League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Wizards Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Wizards Season Review

Post by hardenwithnod »

Another season, another all star appearance for Milos Teodosic.

Another season down, another first round exit for the Washington Wizards. Good news: Wizards have made the playoffs for the third consecutive season under GM Chan. Bad news: The Wizards still has not been able to get out of the first round of the CSL playoffs.

After finishing the season 3rd in the Southeast division with a 46-36 record, the Wizards management team is doing some serious brainstorming behind the scenes to figure what direction to go next. The good news is that the Wizards will have plenty of cap space to work with, and as we all know, this off season's free agency pool is absolutely stacked with fantastic talent, and fans can certainly expect the Wizards front office to attempt chasing after all these free agents.

Now on to the bad news, as the team will be losing quite a few valuable contributors to free agency in Nicholas Batum, Al Horford, Greg Monroe, JaVale McGee, and Patrick McCaw. All those guys are expected to be renounced by the management team in an attempt to maximize the team's cap space. Meanwhile Damien Inglis will also be entering unrestricted free agency. From the initial reports within inside sources have stated that the team is wanting to resign Inglis to a long term deal, as they value his defense, and versatility greatly.

This team has improved its regular season win totals for the third year in a row, and they even pushed CSL finalist Miami Heat to 7 games, however, they once again fell short in the first round. The city of Washington is getting frustrated with this franchise's lack of playoffs success, and the pressure for the management team to change this culture is rising by the minute. It will be interesting to see if the team will go all out for proven all stars such as James Harden, Paul George, Richard Solomon, Isaiah Austin, Dante Exum, etc... Or will they go for the younger upside players, and try to do a minor retool.

Anyways, here are some end of the season grades for each of the team's positions:

Point Guard: Milos Teodosic, Shabazz Napier, Austin Rivers
Grade: A

Arguably the strongest position for this Wizards team, as all star game MVP Milos Teodosic was again asked to be the leader of this team, and he did not disappoint. Meanwhile Shabazz Napier did an excellent job running the point guard position when Teodosic is moved to the shooting guard position due to match ups. Mid season Austin Rivers also performed brilliantly for the team. Unfortunately Rivers went down with a season ending injury, and was not able to help the team out during the playoff run. A healthy shooter like Austin Rivers could have perhaps helped the Wizards pull off the upset against Miami Heat.

Shooting Guard: Rawle Alkins, JeQuan Lewis, Patrick McCaw
Grade: C

On paper this position doesn't look that strong, however both Shabazz Napier, and Milos Teodosic were asked to start at shooting guard plenty of times, so it really wasn't a huge issue. Alkins started off the year very hot, but then hit sophomore funk, and was struggling quite often with his shooting. He did contribute well in other areas such as playmaking, and has improved his defensive play. However, the inconsistent offense was rather disappointing. JeQuan Lewis spent a lot of time in the D-league, but has shown some serious flashes of brilliance when given opportunities. The coaching staff is very excited to continue to work with JeQuan, and unlock his untapped potential as a dead off the bench combo guard. McCaw didn't play much, but did an excellent job hand water/Gatorade to the rest of the team.

Small Forward: Nicholas Batum, Damien Inglis, Dillon Brooks
Grade: B+

Batum was a well seasoned veteran that was brought into this roster as a locker room leader, and provide the team with strong defense along with outside shooting. The aging Batum did his job well, as he played some good defense throughout the year, and had some big games shooting the 3 ball. Meanwhile Inglis was being asked to guard the other team's top options throughout the season, as coach Brian Cardinal has used him at SG/SF/PF/C all season long, and he certainly did not disappoint. Brooks spent most of his time to develop his game, and with a strong training camp, many insiders expect him to compete for the start job next season.

Power Forward: Greg Monroe, John Henson, Ivan Rabb,
Grade: A-

Greg Monroe was brought in on day 30 to help Teodosic out on offense, and he did not disappoint. He also provided veteran leadership, and was a consistent double double thread throughout the season. On the other hand John Henson was the team's best rim protector, and was tasked to switch between PF/C position to lockdown the opposite team's scoring big men, and he did just that. Henson also had his most efficient offensive season under coach Cardinal's watch. Meanwhile Ivan Rabb was showing a lot of promises as a 2nd year player, but unfortunately his season was cut short by a devastating torn ACL injury. Rabb has been working hard in his rehab, and the medical staff expects him to be ready next season, and fans can certainly expect to see plenty of Rabb next year.

