League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Drafted too high or just right?

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Drafted too high or just right?

Post by Andrewu91 »

Drafted at #12, Ben Sheppard was drafted by the Chicago Bulls. His rights were than traded to the New York Knicks. Many gm's were surprised by the pick, thus he was labeled too high of a draft pick by many general managers.

It's very hard to find a talented possible star at draft pick #12, in a superb role player draft. There were at least 20 players that all can contribute, but none that would ever be a star.

With Briskett not coming back to New York, they had a hole to fill on defense, blocks and steals. A potential top 10 defensive/stealing player in the whole league, Ben Sheppard can be that good on defense, locking down your main star or even limiting their offense.

With a backcourt of Winslow, Sheppard and Ferguson, the defense is covered. If one of them fouls out, the next one will be ready to take the reigns of defending the opponents best player.

Ben Sheppard will come in and pressure your best player. He is an older rookie at 22 years old. His whole games revolves around defense and will be one of the top 10 players to do it at an elite level. His work ethic is off the charts. With high IQ and discipline, he will rarely foul out. Ben Sheppard spends hours in the gym trying to improve and will barely complain, which is why coaches love him. He ability to not clash with teammates is another positive aspect of his game, not to mention his low greed.

His offense needs work. He won't ever average more than ten points a game . He can't shoot at all and will need preference work.
He is very good at getting to the rim and dunking the basketball.

He has all the tools to become a well rounded basketball player.

Strengths:
+ Defense
+ Blocks and steals
+ IQ
+ Discipline
+ Consistency

Weaknesses:
+ Not a scorer
+ Needs preference work
+ Can't shoot
+ Already 22 years old

With that in mind, the Knicks hope he can be that "lockdown defensive player" the Knicks need more of.

Edit: posted in wrong section. This is a wiretap haha
Also, his foot is inbounds
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Drafted too high or just right?

Post by Flaming Homer »

If I would have stayed at 15, that was one of my targets. Really nice defensive minded role player. Will not get in the way of your star/s and does his job.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

Realistically, he was probably drafted too high as there were bigger impact players available. Ideally, 15-18 probably would have been the ideal range I am guessing. But for team fit, I wouldn't have risked trading down and losing him so I also probably would have drafted him there.

Time will tell how impactful he becomes. For example he may never become better than Ferguson depending on how he develops. But for reference, I also wanted to trade up to get him. He is a very good complement next to a lead level scorer like a Doncic or Monk.
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

he wouldn't have been on my radar at 17, but he makes a lot of sense if your only goal is maximizing Luka's touches and playing D. Knowing that Atlanta was considering him at 15, and you truly wanted him, then jumping up in the draft to secure your guy is not the wrong move.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Yeah I had a "feeling" so losing #30 and 2nds hurt by moving up, but not that much.

Hopefully he can have a decent TC and I can fix his shot where he will be a better version of Briskett.

Thinking of 5-3-2-1-1 stats in his rookie year with solid defense.

2nd year I'm hoping 8-4-3-1-1

3rd year with endurance boost- 9-5-4-1-1. If he does better than that, I'm not complaining at all
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson