League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Portland's Year in Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Portland's Year in Review

Post by GreenBear »

In his new gig in the Northwest, the longtime Suns’ GM headed into his first full season with a Blazers team that finished 33-49 the season before. Since the Blazers did not own their first this past draft, the team used the season as an opportunity to evaluate the team and see how they measured up with the rest of the league. After an up-and-down season, the Blazers finished with a 45-37 record to qualify for the play-ins in a very deep and competitive Western Conference. After the play-in games, the Blazers settled into the 8th seed and bowed out after a tough-fought series against the top seeded Denver Nuggets in 7 games.

Moves leading up to the ’30-31 season: most of the inherited roster remained intact in a relatively uneventful off-season for the Blazers, as the new GM wanted to take some time to evaluate the roster before constructing a path forward. The one transaction they did make was shipping Hamidou Diallo to Toronto in a move to grab a new starting PG in Markelle Fultz. Trey Murphy was drafted #4 overall last season, but he played sparingly and didn’t have a noticeable impact on the season.

What went well?
- Haliburton. Heading into the season, Hali needed a lot of help. He came into the league as a #4 overall draft pick due to his reputation for strong all-around play and incredible stroke, but he had shown little of that through 2 seasons. His trade value was surprisingly low throughout the league. Though drafted to be a PG, the new Blazers’ regime saw him as a much better fit at the off-guard spot, next to Fultz. Between moving him to SG and some heavy instructions, Haliburton saw his shot emerge in a big way (41% from deep on 6.4 3PA, and 59% from inside the arc on 5.2 attempts). Along with it, he gained a ton of confidence, as he averaged 16 points and 3.7 assists on 63 TS%. Compare that to his averages last year of 7.7 points and 4.0 assists on 55 TS% (despite playing 31 mins/gm). Hali capped off his breakout season by winning the MIP award in a very tight contest with Bruno Fernando of the Grizzlies.
- Shooting. The Blazers finished top 10 in FG% (.457), 3PA (24.3), 3P% (.379), OEFF (106.9), and OEFG% (51.2).
- Offensive Rebounding. On top of shooting really well, they were 5th in the league in OREB% at 29.0%.
- Road Warriors. The Blazers were the only team in the Western Conference to finish with a winning record on the road at 21-20.

What didn’t go well?
- Free Throw Shooting. Although the Blazers were middle of the pack at generating FTs, they finished an abysmal 27th in FT% (.684). Cheick Diallo and Birutis were the biggest culprits by generating over half the team’s FTs but making them at only a 58% clip.
- Turnovers. This was a major headache all season long. They finished 26th in TOs coughed up (14.5) and 23rd in TOs forced (12.6).
- Defending. Finished bottom 10 in FG% against (.458), 3P% against (.378) DEFF (106.0) and DEFG% (49.2). The poor defending basically undid most of the positives their offensive shooting provided.
- Defensive Rebounding. Finished 24th in DR% (72.8). Much like their poor defending, their poor defensive rebounding undid a lot of the positives their offensive rebounding provided.

Offseason moves
- Birutis traded away. There’s a number of things Birutis does really well: interior scoring, rebounding and defending among them. He will undoubtedly be missed, but the team brass didn’t feel like his timeline fit with the rest of the team. The Blazers’ coaches also grew a little frustrated at Birutis’s inconsistent play last year. Birutis’s overall effectiveness should flourish more on a star-studded Wizards team where he won’t have to lead the team every night.
- Dereck Lively addition. Arriving via the Birutis trade via Pick 13, Lively isn’t expected to make much of an impact early in his career, but the team is very high on him long-term. If he develops like they think he can, the Blazers feel like he could become a versatile player that can be used in a number of different lineups depending on the opponent.
- Jessup addition. Also arriving via the Birutis trade, the Blazers think he has plenty of untapped potential ready to be unlocked via coaching and deployment, much like they did with Hali this past season.
- Hoard departure. A source close to the team says there is a verbal in-place for Hoard that will ship him to a contender. Simply put: Hoard found himself the odd man out on a Blazers team that is very deep on the wings.
- Brissett FA signing. With their MLE, the Blazers signed a player that’s all defense, all the time. He’s invisible on offense, but he can block, steal and defend with the best of them. He even does a great job grabbing defensive rebounds against other wings.
- Ike Anigbogu FA signing. With the loss of Birutis, there will be a big need to replace his interior scoring. Enter Ike, a player that struggles on the defensive side of the court but is expected to play a major role in the offense this season.
- Rookie additions. Aside from Lively, the Blazers added 3 other rookies to the squad via the 2nd round or Free Agency (Nembhard, Fitts, and Samar). None are expected to have much impact in the CSL this season, but the Blazers are cautiously optimistic that they can mold one or two of these players into solid role players long-term.

