League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Inside the Clippers: Lots of Losing and a Surprise Lead Contributor

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Inside the Clippers: Lots of Losing and a Surprise Lead Contributor

Post by Dylan »

Clippers 10 Game Review: Losses Piling Up

The Clippers entered the new season hopeful that a new regime would bring about a new culture filled with winning. With 10 games down in the season, and a measly 2-8 record, the winning part has quite come yet. But with a culture building and a roster-in-progress, there are slight glimmers of hope for the future.

A lot of Losing

In the team's first 10 games, 8 of which culminating in losses, they haven't been all that competitive. Losing is one thing, but the Clippers aren't just losing, they're getting destroyed. Losing by an average of nearly 16 points, Dylan hoped the team would be a bit more competitive, even in their losses.

Still trying to figure out a style of play that works for them, the Clippers have struggled hanging onto the ball. Averaging 16 turnovers per game, good for 6th worst in the CSL, the lack of a true, consistent point guard has definitely hurt them. As a result, professional bucket getter James Young has assumed an even larger role in the offense, averaging as many touches per game as starting point guard D'Angelo Russell. The result? Young being top 10 in the CSL in turnovers.

With rumors of a more steady point guard on the way, this problem could be headed for a resolution sooner rather than later. Still, the turnovers are just a representation of the overall state of the Clippers. A ton of holes, and potentially many moves needed to fill them.

A Surprise Lead Contributor

One of the biggest bright spots of the season so far for the Clippers has been 22-year-old big man Ivica Zubac. After starting the first two games of the season, Zubac moved to a bench role in favor of a smaller starting lineup with more shooting. While some players would take it as a demotion, Zubac used it as motivation, and has put in one of the best stretches of his young CSL career to start the year.

In just 26 minutes a game, putting up 15.6 points and 6.8 rebounds with 59% shooting and 17.8 efficiency rating, Zubac has been putting in work with a low usage rate. While the Clippers won see may wins in the Win/Loss column, these are the types of wins the organization hopes to see. Young players who thrive given the opportunity, building value and improving every day.

Foundation Players with Growing Pains

Rashad Vaughn, D'Angelo Russell, and Jordan Mickey can certainly be considered part of the Clippers' core at this point. Vaughn and Russell both 22-years-old and Mickey at 23, all with plenty of CSL experience already under their belts, the team is relying on them to lead them on the court. However, with every moment of excellence so far, there's been a moment of disappointment as well.

Vaughn has been getting his shots up this year, averaging 9 three point attempts a game, but is shooting them at just a 34% clip so far. That's down a full 10% from last season. While an improvement to the mean for Vaughn could be expected, his struggles from deep have definitely contributed to the Clippers struggles thus far.

For Russell, the numbers are better but a position change could be in order. He's been tasked with being the primary ball-handler and really only actual point guard on the roster. Clippers brass reportedly feels he's better off at the 2-guard, but given the state of the roster, that currently isn't an option. As a result, he has just a 1.7 assist to turnover ratio. However, he has been scoring pretty well and shooting around 36% from deep.

Mickey has had flashes of excellence thus far this season, playing the center spot despite standing at just 6'8. Averaging 2.4 blocks per game, to go along with 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds, there's been a lot of good so far form the LSU product. However, likely due to being outmatched at the center position, Mickey has struggled with fouling, average 4.3 per game and fouling out in the team's last two contests.

Veteran Leadership

The Clippers, as of now, are still relying on some CSL veterans for major minutes. With no reason to tank, the likes of Moe Harkless, James Young, Matthew Dellavedova and Alex Len are being relied on for heavy minutes, and as expected, doing their jobs.

Harkless, the subject of heavy trade rumors and on the last year of his contract, has been doing typical Moe Harkless things. Putting up 13/5 with some great defense, he's been contributing despite a trade seeming more likely by the day. Similarly, Dellavedova, who is rumored to be part of a verbal agreement for day 30, has shot well and played terrific defense. Len, acquired via free agency this offseason, has been his usual steady and reliable self. In 22 minutes a game putting up 8 points, 5 rebounds and 1.5 blocks a game.

What's Next

With day 30 nearly upon us for restrictions to be lifted, a flurry moves is expected around the CSL and the Clippers expected to be part of quite a few. Changes are coming and we'll see how the team responds to new pieces, hopefully some that fit better.

It's important to keep ignoring the Win/Loss column and focus on incremental improvements. The loss picks are a sunk cost that cannot be undone, so smart, savvy moves to incrementally improve the roster, as well as individual growth from current rostered players, is the only way out of this mess.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Inside the Clippers: Lots of Losing and a Surprise Lead Contributor

Post by hardenwithnod »

Rough start, I feel you lol, as my team is having a very bad start too. Curious to see what kind of moves will you make on day 30.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I'd say you'll not miss Delly a single bit with Russell playing the 2 and will get a piece with much bigger upside.
Also I know what else is coming and I can say I like it.

Team will be better both offensively and defensively, more well rounded, I like the perimeter rotation a lot, with lots of great scorers, a low usage PG and Harkless sliding back to a more natural SF role, plus the interior with 3 new pieces will look good as well. So good that you might be forced into trading some players, as if I'm not mistaken you're gonna have Zubac, Mickey, Len, and 3 incoming bigs fighting for minutes. I like it so far, keep it up.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I'd package a Young and Delly or Harkless Young and see what type of 20's or aging star I could get to bring some excitement back to the LA market.

Both teams are hurting but the Lakers have a young star on the horizon.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF J Isaac
PF W Kessler | C M Williams

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Moving Young to 6th man was a good move. He plays best there.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

If you had Monroe playing you'd be winning more. I hope you get a good return for him.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I really like Zubac, was sad that I had to trade him but getting Treveon Graham back has been worth it. Zubac is a solid player who can do a little of everything, glad to see him doing well with you.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Good insight into the Clippers land.
I like the day 30 trades and would think that should help the winning record quite a bit.
Actually was surprised about this slow start, I was expecting a few more wins.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Oh yeah, and Zubac looks good over there!