League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Kings looking at big names

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Kings looking at big names

Post by bt »

With free agency underway and holding over 27 million in cap space, the Sacramento Kings are weighing up targets as a major decision is looming.... Whether or not to launch at one of the elite free agents on offer.

There are many big names available during this free agency period and the Kings do have options as they are able to offer any player a maximum level contract as well as return both restricted free agents. Rumors around the league have them focusing their efforts on Dwight Howard as they've longed after a quality shot blocking big man or sharp shooting phenom, Steph Curry, who would seamlessly fit into their pressure back court. Then there is Kevin Durant, who they chased but opted to pull out at the last minute only one season ago, Russell Westbrook or even a Derrick Rose. Options are aplenty but getting any of those players to leave their team will be extremely tough with previous teams being able to offer 5 years compared to the Kings 4 years. The player agents of the CSL have made it very clear early on that players are demanding 5 year deals at this stage.

One other key decision is if the Kings even want to take this path. The main reason they pulled out of the Durant chase last season was to try and show the league they can win without a superstar. Despite falling to the eventual champions in 7 games, after stealing home court early on, there was more than enough to show the league it can be done. They had a point differential of +15 which was best in the league, ahead of the champion Rockets (+12.5) or the runner up Pistons (+14.5) and had a super home record which if stood up in the conference finals, would have seen them go to the finals.

Despite these numbers, any front office in the league very rarely find themselves in a position of winning a large number of games and coming into a substantial amount of cap space to improve again. It's quite possible they learnt from last seasons New Orleans Pelicans. A team that also won a large number of games the year prior, won the CSL championship and headed into free agency also with a substantial amount of cap space. They too opted to remove themselves from the race for a top line star and in hindsight, may have wasted a super opportunity. In the end, do they regret that?

The Kings front office is well aware of the Pelicans situation and will be making serious decisions over the next few hours as to whether they will follow suit or not. Of course, any financial impact this off season may seriously hamper their flexibility in coming seasons. With three more extensions coming up next season in Elfrid Payton, Richard Solomon and Jusuf Nurkic, it will definitely cost them one, if not more if they decide to act now on a bigger name star. Will that take away from what made them so good?
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Re: Kings looking at big names

Post by 8timechamp »

Durant wants to sign with the Kings according to the system. Offer him max and don't look back. That's my advice. What's the worst that can happen? He turns you down and you match your restricted free agents.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Haha that would be so scary to add KD to your team. Then again, I've still got Wiggins. He's injured KD once, and he won't hesitate to do it again. :)

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I think you had a very good chance to get KD last season. But you are a too good guy and didn't want to steal kd from jeff. Not sure if it is possible to steal max FAs, it rarely happens in DDS as far as I know, but KD definitely would be a great fit.
However, even you can't land one of the big fishs, you could pull a New Orleans and try to sign some decent roleplayers cheap. Even if they are just trade assets in the future.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Durant may sign but you got to make sure your own FAs come back also. Porter aka RealDPOY is key to your continued success
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

dapralbe
Senior Vice President

Post by dapralbe »

If kevint durant go to sacramento goodbye for the rest of the teams for years.

dapralbe
Senior Vice President

Post by dapralbe »

But only is my opinion, first day i put durant offer and i i get him, after trade griffin, but i prefer now build a decent team with more options, you have excellent values of rookies but a lot of assets to resign. But you have a lot of money this is true.

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

As they should be.

They really need to make a move to put them over the hump. Perhaps player development is all that is needed, but I can't see that being the case.

Whatever it takes to not become the Kings of the early 2000's in the NBA - amazing team that couldn't quite knock out the superstar led Lakers.

bt

Post by bt »

lakeshowak7 wrote:As they should be.

They really need to make a move to put them over the hump. Perhaps player development is all that is needed, but I can't see that being the case.

Whatever it takes to become the Kings of the early 2000's in the NBA.
Yeah, I know some GM's probably thought I was stupid to pull my offer last year when I had a great chance of signing Durant. Probably say the same this season if we opt to stick fat and not make any offers.

Harden doesn't make it easy on teams trying to beat the Rockets and most of my young guys development is already at year 3 so they might not get any better anyway. Thinking that these first few days of FA.
sacramento kings

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

KD in addition to your current team is a scary thought.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

KD or D12 would look scary, for sure. I don't see the fit for a PG though, Payton and his great D at the position is what makes your D looks so impressive, he's a super drive stopper and a ball hawk guy, he matches up well with PGs that are always looking to penetrate.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I'm curious to see who maxes Porter.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

bt

Post by bt »

Other than us?
sacramento kings

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Go big man. It's hard and takes some luck to win. Have to take every chance you get with this engine.

dapralbe
Senior Vice President

Post by dapralbe »

+1 agreed

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Don't regret it. Haha.

KD brings you a championship, IMO. That's the whole point. You have to at least offer.

I don't know that Dwight gets you there.

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Sun Scorched wrote:Don't regret it. Haha.

KD brings you a championship, IMO. That's the whole point. You have to at least offer.

I don't know that Dwight gets you there.
Agreed.

StOfTheStep
Senior Vice President

Post by StOfTheStep »

GreenBear wrote:Haha that would be so scary to add KD to your team. Then again, I've still got Wiggins. He's injured KD once, and he won't hesitate to do it again. :)
Classic Phoenix scum.