League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Orlando Sentinel: No "Favors"

Write updates about your team or the league here.
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

The Orlando Sentinel: No "Favors"

Post by WillyJakkz »

The Orlando Magic send PF Noah Vonleh, SG Terrence Ross, and F Thomas Robinson to the Denver Nuggets for C Boban Marjanovic who in turn send PF Noah Vonleh (from DEN) and C Boban Marjanovic (from ORL) to Golden State in exchange for PF Derrick Favors.

There of course were other factors involved as this was part of the bigger trade that sent C Andre Drummond to DEN for SF Josh Jackson as well as veteran C DeAndre Jordan and the DEN 2024 1st RD Pick.

This was the call and the major move made by the Orlando Magic prior to the CSL Trade Deadline.

With both Jordan (out for the remainder of the year), Favors (recovering from a broken wrist), and Orlando already without C Joel Embiid (who was still recovering from a broken foot), the Magic were once again in a tailspin as the season was coming to a close as they scrounged for another late season Playoff push.

With the season on the line, a healthy Favors finally returned to the lineup and has been performing at a very high level.

The soon to be Free Agent shows no signs of slowing down. And at 31 years of age, he very well knows he can't as he seeks what may be his final big payday.
Derrick Favors:
Why would I? I appreciate the trust Orlando has shown in trading for me to be a critical piece to uh, get us over the hump but we all know it's a business as well and I'm gonna continue to go out here and give it my all and I fully expect to be fully compensated for it.... I still feel the same (laughs), you guys act like 31 is too old to be playing sports...
PPG: 13 8 RPG: 10.8 (ORPG: 3.2) BPG: 2.2 SPG: 1.5 FG: .476 FT: .741 Record 5-5 (*9 of 10 game average as html is incorrect vs Toronto)

GM WillyJakkz stated that Orlando will do their best to retain Favors at all costs.

As a vital part of their championship aspirations, Orlando would be foolish to allow him to walk.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: The Orlando Sentinel: No "Favors"

Post by Marcos_Beck »

He good but your core being really young IDK why there was a need to trade two much younger players for him. I don't know how much he'll command on open market but I foresee an overpay here. It's a lose-lose situation IMO with your team having glaring needs on offense, although looking at what you gave up for him you can't let him go for free.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:53 am He good but your core being really young IDK why there was a need to trade two much younger players for him. I don't know how much he'll command on open market but I foresee an overpay here. It's a lose-lose situation IMO with your team having glaring needs on offense, although looking at what you gave up for him you can't let him go for free.
We'll rescind Jordan and have our MLE and Pels draft pick to work with as far as addressing team needs.

I think Favors is superior to Vonleh Boban duo and honestly didn't see any advantage to keeping them over Favors as we still would need shooting despite Vonleh's ability to make 3's.

I'm actually getting over this age thing for particular players, look at how well Blake Horford and more are playing. I've got enough young guys I need experienced players to compete!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

This is going to be another interested off-season for you guys as you will miss the playoffs again. You have a lot of talent on this team, but it doesn't seem to mesh well and you're missing 3 point shooting still desperately to make you less beatable.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

It's going to be interesting to see what are you going to do with Favors this off-season, I am guessing a S&T will be in order.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:44 pm It's going to be interesting to see what are you going to do with Favors this off-season, I am guessing a S&T will be in order.
A S&T would make a lot of sense!

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I agree with Willy when it comes to the age thing. People seriously overrate the age drop-off, and I do think there's something to be said for having veterans on a team. I like Favors more than Vonleh/Boban, but Orlando does have to be careful to not overpay as Favors isn't worth crippling a franchise's books.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Myles wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 am I agree with Willy when it comes to the age thing. People seriously overrate the age drop-off, and I do think there's something to be said for having veterans on a team. I like Favors more than Vonleh/Boban, but Orlando does have to be careful to not overpay as Favors isn't worth crippling a franchise's books.
Look
I have no problem with a player age. Good players can / will produce until 35/36 years at least on a respectable level. What I dislike is the fact that Orlando has no successful history in this league past George’s trade, hasn’t lived up to all expectations, has a lot of holes in their team specially when it comes to awkward fits but still grabs a win-now piece like Favors who literally helps nothing this season and needs a new deal starting at 32 yo. I’m not saying for a moment he won’t produce. I’m saying he isn’t the difference between ring and no ring for a team that still haven’t made postseason with Wiggins there and has a lot of work to do before becoming really relevant again. So the two younger guys while worse players would at least make Orlando deeper, younger, could be considered better assets to transitioning teams due to being easier to move...

I acquired Lillard but because I was / am in playoff hunt and were playing good with great fit around all pieces before those freaking injuries. But if I was struggling to make postseason with lots of question marks around my roster I would have never done it, no matter how good Dame is. He wouldn’t have pushed my team into contender alone. So i’m Using the same logic here!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:01 am
Myles wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:33 am I agree with Willy when it comes to the age thing. People seriously overrate the age drop-off, and I do think there's something to be said for having veterans on a team. I like Favors more than Vonleh/Boban, but Orlando does have to be careful to not overpay as Favors isn't worth crippling a franchise's books.
Look
I have no problem with a player age. Good players can / will produce until 35/36 years at least on a respectable level. What I dislike is the fact that Orlando has no successful history in this league past George’s trade, hasn’t lived up to all expectations, has a lot of holes in their team specially when it comes to awkward fits but still grabs a win-now piece like Favors who literally helps nothing this season and needs a new deal starting at 32 yo. I’m not saying for a moment he won’t produce. I’m saying he isn’t the difference between ring and no ring for a team that still haven’t made postseason with Wiggins there and has a lot of work to do before becoming really relevant again. So the two younger guys while worse players would at least make Orlando deeper, younger, could be considered better assets to transitioning teams due to being easier to move...

