League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Off to a Rocky Start, a bandaid to keep us from falling apart

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Ramcus
CEO

Off to a Rocky Start, a bandaid to keep us from falling apart

Post by Ramcus »

Eleven games into the season, and the New Orleans Pelicans are in a precarious scenario. They boldly challenged the CSL in a public interview, and the CSL has responded, treating the Pelicans to a 3-8 start to the season. New Orleans Pelicans GM Ramcus has assembled an odd batch of players, with hopes to make the post season. There has been some seriously disappointing losses for the New Orleans Pelicans, including losses to the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Philadelphia 76ers. In spite of that, they still hold their head high, awaiting their next game.

Anthony Davis: 25 MPG/ 18.7 PPG/ 8.3 RPG/ 2.4 OR/ 2.5 BLK/ 1.2 SPG/ 3.1 PF/ 59.5% FG
A rocky start for the franchise superstar, Davis has been limited by minute restrictions and playing "too hard" every game, resulting in less then 28 MPG and 3.1 PF a game. Davis is looking to be unleashed, and perhaps he will get his wish...

Paul George: 32.8 MPG/ 21.6 PPG/ 4.3 RPG/ 1.2 APG/ 2.0 SPG/ 3.4 PF/ 41.5% FG/ 35.1% 3FG/ 81.8% FT
Contrary to Davis, George has been spectacular so far. Despite his poor efficiency, he's carrying this team on his back. He's only waiting for the coach to release the restraints on Davis, so they can become the superstar duo they were meant to be.

Moe Harkless: 28.4 MPG/ 13.3 PPG/ 2.6 RPG/ 1.2 APG/ 1.5 SPG/ 2.5 PF/ 46.3% FG/ 47.1 3FG
Despite the dreadful start to the season, Harkless has more then proven his worth on this team. He has been put in a [theoretical] winning situation, and has produced as a winner. A high efficiency 3rd option, he's been simply fantastic.

Other bright spots include Derrick Jones (although inefficent), Joe Jackson, Brice Johnson, Aquille Carr, and Yuta Watanabe.

The Pels began last season with one thing in mind, to contend for the championship. In doing so, they chased after big name free agents. As lady-luck was on their side that night, they landed perennial all-star Paul George. With that big name free agent acquisition in the bag, they moved to fill out the roster around Anthony Davis and Paul George, picking up Aquille Carr, Dwight Howard, and Ante Zizic in free agency. With their off season complete, they quietly took offers to cement their roster for the post season. They offered and declined trade offers (Sorry FVV and Rizzo), and as the season rolled around, they filled out the remaining spots with Andrew Bynum, LiAngelo Ball, and Yuta Watanabe.
As the Pels slowly realized the slump they were in, they decided to pull the trigger on a big deal on Day 30, moving players they had just acquired for an even bigger player. The Pelicans decided to move recently acquired Moe Harkless, Brandon Jennings, and a future protected 1st Round Pick for Klay Thompson of the OKC Thunder and Justin Holiday of the Chicago Bulls. These moves were done to fill in holes in the Pelican's offense and defense. The Pelicans front office have heard word around the league that other teams viewed the roster as extremely zoneable, one GM even said
Anonymous GM
They won't make any noise in the playoffs, even if they can make it!
So the front office made the move to acquire big time shot maker, zone breaker, Klay Thompson. Known for his excessive amount of 3's, teams will regret zoneing the current Pelicans. In response to losing their 3rd option, Moe Harkless, the Pelicans made moves to acquire Justin Holiday to fill the hole left on defense. Holiday, who is locked down on a 4 year contract, and is in the middle of his prime, will be looking to contribute immediately for a contending team.
The New Orleans Pelicans knew fully well going into the season that their bench was not deep at all, so they made moves to look for a quality bench piece. The Pels are looking forward to adding forward Lance Stephenson from the LA Clippers, A quality bench unit role player, he fits the need of a second or first option off the bench. One anonymous GM dubbed Stephenson as
Anonymous GM
Lance Stephenson will be the best player off your bench
With the dreadful start to the season, the New Orleans Pelicans Front Office is looking to revamp their team, and revamp they have. With a new roster of:
PG: Joe Jackson/ Aquille Carr
SG: Klay Thompson/ Paul George/ Justin Holiday
SF: Lance Stephenson/ Derrick Jones/ Yuta Watanabe
PF: Anthony Davis/ Brice Johnson
C: Dwight Howard/ Ante Zizic
They look to bounce back from their 3-8 start, and get into the CSL playoffs.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Re: Off to a Rocky Start, a bandaid to keep us from falling apart

