League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

*Special Edition* Thunder Off Season Article

Write updates about your team or the league here.
8timechamp
Senior Vice President

*Special Edition* Thunder Off Season Article

Post by 8timechamp »

In: Stanley Johnson Jr. Nicolas Batum. James Young. Bojan Bogdanovic.
Omer Asik, Pelicans 2020 1st + scrubs

Out: Wesley Saunders, Taj Gibson, Denzel Valentine, DeAndre Bembry, Clippers 2020 1st, Thunder 2019 1st + scrubs

1. Going into this off season, 8time was banking on receiving a top 2 pick(Prozingis, Green). But neither of those situations happened. But not to worry, the Thunder GM was already in talks with Spurs GM for a few months regarding the availability of Stanley Johnson, in case the Thunder would pick outside the top 3.
The worst happened, and the Thunder lost out on two potential busts. So Thunder GM called the Spurs on the PMaphone and they reached a agreement on a trade.

2. After acquiring Stanley Johnson, 8time looked at all the positives and negatives of the trade, and decided it was time to go grab a defender. He pmaphoned the Lakers for Victor Oladipo, but unfortunately Victor had just been traded. So what was next he thought? Well, since he had made a few trades before with Ice, he decided to give him a call, as Clippers were shopping Nicolas Batum. Surprisingly, a deal was not made that day. 5 days later Ice called 8time and gave him two offers. I would tell you those offers, but i honestly forget them. They talked for a bit and an offer of Batum, 1st, for Saunders, and 1st was offered. 8time shut the offer down and said no. Talks were off the table... or so they thought. After eating a delicious cream cheese bagel, 8time came to his senses. He pm'ed Ice and they reached an agreement on a trade.

3. Willy and 8time talk all the time. 8time reached out to Willy and made an offer. Some in season Depth Charts in return for a signature of Rozier, Vonleh, Stanley, and Anderson. Willy just did what he always does and sent 8time a random gif. A few hours later, sig arrived and it was a done deal.

4. After quickly agreeing to a depth chart for signature trade, 8time offered Willy Taj Gibson. Willy laughed. A few days and random pm's later, Willy made an offer for Taj Gibson. 8time quickly shot it down. You have to keep the GM's in suspense. They continued the random pm's(mostly about Walking Dead). A few days later Willy made the offer again, but this time it was better than the last offer. 8time said "Ill get back to you".
The unthinkable happened and a trade for Moe Harkless happened... or so we thought. The deal that never was..(to be continued)

Anyway, back to Gibson. So 8time finally accepted the revised offer and the trade was made. It was hard giving Thunder 19 1st, but getting back Peja and Asik was good enough. If you want Peja Willy, you know how to reach me.

5. With all these moves, the Thunder somehow gained 9.5 million cap space. The target? James Young. The guy is very efficient and would fit nicely with the young Thunder core. The problem? 9.5 million would not get the Thunder James Young. His asking price was 13.2 million for 5 years. So either his price would drop and someone else would snatch him up, or a trade had to be made. Let remind you, its not easy trading with good ole Johnny boy. 8time tried to make a deal with him before, and nothing ever worked. So he sent out a feeler offer. Jon accepted right off the bat. 8time was ready to offer 2nds too, just in case.. The deal was now made!
or so we thought... one day later Atlanta offers James Young 13 million for 5 years. So now it's a battle to see who will win. 8time upped the offer and thankfully James Young joined the better situation.

From starting out from Vasquez, Nick Johnson, MKG, Henson, BIG V, and Milsap to Rozier, Anderson, Batum, Stanley JR, Vonleh, James young, Bojan, Clarkson and 9 picks in the next 3 drafts.

That a decent upgrade in only two seasons. Two seasons from now, its expected that the Thunder will win the CSL Championship and 8time will change his name to 9time.

That's just some insight on the Thunder's off season.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: *Special Edition* Thunder Off Season Article

Post by hardenwithnod »

It will be interesting to see if your youth can develop into the studs that you've envisioned, I think this team will be fun to watch, and see if they will stick together.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Better get a pg bc you still don't have one.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

Want Tyler Ennis?
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

I'm just excited to see what this team is capable of. I'm not expecting playoffs but 30 wins for sure. If I was in the east I'd say 25 wins.

And Ennis is alright. But before I make any moves I want to see what this team can do together.

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

hardenwithnod wrote:It will be interesting to see if your youth can develop into the studs that you've envisioned, I think this team will be fun to watch, and see if they will stick together.
For sure definitely going to be a fun team win or lose haha

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Hahaha :lol: very entertaining read.

Looking forward to seeing your guys play as I think they're pretty good.

(insert random gif)

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Lol

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

At the first glance the starting five you started with looks way stronger than your actual one, however, you definitely acquired depth and Young was a very solid pickup for you guys. I can't remember how Rozier's shooting preferences look like, but I hope you started working on his shot.
He can be a solid PG, but if his shot doesnt get fixed, he will lose you more games than he wins. Rozier, Young, Johnson, Vonleh is a solid core, but it looks like a mixture of 10 different gamestyles and I think that will be your problem.
If you look at strength, they just dont fit together if it comes to deciding which strategy to play.

Rozier can defend but his super inefficient.
Young is efficient but might struggle to stay on the court, on top his defense is mediocre.
Johnson can rebound and score, but has huge problems staying on the court and won't be efficient.
Vonleh has problems to stay on the court but is a solid defender and should be efficient.

It's like you have 4 core guys and all of them have to be played in different strategy set ups. Definitely a lot of work ahead. In a much improved west, I think you will be good for 22 or 23 wins. Not more.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Post by Jestor »

Very weird looking team. Lacks the shooters to be an offensive team, and lacks the defense to be a defensive squad. It's like this screwed up mixture of things that separately can be okay, but taken together is awful, and the kind of thing you chuck in the trash as a bad cooking experiment.

Most of this team needs serious preference work. And the wreckless trading of valuable picks is going to haunt this franchise for years.

This organization won't win a title in two years. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs in two years. 20 wins tops this season.

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

I appreciate the feedback. I may not agree with it all but that's what makes the league fun. Let's get this season started. :)

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

Fun article lol

Experimenting is key this year. New players and the best rotation may not be the most obvious one. Early season may be tough but once you figure it out, wins should come in bunches
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

That's what I'm hoping. Definitely have a lot of talented players, but I need to find the right lineups and experiment with different scenarios.
I finally have a guy who can give me 20+ every single night when he reaches his potential, and I never had that before. So it's something new.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

This squad is still too young to be evaluated properly. It could go either way.
ImageImageImageImageImage

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

This is great, I think much will depends on how Rozier develops but this is a good young team. Kind of a mix of different strengths but I like Vonleh a lot and you have some flexibility moving forward.
Ball is Life.

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Fo sho

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Trust the process. Just dont get fired right before you get a chance to show what you built.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Silogical wrote:Trust the process. Just dont get fired right before you get a chance to show what you built.
:lol:

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

You fired me as your co gm. What you talking about lol

But yeah I don't think they fire gm's here unless they're inactive. Phew I'm safe

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Well champ in 2 years, good luck with that!
My recommendation would be to work heavily on their preferences. It will grab you couple more wins and give your young squad more value for trading
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)