him to add some weight this offeason and officially move to power forward position.’’ - Andrei added

Grizzlies are still planning to be active on the free agent front and expect to have up to 15 players signed before opening the training camp later on this week (hopefully).
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Grizzlies resign their top FA target

Post by hardenwithnod »

He's on a much more reasonable deal now, and he did pretty well for you as a PF, so no brainer to resign him back. He has some intriguing ratings, and his ability to play PF has definitely made him into a much more valuable asset now.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Not much of a fan of Barnes, but I understand you bringing him back as he was productive for you.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I'm not a big fan of barnes either, I'm actually more surprised of your shift to so many more offensive oriented players
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I like Barnes, but like BB I'm surprised you have added offense only this off-season. Smith Giles and Barnes are solid on D but more offensive oriented. Looks like you want a better mix of O and D
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Dennis wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:18 am I like Barnes, but like BB I'm surprised you have added offense only this off-season. Smith Giles and Barnes are solid on D but more offensive oriented. Looks like you want a better mix of O and D
I think outside of Giles they are two way players - both Barnes and Smith have decent defensive ratings - they are not Crowder ratings sure but still good. Even Giles brings some shot blocking.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Barnes is underrated, he's a super high IQ player who can play 3 positions and you got him at a good price point.
Ball is Life.