League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

CSL's Top 100 Players (20-11)

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

CSL's Top 100 Players (20-11)

Post by Marcos_Beck »

The Top 100 CSL Players
Players #20-11

FINALLY
PER MYLES, as I'm not into writing an introduction text today: "Welcome to the eighth article of the ten article series, The CSL's Top 100 players. I spent a good amount of time making this list, taking into account ratings, stats, and how their game fits in the grand scheme of how the game is played today. The list is based on a simple question: If we were playing a game tomorrow, and that's all that matters, what players would we want? I simply care about how this player performs right now, and did not take into account potential or age. I also did not include the rookies, as we hadn't seen their real ratings at the time of compiling this list, and even if we had, ratings do not always play the way we think they will.

Also, since this is a rankings article, I know everyone is going to comment and complain about their players or how could I rank this guy in front of that guy, how dare I do X Y and Z, etc etc. Just remember I did this for fun, and for some positive media throughout the league. Hopefully this will help people keep their mind off of their disappointing start to the season. It's not helping me cope, but maybe it will help you."

That's my last article in these series and I'd like to say it's been a pleasure to write about the Top100 players. Fantastic idea Myles, and thank you for letting me be part of that! Hope you guys are enjoying it as well!
Without delaying it anymore, let's finally move into the top-20!!!!!!!!!

#20. Andrew Wiggins, SF, Charlotte Hornets (Two-way young star)
Andrew Wiggins will give you everything you want from your SF. Points, in bunches, with his 79 SCR rating (22.4 per game this season, at 23 years old). Defense, with fantastic man-to-man instincts and almost 2 steals and 2 blocks per game. Respectable rebounder with 5 boards a game. Good efficiency for a volume scorer, with an average 3 point stroke as well. Basically, there are just two things he can't do right now: take good care of the ball and win games. Still, Wiggins has developed into a bonafide two way star player in this league, and who's to say he can't achieve even more as he gets older and more experienced at CSL basketball?

#19. Stephen Curry, SG, Dallas Mavericks (Literally the best shooter in the league)
Like Myles said: "You know how people use the word "literally" these days but they really aren't speaking literally? Well I'm speaking literally." There are a bunch of great shooters and there might be better 3 point shooters around but none of them make you fear them more than Steph the Chef. 44% from deep for his career at almost 3000 attempts, those numbers shows that man can beat a defense on his own. But what sets him apart from other great shooters is his MEAN jumper. I mean, 54% on 4.5 attempts? That ain't fair. That guy has no offensive weakness, can hold his own defensively and deservedly makes the top-20 list of CSL players, specially after his move from lead guard to playing off the ball, which suits his skillset even more.

#18. Al Horford, C, Chicago Bulls (3rd best big in the league)
Say whatever you want about Horford, you're not going to find many players with a well rounded, efficient, yet silent game like his. Looking at Horford's numbers at his Chicago career (something in the molds of 18.5 / 8.5 / 1.4 at only 29 minutes per game), some might forget the beast that Al was during his Atlanta Hawks' time, consistently averaging 25/10 for them. Key for Chicago's title run last season, he performed the Robin role to perfection next to Derrick Rose's Batman, and it paid off very well for them. Due to his ability to consistently deliver on both ends and with AMAZING efficiency (57% career shooter), Horford gets the nod (and deservedly so) over many flashier names like Dwight Howard and DeMarcus Cousins.

#17. Marcus Smart, SG, Chicago Bulls (Another two-way young star)
Since moving to full time Shooting Guard and losing enough weight to stay in front of his defenders, Mr. Smart has developed into one of the best young players in the league. Currently shooting 52% from the field, Smart is the "overpower" kind of guard, with amazing post game and fearless drives to the rim. He can also defend and put pressure in the ball with the best of them, giving him the two-way star title. Currently averaging 22/4.5/6/1, he gets the nod over Andrew Wiggins because of his all around prowess, being able to contribute to his team on defense, rebounds and, mostly important, creating scoring opportunities for his teammates. 5 years after the draft, it seems like Smart really developed into the better player, and deserved to be the #1 pick. No way to go but higher in this list for this young kid.