Center: Al Horford, Ike Anigbogu, JaVale McGee
Grade: B

The team originally had Walter Tavares at the starting center, but then he was traded on day 30 for Al Horford, and Horford did an admirable job for this team. He never complained when he was asked to come off the bench during certain match ups, and he was an immense locker room presence for all the young players on this roster. The former CSL champ was a great mentor for Ike Anigbogu. Meanwhile Anigbogu himself spent a lot of time in the D-league to continue to fine tune his game, and whenever he was given an opportunity, he showed the coaching staff some serious potential. Anigbogu is expected to compete for a starting job next season. McGee did play a lot, but whenever he was called upon on, he did his job well, and that's all you can ask for from your third string center.

Now on to the off-season... Will the Wizards cash in big in this loaded free agency? Or will they strike out on all the marquee free agents, thus leading them to another start of a painful rebuild? Time will tell, but if history has shown us before is that GM Gary Chan is not afraid to make moves, and all Wizards fans can expect plenty of roster movements in this off-season!
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Wizards Season Review

Post by Flaming Homer »

That sounds definitely like a jump in the cold water :-)
With the new PA system anything can happen I guess. In renouncing all of your guys you will be either hit the jackpot, or as you say rebuild with a Milos trade very possible.

But overall the last years team did a good job. You reached the playoffs again and played Miami the best so far. On the other side it was hard to see where more improvement can come from. I understand the free agency approach fully!

Good luck man ... not for Exum though!!! ;-)

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Clear out all the old expiring big contracts you have and retain Inglis. That one trade would still benefit you immensely financially, allowing you to keep Inglis and offer a max whereas without it, you'll be iffy to do both.

Still hilarious to see you have Napier and Rivers who both played for me (and I loved both those dudes - Napier is criminally underrated, and Rivers surprised me with how good he was).

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Another divisional team that literally has always been on the verge of breaking out.

Milos is pretty damn good man! Also thought I saw Henson etc was traded so not sure which direction you're leaning towards.

This is gonna be a very tough division even moreso once again next season.

Good luck!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Big offseason for you. I think this team is slightly better than the 8th seed/record you had, so an added free agent could push you guys towards the top of the East for sure.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, the plan is to make big moves in free agency, and with us being in the playoffs 3 years in a roll, and having improving our record for the last 3 years, PAs should see us as a trending winner.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I'd be making Milos a shooting guard. Handles are suspect for a point guard and he just can't guard drives at the point but has a great shot making him and excellent off guard player with passing skills.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

bt wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 am I'd be making Milos a shooting guard. Handles are suspect for a point guard and he just can't guard drives at the point but has a great shot making him and excellent off guard player with passing skills.
Yeah, we will be playing him a lot at SG, but he will still get some minutes at PG depending on the matchup.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I'd try to clear out max space for two guys.

I know most of the teams will miss out on top FAs, even if they think they have a shot.
But Milos + 2 max room offers would be pretty good selling point.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

My take on your team is you have some good pieces. I think Inglis is undersold and would be a great starting SF on most teams in the league. He's a legitimate 3&D player where this league LOVES them. I also really don't like your front court at all. I don't know if its because of the lack of defense and the drop off that both Al and Greg are about to see, but I would have loved to see you keep Walt and roll out Rabb/Walt again next year.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

emplep7 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:41 pm My take on your team is you have some good pieces. I think Inglis is undersold and would be a great starting SF on most teams in the league. He's a legitimate 3&D player where this league LOVES them. I also really don't like your front court at all. I don't know if its because of the lack of defense and the drop off that both Al and Greg are about to see, but I would have loved to see you keep Walt and roll out Rabb/Walt again next year.
Yeah, I am going to let Al/Monroe walk, and capitalize on the cap space this offseason. Rabb/Anigbogu will be getting lots of playing time next season. And I agree on Inglis, as I feel he's pretty underrated in this league. He's very versatile.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Maybe the team with the highest upside among the lower/mid tier Eastern teams with potentially 2 max slots to pair with Teodosic. The flexibility to surrounded him with high end shooting and defense is intriguing.
Ball is Life.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

blackice wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:27 pm Maybe the team with the highest upside among the lower/mid tier Eastern teams with potentially 2 max slots to pair with Teodosic. The flexibility to surrounded him with high end shooting and defense is intriguing.
Yeah, we are looking to make a splash in the FA. And if we strike out, then we do own our own picks that will allow us to get some good rebuilding blocks, so we do have flexibility.