League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Controversy Erupts at Smoothie King Center

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Anthony Davis argues with the referee during his 6th and final foul, leaving the game after only 29 minutes.

Only a few minutes after the Game 6 tilt between Phoenix and New Orleans – a game which saw the Anthony Davis-led Pelicans advance to the second round – coaches, players and fans alike were left scratching their heads.

In total, 68 fouls were call on both sides. Phoenix was whistled 14 more times than the home team, six players fouled out (Davis, Lillard, Bledsoe, Portis, Larkin, Williams) and both Delon Wright and Tyson Chandler finished the game with 5 fouls (Chandler in limited minutes as a result).
“It was very strange.” Admitted New Orleans GM Jace Hinderland. “It made for a choppy game, one where no one really got any momentum. It’s almost like the refs were on a mission. I wish they had just let us play some basketball.“
Although New Orleans held on to win by only four points, Damian Lillard (23 minutes) and Anthony Davis (29 minutes) were left watching the fourth quarter from the sidelines.
“It was difficult,” admitted Lillard, “you want to be out there fighting with your boys. I feel like the refs were just messin’ with us, ya know?”
Was there more to this outing than meets the eye? Rumor has it that the referees held an extraordinarily long pre-game meeting. What was discussed beforehand, no one is quite sure of. Several league employees were, however, seen leaving the same meeting – a rare occurrence for a first round matchup.

Regardless of the actual motive behind the strange and, in some ways, conspiracy-motivating game, the box score tell the story.

Phoenix shot 89 times, converting 47% of those attempts, drained 10 of 15 from deep and converted 67% of their 37 foul shots.

New Orleans only attempted 69 shots from the field, but converted 52% of the time, hit only 2 of 8 from distance, but scored on 79% of their 62 free throw attempts.

In a game decided by only 4 points, it’s obvious that the Phoenix Suns put forth a Herculean-effort.
“I love that young Phoenix squad,” Hinderland said nodding, “they have a great GM and a young, motivated team. They were missing Isaiah (Austin) and that kid is already a difference maker. There is no doubt in my mind that the Suns truly are and will remain a top seed in the Western Conference for a long time.”

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Re: Controversy Erupts at Smoothie King Center

Post by Sun Scorched »

Just sayin'......

dapralbe
Senior Vice President

Post by dapralbe »

hot eliminatory, and great series. phoenix had bad luck with injuries but this team is fantastic, and doug next year with a few movements can do top 3 in west.
i said that new orleans can do more in this playoffs.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Pels advance to face off the Kings, but a great series.

With Austin and Turner healthy + lots of minor injuries gone this would have been a completely different series. Pels missing Dekker as well which is a big part of their depth but there's no way to compare what both squads were missing..

Good luck against the Kings Jace! AD playing on a ridiculous level so anything can happen!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Haha I like the entertaining article. I just thought 62 FTs were ridiculous considering the defense I was playing (due to my lack of depth from injuries, I eased off because I didn't want my guys to foul out... haha). Especially with Cotton getting 16 FTAs despite a very poor DRFL rating. Just one of those games.

That said, your team had a much better shot at the title than mine this year, so it's probably better for the league that you guys advanced. Well played series as always, and I'll be looking forward to that Kings-Pelicans matchup. Blockbuster of a series coming up.

dapralbe
Senior Vice President

Post by dapralbe »

Buff cotton lillard lee davis chandler beverley capela and dekker only chicago have similar names and rqtings high quality in all aspects. Onky taken 8 players pelicans bulls finql but.....

Rob
Senior Vice President

Post by Rob »

Sun Scorched wrote:Image

Just sayin'......
I need to get in on this

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Definitely some money being tossed around to the ref before that game.

But man 62 FTAs is crazy. Good series and it would have been even better if Austin was around, but the Suns are a young team that will be a fixture in the playoffs for several years. Good luck on the next round Jace.