#16. Otto Porter, SF, Sacramento Kings (Fantastic defender with enough offense)
Think quickly, what can set apart Otto Porter and fellow great defender Okaro White in these rankings? Both are arguably the best wing defenders in this league, both can rebound pretty well for a Small Forward, both can be counted to score efficiently... All in all, those are two guys with efficient if not flashy games, able to carry their teams towards wins with great defensive effort and correct offensive decisions. Yet, Porter has one key aspect in his game Okaro does not possess: an extremely steady 3 point shot. Currently shooting 42% for his career, Porter is able to play with any kind of player because of his truly all around game, with zero weaknesses, while with Okaro, he needs a supporting cast of great shooters in order to maximize his defensive impact and offensive abilities. I continue to support that White was a little bit too low in these rankings, and believe he'd have to be right next to Mr. Porter, but there's a case to be made for Otto to be ranked higher than the other defensive beast.

#15. Kawhi Leonard, SF, Toronto Raptors (Silent, yet deadly two-way player)
Kawhi is a player I (and probably the whole rest of the league) love. There are no holes in his game, like Porter's, but he can be counted as a first scoring option for his team, like his consistent averages of 20 points per contest shows. He's also one of the best if not the very best rebounder at the SF position (at least in ratings, not in stats because he's playing with Dre Drummond), keeps care of the ball and displays the ability to score from anywhere on the court. Virtually impossible to stop, he'll also lock down his man on defense, becoming a real nightmare of a matchup for whoever is facing him. All of that without needing the ball or turning all the attention towards him, 'cause, after all, he's Kawhi Leonard, the fantastic yet not flashy star.

#14. Kyrie Irving (Offensive superstar)
Funny to have maybe the flashiest scorer in the league listed right next to the most discreet one. Because, yeah, that's what Kyrie is. Extraordinary handles, great shooting prowess, the ability to get to the rim at will and finish in multiple ways once there, he's unstoppable offensively. If he was a little bit more willing distributor, he could be ranked higher here, but he's the kind of scorer that will win you games alone so passing hardly matters for him. What sets him apart of other point gods is his defense, as he's great at ball pressuring but gets consistently burned down at that end of the court when facing the best scoring PGs in this league.

#13. Isaiah Austin, C, Phoenix Suns (7'1 shooting guard)
42% 3pt shooter. 61 passing, 65 ball handling. 58 and 53 rebounding ratings. Looking at those numbers, it's easy to figure out that guy is a Center, right? Wait, Center? Yeah. That's how unique Isaiah Austin's skillset is. Somehow, it works so well that Austin has become Phoenix's second best player. Second option offensively, he can score in every imaginable way even though he's a 7'1 freak of nature. The only thing he can do that resembles a traditional big is to swat shots away with the very best of them. Or at least the half dozen of drivers that manage to get past the defense created by Doug, which is virtually impossible anyway. Austin is in the best situation for him to thrive, and he's taking full advantage of it!

Ladies and gentlemen, or, in this case, gentlemen only.

Finally, we're here. Time to determine who's the best player among last season's best teams. Is it the leader of Choke City? Or the youngest MVP of all time, commander of the Luck City squad?
Scroll down for the answer!

#12. Derrick Rose, PG, Chicago Bulls (Luck City ex-leader)
#11. Eric Bledsoe, PG, Phoenix Suns (Choke City leader)
What would you rather have? Your face in the banner as the champion, a ring next to your name, or to be one spot higher in this ranking?
I'd rather be one spot higher in the CSL top-100 rankings because I know Doug will forever trash talk me for this. LOL :lol:

All in all, Rose is the better offensive player, the player who can create a shot out of nowhere, deadly scorer from the post, on drives and specially with his mid-range game. Factor in his great man-to-man defense and you've got one of the best, steadiest players in CSL's history.
Bledsoe, on the other hand, has the upper hand defensively, both when it comes to guarding his player and generating turnovers. He might not possess the killer instinct that Rose does offensively, but he plays his role to perfection and he's got a key advantage: a great 3 point shot, essential to every CSL player these days. That shot might be what separates them and gives Bledsoe the upper hand, as he's able to fit with virtually any squad while Rose requires the right players around him to be successful.

