League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

I Love You, Man - The Negotiators

Write updates about your team or the league here.
OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Re: I Love You, Man - The Negotiators

Post by OneNole »

Andrewu91 wrote:
OneNole wrote:My deals never seem to happen quickly. My Paul George trade was over a weeks worth of talks. But I always no my line on a deal and I wont cross it and will walk away and usually 75% of the time the other team will get back to me within a week or two and agree to my terms. But I understand how a lot aren't that patient.

There are a couple though that aim so high in deals it's not only ridiculous but insulting. But some tend to think if they start crazy high and if you meet in the middle it will still be a win for them.
Bingo.

Always aim high in trades. It's like selling a car. You negotiate high then usually meet a little above what you planned on getting for it anyway. In some cases it doesn't work like that for me, but sometimes it does.
It's a horrible way to trade
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

OneNole wrote:
Andrewu91 wrote:
OneNole wrote:My deals never seem to happen quickly. My Paul George trade was over a weeks worth of talks. But I always no my line on a deal and I wont cross it and will walk away and usually 75% of the time the other team will get back to me within a week or two and agree to my terms. But I understand how a lot aren't that patient.

There are a couple though that aim so high in deals it's not only ridiculous but insulting. But some tend to think if they start crazy high and if you meet in the middle it will still be a win for them.
Bingo.

Always aim high in trades. It's like selling a car. You negotiate high then usually meet a little above what you planned on getting for it anyway. In some cases it doesn't work like that for me, but sometimes it does.

No it’s not... that’s how negotiations should go, but the gms that try this misss one key point. Start high but not so high it’s insulting.
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

orangeparka
Senior Vice President

Post by orangeparka »

^ Yeah this.

Obviously you don’t wanna show all your cards and just how much you want the player being discussed, so you leave a little room. But you also don’t want to make some ridiculous offer. It’s just an annoying way to trade.
CHARLOTTE HORNETS
Kris Dunn / Jordan Farmar / Jahii Carson
Bradley Beal / Michael Carter-Williams
Furkan Korkmaz / Rodney Hood / Danny Green
Clint Capela / Noah Vonleh / Brandan Wright / Taj Gibson
Jonas Valanciunas / Jordan Mickey / Robert Upshaw

Legacy (DENVER NUGGETS)
2013/2014: 55-27 (Lost in 2nd Round)
2014/2015: 52-30 (CSL Championship)

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Sure. Whatever you think Brett.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Andrewu91 wrote:
Maybe this is why I usually get more trades done than you. You can learn under my wing anytime son ;)

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

OneNole wrote:
Andrewu91 wrote:
Maybe this is why I usually get more trades done than you. You can learn under my wing anytime son ;)
More trades that ruin your team's future. I mean I can easily do that too ;)

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Sure. Whatever you think Brett.[/quote]
Maybe this is why I usually get more trades done than you. You can learn under my wing anytime son ;)[/quote]
More trades that ruin your team's future. I mean I can easily do that too ;)[/quote]
I think after this season I will have won more games in 2 years than you have in your 5 season csl career

And I could easily rebuild this offseason and still have a better future

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I don't recall our Paul George Dante Exum talks going on for over a week (it may have felt like it).

I know who and/ or what I want in a trade and typically won't stray from it.

Trading George was the hardest but also the easiest significant trade I have probably done.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

OneNole wrote:Sure. Whatever you think Brett.
Maybe this is why I usually get more trades done than you. You can learn under my wing anytime son ;)[/quote]
More trades that ruin your team's future. I mean I can easily do that too ;)[/quote]
I think after this season I will have won more games in 2 years than you have in your 5 season csl career

And I could easily rebuild this offseason and still have a better future[/quote]

And still no csl championship to show for it lol.

But I don't think you can to be honest. Who wants 32-33 year old dinosaurs? Hey, if you can do it I'll give you props though.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Here is a link to an amazing book on negotiation. I’ve read the book and gone through the course.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016F6CJ ... ref=plSrch

Reason I suck here so much is I can’t properly value assets lol
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

hardenwithnod wrote:I'm all of them.
This

Great read Kevin! :-)
Conclusion is: trading is fun

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Let's be honest. When I negotiate with suppliers in real-life it's completely different to here. Even though I can't take neither serious. No matter if you are talking to a GM or a nestle key account manager. Both are dreamers.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Dennis wrote:Let's be honest. When I negotiate with suppliers in real-life it's completely different to here. Even though I can't take neither serious. No matter if you are talking to a GM or a nestle key account manager. Both are dreamers.
Buyers suck!! :)
Dallas Maverick GM

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Dennis wrote:Let's be honest. When I negotiate with suppliers in real-life it's completely different to here. Even though I can't take neither serious. No matter if you are talking to a GM or a nestle key account manager. Both are dreamers.
Remember when Rozier was almost a Celtic? We were so close to completing that deal.. :/

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

The funny thing to me about this forum conversation is that everyone has a different definition of what trade negotiations should look like. I can almost guarantee that if we're all being honest, at least several GMs would have negative things to say about every single GM's trade talk tactics. Everyone has different ideas of what good trade talks look like. The sooner you accept that and just avoid any GMs that regularly annoy you with their tactics, the less frustrated you'll be.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I have very enjoyable trade talks, and long ones too, with GM's that we've come to terms with and with plenty that we haven't but they've always been interesting and enjoyable.

My feeling is if you don't enjoy that side of it, do like Doug said and just avoid those that annoy you or go play the game solo. You can trade as much as you like and don't have to worry about negotiations.

Guess I just assumed that's why we're in sim leagues, to talk and negotiate trades, etc. Else go play the game solo.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Yep even frustrating negotiations are fun. I do dislike crazy bad offers right off the bat but I'll still answer anything. I like explaining my reasons so the other GM doesn't misinterpret my intent. Sometimes an insulting offer is simply different opinions in valuation.
Cleveland Cavaliers

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I've always enjoyed the trade side of basketball, and just about everyone else in this league does too. When you've got 30 guys who are fierce negotiators, the bigger trades can get drawn out, tense, aggravating, nerve-wracking, and then after all that sometimes they fall through. Just makes the ones that go through that much sweeter.

At the end of the day, it's all just friendly (in most cases) competitors having fun.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

I somehow missed all of these comments. . . it's all good intel though. For sure, everyone has a different negotiation style and there is no right or wrong way to go about it. The best way to execute is to understand the other side. Who you're dealing with, what they value and are interested in. A lot of guys could care less about the impact it has on your team but do everything they can to convince you otherwise. That's when I shut down - when the PMs become novels and I hear all about how good it is for me and my team and what I can do with it.

Don't get me wrong, I paint that picture as well but it's generally a summary and to the point.

I've also had some really good discussions about a potential trade but we just couldn't come to terms - it ended amicably and we both understood. This happened recently too.
Clown.Show.League

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Also, Dennis. . . do we work together IRL? lol.
Clown.Show.League