League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Early disappointment

Write updates about your team or the league here.
mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Early disappointment

Post by mgtr81 »

Seven wins in 27 games. Definitely not where the Front Office was expecting to see the Milwaukee Bucks after two months of competition. While hopes were not high at all about the team's chances of making the playoffs, everyone within the organization was expecting a better outcome. Currently 7.5 games behind a playoff spot, only two teams hold a worse record than the Bucks: the San Antonio Spurs and Los Angeles Lakers. There is only one word to describe the Bucks season so far: disappointment.

While it is true that the team's core is very young, the offseason additions of Jonas Valanciunas and Nerlens Noel were supposed to bring the team closer to a post-season appearance. Still, the backcourt rotation was a question mark in all pre-season predictions, and the team has struggled for the most part with turnovers. Lately that issue has been solved but at the cost of defensive toughness. All in all, not looking promising for the team.

Drafting Brandon Ingram with the first overall pick brought the city a sense of excitement. However, as a rookie he needs time to adapt to the pro game. His critics started going early by saying he showed no signs of improvement over training camp, but Ingram was close to a "finished product" when he left college. But playing in the pros is a different story. Truth to be told, his numbers are very solid for a rookie, specially when he is playing in a team with one of the slowest paces in the CSL: 14.0 points, 4.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1.1 blocks and 0.6 steals in 31.4 minutes per contest. It is even more interesting his 43.0 % three-point shooting on 86 attempts (3.3 per game). He does a solid job on defense which should get even better over time, and his contributions in many different areas make him a special player.

The two aforementioned additions are actually playing at the expected level. Valanciunas is leading the team in both scoring with 17.3 points per game and rebounding with 9.4 rebounds, while adding also 1.3 blocks, 1.0 assists and 0.6 steals. As for Noel, despite playing only 28.4 minutes per contest and missing a few games he is posting good numbers: 11.4 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 1.0 assists and 0.6 steals per game.

Regarding the rest of the team, we will extensively talk about Thon Maker next month in a special issue, but it is true that some have not delivered as expected so far. David Stockton, after leaving a very good impression last season, is struggling with his shot and also with turnovers. Reggie Bullock has been a bit up and down and Quincy Acy started the season cold, but he has been playing better lately. And what about first year head coach Chris Duhon?
mgtr81 wrote:We fully support what Chris is doing with the team. While it is true that we were expecting better results, we were also conscious that the team was young with several new players, and that it may take longer than expected. We are patient as we know we are going in the right direction. We took a decision three years ago, we set up a plan and we are following that path. The results will eventually come.
But reality is that the Bucks staff would be better watching college basketball as the team looks to be heading to another high lottery selection. Nevertheless, we all know this team's culture is to fight every game. In fact, the team was able to win three games in a row when Noel came back from injury. Duhon will surely keep tweaking the rotation until he finds a better combination. As for the trade market, knowing the organization it would be rare to see a trade happening any time soon. Teams keep on calling asking about Maker, but he is not going to be moved. If something happens, it will at the trade deadline, not earlier, and the most likely candidates could be Dewayne Dedmon and Bo Barnes, and to a lesser extent James McAdoo. While some may be surprised that the Bucks have not moved a solid defender like McAdoo who barely plays in Milwaukee, the answer is clear: his contract runs out when the Bucks need to sign Maker to a new contract. In other words, keeping McAdoo guarantees financial flexibility for Maker to stay with the team regardless of his demands.

Will we see the Bucks improve this season? That is certainly what the fans want.
ImageImageImageImageImage

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: Early disappointment

Post by WillyJakkz »

Nice read. As for the expectation of being closer to a Playoff team I didn't see that in the cards for you guys.

Maybe a trade would improve the club currently unless you gun for future assets.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Good recap!
I see it like Willy, a jump this year in the playoffs would be the best case scenario. It just takes a little bit more time to grow together with a lot of young player.

Maybe a trade of one of the big man for a starting caliber guard would be helpful.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I'm curious what record you were expecting. For me, I think you guys are around where I thought you'd be. You're much more competitive than last year, so I think you're doing a fine job in Milwaukee. It's not easy trying to build a contender from absolutely nothing, which was the state of Milwaukee just a few years ago. You have some very nice, young building blocks and you've added some solid veteran pieces to help your team compete, which they have for the large part.

If you're disappointed and thought you guys should have more wins, the answer is of course upgrading the back-court to give your team some balance (which you already know). You have a lot of depth in the front-court and redistributing a bit to upgrade the back-court would go a long way. It might not even be a bad idea given that the draft is looking pretty heavily front-court loaded. Although you might have already looked into this and not found anything that interests you.

Anyway, you guys are certainly trending in the right direction, and you'll get there. The hardest part is over, as you'll only keep getting stronger from here on out.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

I wasn't expecting playoffs, with this squad. However, I did expect a few more wins.

But in all honesty, add a top 5 pick, with your core and you will be rolling next year and for years to come.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Yeah, as others have mentioned I don't feel this team was ready to compete for the playoffs spot yet, but the roster has improved some from this past off-season. This will be a long project, so you just have to be patient with it.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I think you need to trade some of your front court players for back court guys, but without a legit starting PG your team is going to go through some bumps in the road.

Lavar Ball
I Can Beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1

Post by Lavar Ball »

the disappointment started after you failed the draft. you had a chance to grab the rookie of the year and you chose a scrub. think hard and long about that as you watch BBB take over the league from the basement.

Lavar Ball
I Can Beat Michael Jordan 1 on 1

Post by Lavar Ball »

emplep7 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:44 pm I think you need to trade some of your front court players for back court guys, but without a legit starting PG your team is going to go through some bumps in the road.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

GreenBear wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:27 am I'm curious what record you were expecting. For me, I think you guys are around where I thought you'd be. You're much more competitive than last year, so I think you're doing a fine job in Milwaukee. It's not easy trying to build a contender from absolutely nothing, which was the state of Milwaukee just a few years ago. You have some very nice, young building blocks and you've added some solid veteran pieces to help your team compete, which they have for the large part.

If you're disappointed and thought you guys should have more wins, the answer is of course upgrading the back-court to give your team some balance (which you already know). You have a lot of depth in the front-court and redistributing a bit to upgrade the back-court would go a long way. It might not even be a bad idea given that the draft is looking pretty heavily front-court loaded. Although you might have already looked into this and not found anything that interests you.

Anyway, you guys are certainly trending in the right direction, and you'll get there. The hardest part is over, as you'll only keep getting stronger from here on out.
I'm with Dougie here. 100% spot on.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Yup, I'll echo the consensus, this is a team still a couple years away from the playoffs. Drafting Ingram was a terrific step towards that goal, it looks like Thon is starting to come into his own (though efficiency is still lacking), and while you added talent in free agency, the pieces don't fit. With no starting PG and no shooters, I wouldn't expect too much more than 7-20 at this point.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I will take it a step further. I never thought this team would surpass 20-25 wins. 25 would have been an amazing team this year. I hate to say it, but I feel the team was mismanaged this offseason. Upgrading talent is one thing, which was done with val and noel, but I feel it was a step back due to the huge contracts in which they received. Their contrast size likely makes trading either of them for an good return let alone just fair value difficult. Imo the money should have been best used to sign guys at the end of fa to players who fell through the cracks and allowed this team to have more assets to trade and actually upgrade what's needed.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done