League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Atlanta Hawks – season review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Atlanta Hawks – season review

Post by Flaming Homer »

For basketball fans in Atlanta it was a good year. Instead of seeing the Hawks going down the drain early in the season and pray for a good draft position, the team played competitive ball and made it after a few years back to the playoffs

In a team statement GM Flaming Homer noted:
“We are very happy with the way the season went. After some major moves last season, the expectations were high and hope was, the Hawks can make it to the playoffs. We started not optimal in the season, but some mid-season adjustments finally had the team playing good and successful basketball. We exceeded our win expectations and were able to get 51 wins and home court advantage for the first playoff round. In round one we were able to fight off a strong veteran team in the Toronto Raptors and proceed to round two. There the team from Miami proofed to be a bit too much this year but we hope we can make some adjustments and be back in the playoffs next year.”

Especially the second half of the season was very successful for the team. A big question mark is how much the easy strength of schedule had to do with it though. A lot of the wins during their 16-game win streak came against teams already out of the playoffs. The next season will show how much substance the team has.

Word around the Hawks is, that the front office doesn’t plan to make big trades and instead is looking for minor additions and internal growth. That would be a first in Flaming Homers regime.

Priority #1 is of course the free agency of star guard Dante Exum. The team will offer him the full max form the get go and if he resigns with the team, the opening roster next season should be looking familiar. If he doesn’t resign … well, then it gets interesting.

With no draft picks this year, the Hawks will focus on free agency and try to fill some holes in their roster. To repeat the success of last season, it will be essential how the young players Young, Vezenkov, Kennard and Yurtseven progress and if they will be able to fill larger roles.

Still, a lot can happen in the CSL, especially around draft time and free agency. Trade talks already are heating up and no one knows what stars will maybe be available in a few weeks from here.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Re: Atlanta Hawks – season review

Post by Stockton12 »

Hawks had a good run at the end I hope you can bring them all back

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, this team had a super hot run at the end of the season, and honestly I think this team will be very good once again. Got to run it back.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Good job on the season. When a rookie gm comes in, you would expect trial and error. You came in and made good moves early, and haven't stopped making them.

The Hawks will continue to get better with added depth and roster restruction.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Run it back seems to be the common thread here and the NBA. I think you still need a few moves if you want to make a strong run at it, but I thought you could have done it this year. Or you can start moving your core before they become 29 years old and are considered too old for most teams to provide value for here.

Either way, Exum should be a Piston.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

The trade happy Homer in me always thinks about trying to cash in and build finally really from scratch.
But this team made me curious to see if there is really some substance here. A few tweaks are needed, have to try with limited assets this season to get something done.

At least for me there is also a live after 29, so that's fine :lol:

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

As others said, run it back with Dante. You guys were legit dangerous down the stretch and made a very nice run. I think a deeper playoff run is in store if you continue to make good trades to get good fits with him. Exum is a top 5 player in the league if you ask me.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

BizGilwalker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:35 pm Exum is a top 5 player in the league if you ask me.
Same here :-)

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

Definitely think you should run it back and add pieces, not tear it down and build from scratch just yet. Was really impressed with how your season played out and definitely think if you bring Exum back and add a little more around him that you'll continue to be a top team in the East.

Can't remember if I voted you for GM of the year or Coach, but regardless you'll (hopefully) get a well deserved award.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

I hope you run it back because I love competiton in the league's toughesr conference! Great job this season. Looking forward to seeing how FA goes for you.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Yeah I'd run it back. Getting that playoff experience as a unit will help you for next year.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Great run man! Great having such competition in this division to really push each other.

Good luck in the offseason!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton |
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I really like your approach. The temptation to start from scratch when you join a league is high. But you didn't, and it has worked pretty well (as you did also in the GAH).

Last time I checked Whiteside was amazing, so I wouldn't move him.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

WillyJakkz wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm Great run man! Great having such competition in this division to really push each other.

Good luck in the offseason!
Man, the division will be fire next year. I expect Orlando and Charlotte much better.

Good luck

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

mgtr81 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:19 pm I really like your approach. The temptation to start from scratch when you join a league is high. But you didn't, and it has worked pretty well (as you did also in the GAH).

Last time I checked Whiteside was amazing, so I wouldn't move him.
In both leagues the situation was just nor right to fully tear it down. Pretty happy I didn't :-)
Hassan didn't have his best year, but he also has to take a step back with our wing oriented play. And I really like what he brings to the table as our free safety.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I think you did a great job mate. I honestly had your pick pegged for lottery but you completely stuffed that for me, lol.

The right move in the off season could easily propel or set this team up for a while.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

What a tough out, I might have lost in the 1st round but it couldn't be helped and we need to make improvements and perhaps we meet again. Exum is a guy you can build around and he is one of the few stars that give it to you on both ends. Perhaps more shooting surrounding him and Jrue/Whiteside are very solid defensive players.
Ball is Life.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Hawks were 28-5 over their last 33 games with a great point differential. That's almost half a season which also included a 15 game win streak. Might not need to change a lot to be honest or teams are sleeping on them for next season.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Yeah and playoff experience matters, so they'll be primed to be even better next year, having gotten that postseason work in

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I hope you are right guys :-)