League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

The Brian Schmidt Report: "bOReLando" Offseason

Write updates about your team or the league here.
WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

The Brian Schmidt Report: "bOReLando" Offseason

Post by WillyJakkz »

In what was being looked upon by fans as a fantastic opportunity to improve a team that has been at the bottom of the barrel for years nearly ends as it began.

Quietly.
Fans: I don't know what the hell they're doing but the *beep* ain't workin'!
To be clear Orlando did go into the offseason with their targets set on Jayson Tatum who was offered a contract worth $19M+ per season for 4 years with maximum raises.

And crickets.... as Tatum (who eventually went onto be signed and traded from Phoenix to Washington) passed.

"That was huge as we had our hearts set on him and felt we had an excellent shot at getting him to at least take a look at us but it didn't work", said GM WillyJakkz.

What about James Wiseman?

"We saw the offer for a young Center and felt we could at the bare minimum get his attention with a near max offer sheet for him as well", stated the GM.

And then crickets.... Wiseman went onto be signed and traded to the Detroit Pistons.

And then the Magic's sights were set on a backup PG in Collin Sexton whose agent didn't even reply to the offer.

"What can I say, shit happens", said WillyJakkz.

With the failures of the offseason being said let's move on to what did happen.

A New Head Coach

The Orlando Magic decided to move on from Head Coach Nate McMillan for a new voice.

GM WillyJakkz: "It was very apparent the team tuned out Nate by the middle of last season and we weren't able to make a move at that time but we now have a new voice in the lockerroom in Steve Nash.

We believe his success as a high profile PG and player in this League will resonate with the team and provide a more competitive edge to the team."
Head Coach Steve Nash

I'm very excited to be here in a great city with fantastic fans, a GM who has told me he has my full support for a team direction and if that means changes have to occur then we'll have to make those changes.

What'd the fan say? That *beep* ain't workin'?
As the reporters and Nash laughed one thing was apparent, what he said seemed to ring true as GM WillyJakkz stood there stoic, as if to acknowledge the fan was correct.

However when asked about the coaching change and Nash's statement, LaMelo Ball seemed to take a different stance.
LaMelo Ball

Yeah I'm a Nate guy. I liked Nate. I feel maybe being a new guy the new guy should come in and get to know the players or at least speak with us before making any statements about making a change. I don't think that was cool.
When asked about LaMelo Ball's statement GM WillyJakkz stated the following.

"Well LaMelo seems to have been unhappy for quite some time. We passed on Jovic to bring in Mark Williams and traded for Anthony Edwards to let him know we were fully behind his development. We moved on from Ja to continue to show our total commitment to him while bringing in PG's that would be great backups to him while also drafting a young PG in Killian who LaMelo can groom and he still doesn't seem happy.

So with that said let me reiterate, Steve Nash has my full and total support for what he sees fit with the team as he will be coaching the guys."

The Magic also drafted with Pick #8 FSU stud Scottie Barnes who has been compared to CSL star veteran Stanley Johnson Jr. His status with the team remains to be seen as Orlando has shown interest in a Star veteran player in the Western Conference who is on a team that is certainly rebuilding.

They have also internally debated on engaging in talks with the NY Knicks for Luka Doncic again.

The Magic also signed defensive stalwart Royce O'Neal to a one year deal.

Jonathan Isaac in what seemed like months of talks also signed with the Magic.

Trouble brewing or much to do about nothing?

We will have to see how the rest of the offseason and or Training Camp plays out to truly know how things play out.

Go Magic!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Re: The Brian Schmidt Report: "bOReLando" Offseason

Post by rh0xxy »

That's not what i thought about Lamelo, thought for sure is very likeable but his statement shows otherwise lol
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

That starting 4 looks terrific to be honest, a SF with great defense and shooting would make this team look fantastic IMO.
Even though there have been some questionable decisions, Orlando’s rebuild has been good so far. LaMelo, Edwards, Barnes and Williams are extremely talented and players like Sengun and Isaac are good depth.

You still have 6 picks and lots of cap room, go find the SF you need with some of those picks and by the time your big 4 is developed you’ll be a title contender.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I think Ball is overrated and should be traded. Just chalk it up to another interesting offseason for the Magic. Them poor Magic fans. lol.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

We passed on Jovic to bring in Mark Williams
This still hurts
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

cb4raptorscb4 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:59 pm
We passed on Jovic to bring in Mark Williams
This still hurts
no it doesn’t

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Youth tends to lead to inconsistent play, but there’s a whole lot of fun, young talent on your team. I like Barnes, so I thought you did a nice job picking him up in the draft. I’ll be rooting for you guys to turn the corner this year.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Luka would rather sign with the Clippers/Lakers than Orlando lol
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Love the youth hope you use the cap space to do what OKC should have done irl
Cleveland Cavaliers

thecoolestjedi
General Manager

Post by thecoolestjedi »

Hey, I would’ve talked to yoh about Tatum 🤷🏿‍♂️
Phoenix Suns GM
Season recap: 2030-31: 36-46

"Fall Seven Times, Get Up Eight"

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Using cap space to sign away real impact player is a very hard way. It seems most of them intend to stay with their mother teams except they get lowballed hard.
But it is a good way to sign some important role player, at least that was my strategy. Doesn't work out either so far lol

But you have still a very young and talented core. I know the youngster can be frustrating, but they will develop. build on it!