I acquired Lillard but because I was / am in playoff hunt and were playing good with great fit around all pieces before those freaking injuries. But if I was struggling to make postseason with lots of question marks around my roster I would have never done it, no matter how good Dame is. He wouldn’t have pushed my team into contender alone. So i’m Using the same logic here!
:lol: Well damn marcos it's called "trying" :lol:

I got Favors to try to make us a legit team, he's better than Vonleh Boban and makes us better moving forward to get us into a place of contention.

Injuries have caused us to fall out of the PO's back to back seasons as we were a lower seeded PO team prior to Embiid going down this AND last season. Drummond was injured when I got him so Yr 1 & Yr 2 (when Drummond was scheduled to return in the 2nd half of the season) was the risk then.

I think I may have been able to remain in the hunt had I kept Vonleh Boban but I also would've had to trade Covington to make salaries work and that clearly wasn't happening. Favors was also injured for 2 more wks when I got him as well.

Also why would I keep the younger guys in Vonleh Boban as possible trade assets only to keep chasing my tail? I'm actually looking to win, not build a collection of players and assets just to continually trade. I think I have some good assets with the MLE coming up and wherever the Pels pick lands to continue to improve. That's 2 assets where I can actually get some 3pt shooting to help us out, that's how I see it at least.

My core of Embiid (25) Jackson (21) Wiggins (26) DePaula (24) Covington (26) is young enough for me, I need some older experienced guys to stabilize the team and Favors fits that mold.

There.... So our case for Favors impending FA is out there for PA's to look into already... Stop tampering.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Flaming Homer wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:40 pm
hardenwithnod wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 2:44 pm It's going to be interesting to see what are you going to do with Favors this off-season, I am guessing a S&T will be in order.
A S&T would make a lot of sense!
I essentially traded my '25 1st Tobias Harris Terrence Ross and expirers for Pöeltl for Vonleh for Boban for Favors, S&T was not the motive behind that move gentlemen :D

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

This offseason will be critical to the health of this organization, I think next season has to be a playoff or bust type effort from a team with high level talent like the Magic have. Willy has done a stellar job in retaining talent and even upgrading, what's necessary now is surrounding DePaula/Jackson/Wiggins/Favors/Embiid with shooting. I would use the NOP pick to draft the best shooter on the board and then use the MLE to add another depth piece. Defensively is where this team is going to be able to compete right away though, just need to be able to fight off 9 zones.
Ball is Life.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

blackice wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:46 pm This offseason will be critical to the health of this organization, I think next season has to be a playoff or bust type effort from a team with high level talent like the Magic have. Willy has done a stellar job in retaining talent and even upgrading, what's necessary now is surrounding DePaula/Jackson/Wiggins/Favors/Embiid with shooting. I would use the NOP pick to draft the best shooter on the board and then use the MLE to add another depth piece. Defensively is where this team is going to be able to compete right away though, just need to be able to fight off 9 zones.
You hit the nail right on the head as I was virtually seeing it the same exact way. Wiggins Embiid will be FA's after next season and the 2.5yrs they've been here we have yet to make the PO's thus far.

And yes we've had injuries (Drummond & Wiggins both were out 300+days & 40+days when we acquired them) and lost PO position (6th seed to no PO's) during their tenure (Embiid 2yrs straight w/ broken foot or ankle @ 55+days then the Favors deal where he was already out 20+days before his return from a broken hand it's still bittersweet.

We need to make the PO's point blank, this offseason is very key. I may have something up my sleeve...

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

WillyJakkz wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:45 pm Also why would I keep the younger guys in Vonleh Boban as possible trade assets only to keep chasing my tail? I'm actually looking to win, not build a collection of players and assets just to continually trade.
This might be my favorite quote on the forum. If only everyone had this mentality.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Not sure favors fits
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Myles wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:22 pm
WillyJakkz wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:45 pm Also why would I keep the younger guys in Vonleh Boban as possible trade assets only to keep chasing my tail? I'm actually looking to win, not build a collection of players and assets just to continually trade.
This might be my favorite quote on the forum. If only everyone had this mentality.
I appreciate that man!
Dennis wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:42 pm Not sure favors fits
Not for a lack of trying but yeah I'm trying to figure it out, hopefully 3pt shooting helps everyone. He's been really really good for us though.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I'm not a big fan of Favors but I do like your core of Embiid, DePaula, Wiggins and Jackson although I'd probably look to move one of Wiggins/Jackson for positional purposes.

Good stuff Willy.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Man, if you can accquire a gunner like Zach Lavine, then I think your team can be very deadly. Sure, Lavine sucks on defense, but you got enough defenders to compensate his blackhole on defense.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Sharkn20
Senior Vice President

Post by Sharkn20 »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:40 pm Man, if you can accquire a gunner like Zach Lavine, then I think your team can be very deadly. Sure, Lavine sucks on defense, but you got enough defenders to compensate his blackhole on defense.
Leave Lavine alone, he is going nowhere! Lol