Post by drumr »

Why would losing to me be seriously disappointing? LOL the disrespect from the new class. I'll make sure I set a playoff style game plan from now on when we play since apparently you have a low opinion of my skills and team :lol:

PG: Joe Jackson/ Aquille Carr
SG: Klay Thompson/ Paul George/ Justin Holiday
SF: Lance Stephenson/ Derrick Jones/ Yuta Watanabe
PF: Anthony Davis/ Brice Johns
C: Dwight

Is not gonna win you games imo.

Jackson/Carr
George/Holiday
Thompson/Stephenson
Davis/Brice
Howard

Would be significantly better. You want shooting spread out in both lineups.
Cleveland Cavaliers

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I would start and close games with Carr/Holiday/Klay/PG/Davis. Jackson, Stephenson, Johnson, Dwight round out the top nine but falls off super hard after that

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Yeah he's acquired some good depth now. Still thin at backup PG and PF, but a good matrix would go a long way
Cleveland Cavaliers

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Harkless is on fire to start the season, and Davis is nowhere near what he's capable of doing. Once you figure out the team and how to get them rolling, you will be very difficult to beat.

The title left me thinking this whole article was going to rhyme, and I was really looking forward to it. Now I want some bars from you Ramcus, let's see your freestyles!

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I like your team. I still think you need one more solid piece to be a true contender, but you will be really good once you figure out the right lineup, currently.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Rocky start indeed. I do think you'll get it figured out eventually, but to how much success is the question. Enough to make an actual run at the title? Or enough to fight for one of the last couple playoff spots before getting blown off the court by the Kings? I know that Klay is coming in, but you have a serious mountain to climb.

This is why I commented on one of your articles before the season started and advised not to trade your future 1st. It's the biggest mistake seemingly 95% of new GMs do. I specifically said teams would try to tempt you and undoubtedly whisper sweet nothings to get you to trade it. I can't recall any new GMs getting close to a title. It takes a little while to learn the engine, how to build a team and come up with a successful system.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

GreenBear wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 am Rocky start indeed. I do think you'll get it figured out eventually, but to how much success is the question. Enough to make an actual run at the title? Or enough to fight for one of the last couple playoff spots before getting blown off the court by the Kings? I know that Klay is coming in, but you have a serious mountain to climb.

This is why I commented on one of your articles before the season started and advised not to trade your future 1st. It's the biggest mistake seemingly 95% of new GMs do. I specifically said teams would try to tempt you and undoubtedly whisper sweet nothings to get you to trade it. I can't recall any new GMs getting close to a title. It takes a little while to learn the engine, how to build a team and come up with a successful system.
Taco 12 pack

Now you know..
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Given how the west looks outside of the top4 + Houston, you definitely have a chance to sneak in as 7th or 8th. But that's already the best you could do. Even I other GMs couldnt do any better than that with that team (and Klay incoming). Against Phx, Portland oder Sac I dont see you win many games in a playoff series though. Spurs still have to show that their run aint a fluke.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Has Davis been injured and that's why he's only playing 26 minutes a game?
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Dennis wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:52 am Given how the west looks outside of the top4 + Houston, you definitely have a chance to sneak in as 7th or 8th. But that's already the best you could do. Even I other GMs couldnt do any better than that with that team (and Klay incoming). Against Phx, Portland oder Sac I dont see you win many games in a playoff series though. Spurs still have to show that their run aint a fluke.
This

If you figure out to keep AD on the court you will get on a run sooner than later.
Especially so many away games did you in at the start.

Some more depth and it is a playoff team in the west. No contender though, that would surprise me. Sacramento, Phoenix and Houston have just more talent and experienced GM's.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

bt wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:18 pm Has Davis been injured and that's why he's only playing 26 minutes a game?
No, I've had 2 back-to-back's already, and I haven't been able to put in a winning DC. Also, foul trouble.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

You guys have under performed for sure. The addition of PG13 was a huge move but now it's finding a way to make it all fit together. I think landing Klay was huge for your team but getting the right people on the court at the right times is a must.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye