League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

MVP Kevin Durant on Anthony Davis: 'He's next in line'

Write snippets about your team or the league here.
Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

LAS VEGAS – On May 6, 2013, then Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant delivered one of the most memorable MVP speeches in sports history, an emotional 25-minute soliloquy that thanked countless people in Durant’s life for his success, on and off the court. As it turns out, Durant’s Thunder teammates weren’t the only NBA players who received a meaningful message that week.

As reported by SLAM magazine in a recent profile of New Orleans forward Anthony Davis, when Davis texted congratulations to Durant on winning league MVP, Durant responded back to Davis that the 21-year-old is headed for the honor someday.

“You on your way to get it,” read Durant’s text message back to Davis.

The words initially stunned Davis, a Western Conference All-Star teammate of Durant’s for the first time in February.

“It was shocking,” Davis said. “For a guy who knows what it takes to win an MVP award, telling me that I’m on my way, it means he sees something in me. That means a lot, especially from one of the best players in the league right now, if not the best. It just meant a lot. It made me want to work even harder.”

Durant, a friend of Davis and a teammate on the USA team that won gold at the 2012 Olympics, explained that his return text was simply a recognition of Davis’ sky-high promise and potential. The 6-foot-10, 238-pounder was one of the league’s most improved players in 2013-14, averaging 20.8 points, 10.0 rebounds and a league-leading 2.8 blocks.

“I know how good he’s going to be,” the four-time NBA scoring champion said, after a USA Basketball practice. “I know how good he is now, but I know how good he’s going to be. He’s an MVP-caliber player. So he’s next. He’s next in line – a guy that has grown so much in just a year. I’m excited to see what he does from here. He’s definitely on pace.”

Durant, who’s on the same floor as Davis this week in Las Vegas for the first time since the All-Star Game, also took immediate notice of changes to Davis’ frame, the result of time spent in the weight room this summer.

“You can tell he’s getting bulkier, getting bigger, more confident. You can tell he’s working,” Durant said. “I’m excited for him. He’s a good friend of mine. I’ve seen him since he was a junior in high school. His growth from then to now is just phenomenal. He’s just growing every single day. He’s moving up the ladder every single day. It’s scary. Scary.”
Last edited by Sun Scorched on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanashiWake
Senior Vice President

Re: MVP Kevin Durant on Anthony Davis: 'He's next in line'

Post by NanashiWake »

I believe it, in my personal opinion. Anthony Davis is the best in the league. Look at how good the Pelicans are with him leading the way at 22. Dude is a monster.
Year 1: 47-35 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 2: 45-37 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 3: Fired [[Portland Trailblazers]]

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

Yeah I'd say there's no question he wins it this season - or at least SHOULD win it. The only players who probably have a long shot at changing this notion in my mind would be James Harden and Al Jefferson.

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

NanashiWake wrote:I believe it, in my personal opinion. Anthony Davis is the best in the league. Look at how good the Pelicans are with him leading the way at 22. Dude is a monster.
You have to consider the other players as well (Jordan, Cotton, White) but yes he is the most valuable player in the game right now!
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Best team in the league and the best player (maybe). I still believe harden is the better one of them, but as soon as AD added some experience they should be unstoppable
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Sun Scorched
CSL Champ 2016

Post by Sun Scorched »

Dennis wrote:Best team in the league and the best player (maybe). I still believe harden is the better one of them, but as soon as AD added some experience they should be unstoppable
So, obviously, I like Davis.

But I actually agree with you for one primary reason. Harden gives you a more significant advantage than Davis from a team FG% standpoint. Davis does a lot of things well, but he only scores at a rate expected of a good PF - .500+

Harden gives you backcourt scoring at that level - .500+

Dragic, too, comes to mind.

Team Harden
PG - .400
SG - .500+
SF - .450
PF - .500
C - .550

Team Davis
PG - .400
SG - .425
SF - .450
PF - .500+
C - .550

The delta between what Harden provides offensively over the average SG is significantly higher than the delta Davis provides over the average PF. This effect is made even more pronounced since HOU plays Harden at PG a lot.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Harden's FG% will drop. He played with 75% drive the majority of the season.

CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Dennis wrote:Harden's FG% will drop. He played with 75% drive the majority of the season.
That was fixed in December, I believe. His field goal percentage has held fairly steady since then, the volume has been slightly lower. His FG% has been above 50% all year.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

BizGilwalker wrote:
Dennis wrote:Harden's FG% will drop. He played with 75% drive the majority of the season.
That was fixed in December, I believe. His field goal percentage has held fairly steady since then, the volume has been slightly lower. His FG% has been above 50% all year.
It was the end of january actually. Close to february I believe.

CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Dennis wrote:
BizGilwalker wrote:
It was the end of january actually. Close to february I believe.
You sure? I remember it being right after his last 50 point game.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Yeah I did the update

CSL Champions Image 2028

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Dennis wrote:Yeah I did the update
Well then... he did get injured directly after that and his shooting numbers are down a bit- 47%.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Harden is better offensively, hands down.
But Davis brings too much value on D, the way he can lock down any low post thread in the league sliding between C and PF and be among the top players in both shot-blocking (rim-protection) and turnovers forced (fastbreaks), that's simple amazing.

Harden is elite at one side of the ball and fairly sucks at the other. The only good thing he can do on D is generating slightly over 1.5 steals a game (same as AD), and posting adequate PA/SF I believe (because of his size). He's fairly mediocre as a defender, specially because his discipline is poor for a perimeter defender and his drive stop % sucks as he's playing PG.

To summarize:

Offense: Harden (A++) >> Davis (A-)
Defense: Davis (A+) >>> Harden (C+)

Davis for MVP right now. Harden has until the end of the year to elevate his team to #1 and his offensive grade to S (special).
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns