League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The "I Think We're Due for a Mock Draft" Mock Draft

Write updates about your team or the league here.
emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

The "I Think We're Due for a Mock Draft" Mock Draft

Post by emplep7 »

So I don't typically do these, but with me having three picks this year I've done a lot of scouting (much of which hasn't helped all that much) and feel like I have enough information to provide a Mock Draft for the league. This will be a lotto mock draft only as I had a hard enough time just doing that, but I might extend it after some more scouts. Enjoy and feel free to roast it as I'm sure you all will in the comments!

1. New York Knicks
Player Selected: Jaren Jackson Jr.

My Take: I think he is head and shoulders above the rest of the class and Phil has already made it clear that he's taking him first overall. He is going to be an efficient scorer from multiple levels and will be a great rebounder/defender in the league for years to come. If he gets a +10 boost, he might be taking over the AD "best big in the league" title.

2. New York Knicks
Player Selected: Markelle Fultz

My Take: Phil is playing coy with this pick, but if he screws this up he will set his franchise back as its hard enough and near impossble to get a good PG in any league. Teams that just to get cute pay in the long run and hopefully Phil doesn't try to do that here.

3. Indiana Pacers
Player Selected: Shaquille Harrison

My Take: This is the pick that is already rumored to be going to the Lakers for #6 and Mudiay. With that said, the Lakers desperately need a PG to build around with Bagley and Harrison is the next best one after Fultz. He lacks an outside shot, but makes up for that with his incredible playmaking/handling and his superb defense. He will be a better Elfrid Payton and he has a championship ring leading a Kings team.

4. Milwaukee Bucks
Player Selected: Troy Brown

My Take: While I don't agree with this pick, this is what it sounds like Manu will end up doing come draft time. Brown is an incredibly raw player who has potential to be a very well-rounded player. He can't shoot the three ball well, but he should be able to contribute depending on how his development goes, but he won't be winning rookie of the year with how raw he will come in.

5. Detroit Pistons - from San Antonio
Player Selected: Miles Bridges

My Take: I flip flop on this by the day as I'm down to three players, but today's choice will be Miles Bridges. He is an all-around beast who can score, pass, handle, rebound, block, steal, and defend at an elite rate. His is disciplined and can hit the three. He will be a swiss army knife and once the switch to DDS19 occurs should be able to defend multiple positions and take a big step.

6. Los Angeles Lakers
Player Selected: Elie Okobo

My Take: Again, this is likely heading to the Pacers so with that said I think they go with the Lillard clone in Okobo who will provide excellent scoring for them. He can hit the three ball, score at will, won't turn the ball over and won't hurt you on defense which is all you can ask for from a player like this. I think he will have a very long and successful career and will be a big part of the young Pacers.

7. Boston Celtics
Player Selected: Landry Shamet

My Take: This might seem like an overdraft of a player, but these playoffs have shown that if McLemore goes cold the team has a hard time scoring when zoned. If they have a player like Landry, he will butcher opposing teams zone defense with Ben McL and take the Celtics to the next level. They have so much depth, but need that next piece and if he gets a +10 he will be a Monk/Klay type player which is scary to think about on that team. He won't ever be a star in the league, but any other player picked after this won't even crack 10 mpg on that team.

8. Charlotte Hornets
Player Selected: Michael Porter

My Take: The draft team has crowned him the best player in the draft and his fall from grace will end here. He is so raw, but has the potential to be a one of a kind type player who could excel in the engine switch. He has been compared to KD and I can easily see that if he develops. If he doesn't develop he will be out of the league in 4 seasons.

9. Orlando Magic - from New Orleans
Player Selected: Mikal Bridges

My Take: This team is so talented, but so beatable that its hard to watch. With literally no shooting, the joke around the league is to 9 zone them and its a guaranteed win. Willy needs to address that now if he wants to get back into the playoffs and I'm hoping this draft accomplishes that. Mikal is a stud from three and has been compared to Justin Anderson with his defense, but should provide slightly better outside shooting.

10. Philadelphia 76ers
Player Selected: Dzanan Musa

My Take: Musa has had a hard push lately and he will be a very good player in the league. He can do everything and do it pretty well. He's similar to Bridges, but lacks the strong defensive presence that Miles brings. He should be able to score more than Miles, but will be a multi-position player. He will be a great addition as a forward on the Sixers team in need of stability.

11. Cleveland Cavaliers - from Utah
Player Selected: Kaiser Gates

My Take: Josh is a defense first guy who will stick to that here. Gates is one of the best wing defenders in the draft and will come in day one able to contribute there. His lack of anything resembling an outside shot really hurts his value and will make him drop, but if he had a shot he would be a top 10 lock. With Cleveland rumored to be bringing in another defensive SG veteran, this pick would create a deadly defensive 1-3 pairing.

12. Miami Heat - from Memphis
Player Selected: John Collins

My Take: The Heat are one of the toughest teams to pick for as Silo always goes against the grain. These also could get traded as they are running out of roster spots with all of their young players, but if they keep this getting a defensive stud like Collins would be a steal this late. He would add to an already strong forward rotation and make this team that much scarier.

13. Miami Heat - from Minnesota
Player Selected: Kostas Antetokuompo

My Take: Again, no clue who they are targetting but BPA would suggest Kostas. He will be a very good player in the league who will be a top defender. He will be able to play and defend multiple positions in the league and I could see him being another player who takes advantage of the engine switch.

14. Brooklyn Nets
Player Selected: Collin Sexton

My Take: This team needs a PG so badly and one lands in their lap in Sexton. Hes an all-around solid player who is incredibly good on the defensive end, which will help a team like the Nets. He can't shoot from three, but the good thing about Sexton is he can come in and play significant meetings right away and should supplant a lot of D Los starting minutes since that's not good for anyone.

Again, enjoy the read and slay away below...

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Re: The "I Think We're Due for a Mock Draft" Mock Draft

Post by Silogical »

Order looks about right. You have the 4 rebuilding teams taking the players with star potential Harrison/Porter/Brown/Okobo. The rest of the draft is full of decent role players which are perfect fits for all the already good teams with lottery picks.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Interesting mock, and a lot of the picks make sense, however I think Porter goes to Indy at 6, as he's a potential game changer that the team can develop with.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

I call smoke screen
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Miles Bridges seems interesting, and in terms of floor I feel he's right there with the best prospects in this class. My pick would have been pretty late but I plan on scouting next season and drafting then in a better class. No way Porter drops that far, as his potential ceiling is too interesting to pass up after the obvious top 2, but what do I know. Great article!
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Dennis wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:20 pm I call smoke screen
Hah what am I smoke screening? I'm open about being down to three players (barring something crazy happens and players fall). I have pick 5 and pretty much know 3 of the 4 picks ahead of me so there's little benefit to me smoke screening.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

blackice wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm Miles Bridges seems interesting, and in terms of floor I feel he's right there with the best prospects in this class. My pick would have been pretty late but I plan on scouting next season and drafting then in a better class. No way Porter drops that far, as his potential ceiling is too interesting to pass up after the obvious top 2, but what do I know. Great article!
Miles' floor is nowhere near as good as people say it is. Those who say he has a great floor got the high end on their scouts.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Interesting mock. Inaccurate as hell, but interesting.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Jestor wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:56 pm
blackice wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 pm Miles Bridges seems interesting, and in terms of floor I feel he's right there with the best prospects in this class. My pick would have been pretty late but I plan on scouting next season and drafting then in a better class. No way Porter drops that far, as his potential ceiling is too interesting to pass up after the obvious top 2, but what do I know. Great article!
Miles' floor is nowhere near as good as people say it is. Those who say he has a great floor got the high end on their scouts.
I believe you as I'm just going by what I've read, I didn't scout this year. I'd be pretty surprised if Bridges busts but we'll see.
Ball is Life.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Yes we were due for a mock draft

I agree with the players listed here but feel some are way out of order

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

I actually think it is pretty similar to what I got.
Only Troy Brown at #4 seems to me a heavy reach.

On the other side, I'm glad I didn't pick high the last years. I would have screwed up all of them :-(

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

It's similar to what I have here.

Troy Brown at #4 though, that would be stupid. I have no other word for that, if it happens.
Can he develop to become a real good player? Yes.

How likely is that to happen? I'd say 10% chance. He'll need to develop A LOT to be a contributor, imagine a good starter. That's such a reach.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

ozymandias
Senior Vice President

Post by ozymandias »

I don't think Porter will be available at #8 but I wouldn't have any complaints if that happens.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Knicks won’t screw up this draft thanks for a good mock

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

emplep7 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:28 pm
Dennis wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:20 pm I call smoke screen
Hah what am I smoke screening? I'm open about being down to three players (barring something crazy happens and players fall). I have pick 5 and pretty much know 3 of the 4 picks ahead of me so there's little benefit to me smoke screening.
There is just one prospect that's so totally your type of player. But it would be a reach at 5. Top3 is a lock. Afterwards wild guess.

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

I cannot imagine Porter available at #8 ... I mean, that can only happen if his interviews are a disaster.

I believe Rizzo already commented somewhere some time ago ... the key to this draft is who drafts thinking about next season and DDS3 and who does thinking about long term success and DDS19. Because that will make a big difference. I'm in the second group, which could lead to some big critics after we make our selection.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

mgtr81 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am I cannot imagine Porter available at #8 ... I mean, that can only happen if his interviews are a disaster.

I believe Rizzo already commented somewhere some time ago ... the key to this draft is who drafts thinking about next season and DDS3 and who does thinking about long term success and DDS19. Because that will make a big difference. I'm in the second group, which could lead to some big critics after we make our selection.
What’s the big difference between dds19 and 3 and why would it change people’s behaviour? Can you give us an insight with your dds18 knowledge?

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Dennis wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 am
mgtr81 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:56 am I cannot imagine Porter available at #8 ... I mean, that can only happen if his interviews are a disaster.

What’s the big difference between dds19 and 3 and why would it change people’s behaviour? Can you give us an insight with your dds18 knowledge?
Yes, what we saw in GAH is that point guards who based his productivity on pressure defenses lost some value as drives weren't as frequent. Also, pure big man also lost a bit of value, but that won't affect the CSL because there aren't many of them.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

mgtr81 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

Yes, what we saw in GAH is that point guards who based his productivity on pressure defenses lost some value as drives weren't as frequent. Also, pure big man also lost a bit of value, but that won't affect the CSL because there aren't many of them.
Pure big man you mean bigs like Drummond? Rebounds interior D, no range?

CSL Champions Image 2028

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

Dennis wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:03 am
mgtr81 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

Pure big man you mean bigs like Drummond? Rebounds interior D, no range?
We saw a decrease in post players efficiency with DDS18 engine. For example, Shaq went from well over 50 % to 46 %:

http://gah.keep-at-it.de/Website/490.html

Rebounding was not affected, though. We also saw a weird tendency of making big man shoot from outside regardless of preferences. With Shaq's example again, he had no three-point preference, yet he took some threes after the switch (0.2 per game as opposed to none in his first three seasons).