’31-32 season outlook
There are definitely holes on the roster, and the team’s coaching staff will once again be busy experimenting and trying to fix-up various players. But there’s also some intriguing talent in Portland. The season could go a number of different ways, and the front office is taking things a week at a time. Internally, the Blazers feel they may be a season away from really becoming a team to watch, but they are optimistic they can be competitive like they were last season.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: Portland's Year in Review

Post by hardenwithnod »

This team should be very good once again, as the majority of the core is only going to improve after training camp. It will be interesting to see if you can mold Lively into a legit starting center in this league. I fully expect you to get the most out of Jessup, as he's a deadly shooter that will actually let it fly, and it won't surprise me if he has a career year under your watch similar to Haliburton's and Fultz's efficiency breakouts.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

The Fultz move may have gone relatively unnoticed, but it was one of the greatest of last season and certainly a game changer for the Blazers.
ImageImageImageImageImage

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Was very surprised to see you not bring back Biritus, but in the long term it makes sense. I love that you took a season to evaluate the roster instead of the usual coming in to make the roster mine right off the bat and potentially undervaluing someone.
Cleveland Cavaliers

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Take care of my Brisket
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

drumr wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:20 pm Was very surprised to see you not bring back Biritus, but in the long term it makes sense. I love that you took a season to evaluate the roster instead of the usual coming in to make the roster mine right off the bat and potentially undervaluing someone.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to miss his rebounding and defense. Brett can confirm that he was driving me nuts with his inconsistency on offense (especially his TOs), but I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the roster construct of my team. He won't be asked to do quite as much offensively in Washington, which should make him more effective.

That and my team just isn't ready to contend yet.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Andrewu91 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 pm Take care of my Brisket
He'll be well taken care of. I'm looking forward to deploying him in some different lineups.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

mgtr81 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:05 pm The Fultz move may have gone relatively unnoticed, but it was one of the greatest of last season and certainly a game changer for the Blazers.
He exceeded my expectations. He spaces the floor, takes good care of the ball and plays responsible defense. Great PG for me and certainly a big help to us last season.

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

I'd have to bring Lively once again after his TC lol sorry. I was really disappointed on him, thought he is better than this but would be interested to see how he perform first.

I'd expect this team to vie for a Playoff spot still and could surprise even further. Good luck!
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I tried to get Jessup mid season and then again during FA but he had already been traded so I really like the Jessup pickup. With Murphy, Haliburton, Fultz and now Jessup, that's some really nice outside shooting and I've no doubt you'll maximise his talents.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

rh0xxy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:00 pm I'd have to bring Lively once again after his TC lol sorry. I was really disappointed on him, thought he is better than this but would be interested to see how he perform first.

I'd expect this team to vie for a Playoff spot still and could surprise even further. Good luck!
Ha, no worries. I certainly always welcome your opinion, rhox. :)

To me, Lively’s potentials are fine. I scouted him many times. So I knew exactly what I was getting (give or take a few ratings points here and there), which is why the star potential of the player doesn’t matter to me at all. The potentials I had on him didn’t change when he got assigned a star value.
Lively having a poor TC is a completely separate topic and unrelated to his assigned star value. Drafting always carries a risk because of possibly of getting a slow developer. It’s a part of the game (just like the possibility of getting a booster). Lively being raw adds more risk, and it certainly bit me in the ass this time, but that happens sometimes.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

bt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:08 am I tried to get Jessup mid season and then again during FA but he had already been traded so I really like the Jessup pickup. With Murphy, Haliburton, Fultz and now Jessup, that's some really nice outside shooting and I've no doubt you'll maximise his talents.
Yeah, Jessup is not one of my concerns (and I have quite a few haha). His contract will look just fine in a year.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Now that you have your pick I will be curious to see which direction you choose to go this season. I can sde anywhere from 7 to 11th in the west. But could be worth giving Lively (despite no where near being ready) and Murphy plenty of minutes this season.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Knowing you, lottery isn't an option.

Sure this isn't a contending team, but I do see a few upgrades and I like your team as a 8th seed. Not from talent but from coaching.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Amazing job to get this "old" Portland team in shape so quick. I didn't think you would make the playoffs.
Always liked the addition of Fultz, one of those players who are overlooked a lot.

And Hali really found another gear or two, just wow how he woke up.

Will be interesting to see who comes on board for Hoard. But the team looks again like a playoff team and I'm sure you will develop Murphy and Lively the right way. Both players were on my list as well and could have easily ended up on the Hawks team.