League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Rockets Complete Sweep Of Former Center

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
KW
CSL Champ 2017

Rockets Complete Sweep Of Former Center

Post by KW »

ImageImage

Once the backbone of what was expected to be a perennial contender, James Harden and Dwight Howard were separated in a mid-season deal that sent Dwight from the Rockets to the Clippers in exchange for Thad Young, Marcin Gortat, Roy Devyn Marble, Shabazz Muhammad, and a 1st round pick. Howard, who had struggled with injury, fouls, and lack of touches over the last couple of seasons, has seen those issues diminish as a member of the Clippers, averaging nearly 26/12. Harden continued to have a historic scoring season for the Rockets.

It seemed almost fitting that the Rockets and Clippers would clash in the playoffs, given the number and magnitude of trades these teams have made over the years (the Rockets also acquired Faried from the Clippers last summer, and David Lee from the Clippers the previous season).

The series was expected to go to 5 or 6 games at least- even Rockets GM BizGilwalker admitted he didn't think the Rockets would finish the series in less than six games. "I expected Dwight to foul out our entire roster at least once. Turns out James did it to them first."

The Rockets took Game 1 in a 142-93 laugher in which Harden scored 55 points and Howard, Wade, and Holiday all failed to play big minutes due to foul trouble. Harden kept applying the pressure, scoring 45/11 in a 19 point win in Game 2, completely eliminating Holiday from the game. Howard had a big night, fouling out Faried in 18 quick minutes and putting up 37/11. Starting the series in such dominating fashion, Harden's Rockets were able to carry momentum into double-digit wins in LA, completing the sweep. Howard had a dominant series, but outside of Wade, LA got very little from the supporting unit.

Harden admitted that his combined 100 points in Games 1 and 2 occurred to "send a message". "I was never losing to Dwight. There's a lot of respect between us, but you know I wasn't losing this one."

Fear the beard, indeed.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Rockets Complete Sweep Of Former Center

Post by Marcos_Beck »

One of the keys about stopping those Rockets is trowing someone at Harden who's not only a good defender but a very smart and disciplined one. Jrue isn't smart nor disciplined, so that pretty much sealed the deal, as he could guard Harden but not for long enough due to foul trouble, while the Bearded one kept going to the line.

LAC has a very interesting and solid roster. But it's BI.
Let's see what he does from here.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Marcos_Beck wrote:One of the keys about stopping those Rockets is trowing someone at Harden who's not only a good defender but a very smart and disciplined one. Jrue isn't smart nor disciplined, so that pretty much sealed the deal, as he could guard Harden but not for long enough due to foul trouble, while the Bearded one kept going to the line.

LAC has a very interesting and solid roster. But it's BI.
Let's see what he does from here.
Exactly. I toyed with the idea of matching Harden up with Wade instead of Holiday, but I stayed the course with Harden at PG given Jrue's IQ/DI ratings. Certainly didn't hurt that LA's backup PG was Luke Ridnour. I knew Holiday was going to struggle with fouls, but I was not expecting him to foul out just about every game. I'll take it.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I don't know if we'll get through but I'd love to have a chance at Harden. We force the most turnovers in the league and his 62 handling at the point should help us out there.

Just have to try and get past Memphis now so we can have a try at it.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

bt wrote:I don't know if we'll get through but I'd love to have a chance at Harden. We force the most turnovers in the league and his 62 handling at the point should help us out there.

Just have to try and get past Memphis now so we can have a try at it.
I look forward to the challenge either one of you presents me with. Two rosters with very different makeups.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Hah love the friendly rivalry between Harden and Dwight.

I think the Randle/Klay trade sealed this season for the Clips as they had a well rounded team until that trade happened, but they are better set up for the future.

The Rockets are playing good right now so I think its going to be hard for anyone to prevent the NO/HOU matchup that is coming to the West.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

tough loss for the Clippers. It just didn't work out for them. But next round will be tough for them. Both SAC and MEM offer a different type of challenge...
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Disappointed we didn't go further but man, Harden has to be the best player in the league. Marco made a great point I didn't think about regarding IQ/DI! I'm happy with Dwight and will build around him but that trade turned the Rockets into a 9-10 man team. Starting quality guys, two deep at every position.
Congrats to HOU and goodluck moving forward.
Ball is Life.