League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Harden, Davis Square Off in Western Conference Finals

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

In a meeting of the #1 and #2 seeds in the Western Conference, a young New Orleans squad faces off against a team many were already crowning CSL champion at the beginning of the regular season. Without a doubt, Houston most certainly could have finished with the better regular season record had they not preserved players for the post season. With arguably the best backcourt player in the league, Houston looks to run an inexperienced Pelicans team into the ground.

Said GM Jace Hinderland, in response to questions about his team's ability to compete with the hard-charging Rockets:
Look, we know what our weaknesses are. We've been thrilled with our performance this season, but we are still young and this team is far from the finished product. Our most glaring challenge is the amount of zone run in this league and, more specifically, the amount of zone teams are playing against us in the playoffs. Coach is literally standing on the sidelines, yelling for our players to NOT take three point shots - you know, we like to pound it down low with Anthony and DeAndre - and yet they jack up those shots left and right. It's frustrating.
Indeed, Houston has a defined formula. With complimentary pieces stashed around Harden on offense, he literally has full discretion on which way he thinks it best to get the ball in the basket - something he does quite well, quite often and frequently through (sometimes imagined) contact resulting in a league leading number of foul shots per contest.
Yeah - it's pretty impressive, to be honest. Bryce is our floor general and a solid young guard, but it's a lot to ask him to guard James [Harden]. With the amount of combo guards in the league, you sometimes have to wonder if the vintage pass-first point guard is a thing of the past. I mean, we didn't draft Bryce to defend, we drafted him to create offense... but sometimes, like now, the former seems more valuable. We have a game plan for game two, so let's see where that leads us before we hit the panic button... but this is a big game two, without question.

NanashiWake
Senior Vice President

Re: Harden, Davis Square Off in Western Conference Finals

Post by NanashiWake »

Such a greta match-up. Should be fun to watch all series long. This is the part of the playoffs where the superstars really shine.
Year 1: 47-35 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 2: 45-37 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 3: Fired [[Portland Trailblazers]]

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Hard to lose #1. But I disagree. Defensive minded PGs are the key to win it all and I think Cotton is a good defender. Harden's DRFL sucks, but I think you can a way around it.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Dennis wrote:Hard to lose #1. But I disagree. Defensive minded PGs are the key to win it all and I think Cotton is a good defender. Harden's DRFL sucks, but I think you can a way around it.
I will say, it does feel like Cotton has been torched all season long by the Walls/Westbrooks/Hardens of the world.......

And if Cotton can't handle Harden at 90% +/- .... then I don't even know.....

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

Sun Scorched wrote:
Dennis wrote:Hard to lose #1. But I disagree. Defensive minded PGs are the key to win it all and I think Cotton is a good defender. Harden's DRFL sucks, but I think you can a way around it.
I will say, it does feel like Cotton has been torched all season long by the Walls/Westbrooks/Hardens of the world.......

And if Cotton can't handle Harden at 90% +/- .... then I don't even know.....
I think Lillard put 50 up on Cotton. Maybe.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

This is a great matchup. I don't see Cotton as anywhere near good enough defensively to challenge Harden - it will be up to Davis to compensate
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

I will say, being a front-court oriented team seems to put you at a disadvantage with as easy as it is to zone the crap outta everyone, and with the relative lack of shooters in the league. (of course the shooters we do have all shoot 45% - haha)

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

:D I know this is fantasy but as a Laker fan I see Kobe coming up huge for the Pelicans to lift them to the finals...

Realistically though, he might, but its going to be a hard fought battle and any team can take this. Just depends on which team adjusts better. I picked Rockets for the finals before, but any team can take this. Just think Rockets have more offensive depth which will help them advance.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Sun Scorched wrote:I will say, being a front-court oriented team seems to put you at a disadvantage with as easy as it is to zone the crap outta everyone, and with the relative lack of shooters in the league. (of course the shooters we do have all shoot 45% - haha)
I agree 100%. You can't just have a strong front court and expect to win throughout, which is what happened last year to us and we got owned by the Nuggets. You need to have a good balance of your front court and guards who can take over. If we didn't have Teague and Deron on our team, we would have been bounced in the 2nd round.

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

emplep7 wrote:
Sun Scorched wrote:I will say, being a front-court oriented team seems to put you at a disadvantage with as easy as it is to zone the crap outta everyone, and with the relative lack of shooters in the league. (of course the shooters we do have all shoot 45% - haha)
I agree 100%. You can't just have a strong front court and expect to win throughout, which is what happened last year to us and we got owned by the Nuggets. You need to have a good balance of your front court and guards who can take over. If we didn't have Teague and Deron on our team, we would have been bounced in the 2nd round.
Wow - didn't realize until I looked at his postseason stats, but Deron is BLOWING UP.