All in all, two very different players with very similar talent level, but Eric gets the nod over Derrick here. I'll take the ring, you take the better player, Dougie.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Re: CSL's Top 100 Players (20-11)

Post by OneNole »

Good list. Glad to see my player evaluation paid off with Smart over Wiggins while being one of the only ones to think so.

I'd rather have Curry for one season over horford and smart.

Just to show my nonbiased side, i think kawhi Leonard is being underrated some, id much rather have him than LeBron, especially due to weight.

And last but not least, woohoo, top 10 for PorzinGod!
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

OneNole wrote:Good list. Glad to see my player evaluation paid off with Smart over Wiggins while being one of the only ones to think so.

I'd rather have Curry for one season over horford and smart.

Just to show my nonbiased side, i think kawhi Leonard is being underrated some, id much rather have him than LeBron, especially due to weight.

And last but not least, woohoo, top 10 for PorzinGod!
Listen to the podcast, dude :lol:

8time
Senior Vice President

Post by 8time »

Good stuff

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Great write ups Marcos, really setting the bar high for me for my top 10 article coming up. I love every player on this list, so if anyone is trading them... you know where to find me. I'm the guy with a lightly used Miles Plumlee for you.

The toughest thing about this section of the list (and the upcoming top 10) is that all of these players are so good, ranking them is basically just nitpicking their slight flaws. Like I said above, I'd love to have any of the players on this list, as they are all fantastic players who make serious impacts for their team. Austin has become everything I imagined when we created him, and Wiggins has seriously proved me wrong since I elected not to draft him 2nd overall and instead traded down to get more assets and Nik Stauskas.

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Looking forward to seeing the top 10. Kyrie right around where I thought he'd be till we get a better team around him. I'd take Rose over Bledsoe but I'm biased. My two sim championships were with Rose at the helm.
Cleveland Cavaliers

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good list, and good explanation on why they're ranked as such.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I'm obviously biased myself and I'm absolutely going to be a homer here because it's fun :)

...but Bledsoe is better than Rose, and I don't think it's as close to make it a dead heat. While Rose is solid defensively, Bledsoe is on another level. Bledsoe: 83 DEF (+6 compared to Rose), 51 BLK (+10), 82 STL (+29).
Rebounding, again Bledsoe is champion: 54 ORB (+16), DRB 51 (+4)
Playmaking, again Bledsoe: 78 PAS (+6), 74 HDL (+3)
Intangibles go to Rose though: 81 DI (-9 compared to Rose), 58 IQ (-13)
So now it comes down to offense. Is Rose really that much better than Bledsoe in this area to make up for all the other areas? Rose does have a higher scoring rating (78 to 71). He's also better at inside scoring and jumpers, but is severely lacking when it goes to the arc. Rose isn't even average in this area (31.6% in his career), while Bledsoe is elite (41.8% in his career). A guard that can't shoot the 3 limits a team in that the GM MUST put great 3 point shooters at the other 2 guard/wing spots to prevent other teams from zoning. You don't have that problem with Bledsoe. And while Rose does score a few more points in his career (Rose's 22.9 to Bledsoe's 19.7), Bledsoe's 3-point shooting make him much more efficient. Just using this season as an example (because TS% is right in the game and requires no additional work from me): Rose's TS% is 50.6, while Bledsoe's is 58.4. That's not even close. So is it worth that extra couple points from Rose, even though he's much less efficient? There's an argument to be made that Bledsoe's better offensively than Rose (especially when you factor in Bledsoe's playmaking ability), let alone the other areas.

Yes, the Bulls won a championship (don't worry Marcos, I respect the banner), but that's a team effort. And Horford, Jrue Holiday and Lance Stepehenson had just as much to do with that as Rose. As did McCollum (f'ing scrub) :x .

Again, I'm being a complete homer here... but Bledsoe > Rose all day!

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

All that said, I actually think Austin is a bit overrated here at #13. I love him, but I don't think he's a top 20 player.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

GreenBear wrote:All that said, I actually think Austin is a bit overrated here at #13. I love him, but I don't think he's a top 20 player.
I'll trade you my top 10 lbj for your #29 okaro

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

OneNole wrote:
GreenBear wrote:All that said, I actually think Austin is a bit overrated here at #13. I love him, but I don't think he's a top 20 player.
Trade value is a whole nother beast that I'm definitely not tackling. It would look a hell of a lot differently than this top 100 ranking, that's for damn sure

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Myles wrote:
OneNole wrote:
Trade value is a whole nother beast that I'm definitely not tackling. It would look a hell of a lot differently than this top 100 ranking, that's for damn sure
Couldn't agree more. Impossible to rank

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I thought Isaiah Austin was rated too high honestly although his impact is great for his team

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF J Isaac| C M Williams

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Another great job here. Can't wait to see the Top 10 and to be honest, I would be surprised to see LeBron in it with his sharp decline and terrible defense, but he will go down as one of the GOAT in the league regardless and is still putting up good numbers.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Omg, these lists are amazing and the writers are legendary. Can't say enough good things about these guys and how perfect these rankings have all been. That better, Myles :P

I still stand by D Rose being overrated. With Marcos helping here and coming off a title, I figured he was up there but honestly when I saw the picture I said to myself - Rose wasn't ranked yet!?!?
Clown.Show.League

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

GreenBear wrote:I'm obviously biased myself and I'm absolutely going to be a homer here because it's fun :)

...but Bledsoe is better than Rose, and I don't think it's as close to make it a dead heat. While Rose is solid defensively, Bledsoe is on another level. Bledsoe: 83 DEF (+6 compared to Rose), 51 BLK (+10), 82 STL (+29).
Rebounding, again Bledsoe is champion: 54 ORB (+16), DRB 51 (+4)
Playmaking, again Bledsoe: 78 PAS (+6), 74 HDL (+3)
Intangibles go to Rose though: 81 DI (-9 compared to Rose), 58 IQ (-13)
So now it comes down to offense. Is Rose really that much better than Bledsoe in this area to make up for all the other areas? Rose does have a higher scoring rating (78 to 71). He's also better at inside scoring and jumpers, but is severely lacking when it goes to the arc. Rose isn't even average in this area (31.6% in his career), while Bledsoe is elite (41.8% in his career). A guard that can't shoot the 3 limits a team in that the GM MUST put great 3 point shooters at the other 2 guard/wing spots to prevent other teams from zoning. You don't have that problem with Bledsoe. And while Rose does score a few more points in his career (Rose's 22.9 to Bledsoe's 19.7), Bledsoe's 3-point shooting make him much more efficient. Just using this season as an example (because TS% is right in the game and requires no additional work from me): Rose's TS% is 50.6, while Bledsoe's is 58.4. That's not even close. So is it worth that extra couple points from Rose, even though he's much less efficient? There's an argument to be made that Bledsoe's better offensively than Rose (especially when you factor in Bledsoe's playmaking ability), let alone the other areas.

Yes, the Bulls won a championship (don't worry Marcos, I respect the banner), but that's a team effort. And Horford, Jrue Holiday and Lance Stepehenson had just as much to do with that as Rose. As did McCollum (f'ing scrub) :x .

Again, I'm being a complete homer here... but Bledsoe > Rose all day!
I'll be a homer as well and say I'd take Rose over Bledsoe any day!

That killer instinct, to win games by scoring on critical situations, that's key to any championship team. Yours is based on D and I love D as well but I believe you gotta have that ultimate scoring leader.

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

emplep7 wrote:Another great job here. Can't wait to see the Top 10 and to be honest, I would be surprised to see LeBron in it with his sharp decline and terrible defense, but he will go down as one of the GOAT in the league regardless and is still putting up good numbers.
These rankings were done before the ratings were updated, so LeBron had much higher ratings than he does now, and he was coming off a season where he essentially averaged 22/6/4 and 23/7 in the playoffs while shooting 52% from the floor. That's what I judged him off of and that looks like a top 10 player to me

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I'm hoping lebron is just in a slump and not having one of those rare bad seasons similar to how lillard had a rare career great season last year.

8time
Senior Vice President

Post by 8time »

Agreed

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

8time wrote:
Agreed
yup. I'd switch him with Okaro White very easily.