League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Atlanta Hawks – Season review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Atlanta Hawks – Season review

Post by Flaming Homer »

After some early rebuilding years, the Hawks were making some early progress last season. With that in mind our goals were pushed ahead a bit, and we were hoping to play on a 41-win pace and make the playoffs.

Early on it seemed to go this way but, very similar to last season, we struggled late in the season. We could slightly improve our record, getting 1 measly win more than last year, but fell short of the goal to get 41 wins.

We did make the play-ins again, ranking #10. Having to win two games on the road to reach the playoffs seemed like a long shot. Especially with our late season struggles.

With that in mind it was an easy decision to mix around the starting lineup a bit, with the most important move to switch out our guard rotation for the veterans Coby White and Dante Exum. That seemed to help a lot, both started the game steadily and making their experience felt among the team. Even better was that Okoro and Giddey didn’t just pout and sat on the line, no they too were using the advantage to play more time against the opponent’s bench unit and put up some good numbers, Okoro especially looked much better compared to last year’s play-in loss against the Wizards.
Long story short, we were able to win both games in Toronto and Milwaukee to advance to the playoffs.

There we had the pleasure to matchup against the Brooklyn Nets, a team on a mission this season how it looks. That was not much of a series, they took us quickly behind the woodshed and moved on 😊
We had our highlight in game 2, were really everything went our way, and we stole on game on the road. Didn’t shock them much, they got homecourt right back and then never looked back.

Under the line it was another fun season to see the young team grow. We saw quite some big deficits in our defense, and we have a very important off-season ahead of us. Finally equipped with some cap space, we must decide what moves could benefit the team going forward.

Right now everything is on the table. We also have pick 15 in a very deep draft and could decide to switch some core pieces out. I’m very curious how we come out of this off-season.

Go HAWKS!

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Re: Atlanta Hawks – Season review

Post by Andrewu91 »

You can only get better from here. Keep up the good work 💪
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

I too am curious to see what the Hawks do this off-season. One of the teams in the best position to make a deal for the likes of Tatum, Ingram, Ball, etc. if you find something that gets you over the mediocrity hump. Good luck!
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Yeah, I hope we can stay on track.

Indeed a lot of top talent floating around right now. Hopefully we can get some moves done to improve more. Also #15 in this years draft can probably get a player I like.

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Congrats on a wonderful season my friend, looking forward to our future matchups and the maturation of your amazing core. We'll likely run it back with the same roster plus a 1st and I hope given how big dominant this league seems to be that Patton/Young can carry us.

Still, this article isn't about us - great season and many more.
Ball is Life.

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

I would have preferred to see Okoro started for you in the Post Season as it might be more beneficial for the team than having a veteran expiring in Exum imo but regardless it was great job reaching the Playoffs as #10, winning both road games in the Play-in.

Good job on the season and i expect more this upcoming, interested to see what's in store for Off Season but good luck, moving forward.
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Nice to see White shoot more efficiently this year. Looks like he may be finding his way back to the DDS19 days.

It's nice to see the patience in Atlanta though. Okoro has steadily improved each year, and Perry is a walking double double. Giddey is still the biggest question mark and year 3 will be a deciding factor for him I think.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Young teams are going to be inconsistent, but I liked a lot of what the Hawks did this year. Dealt the Nets 50% of their losses in the playoffs!

Very good and very young core just needs a little more time for seasoning. Special things ahead for you guys

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

A very good season given the stage of the rebuild. Some very good core pieces already in place. That pick will get you a solid contributor. At some point some of these young players may have to be traded for the missing piece to take the step to true contender, but so far things are going well. Probably winning a playoff series should be the goal next season.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

Excited to see what the Hawks do next season. Staying strong and steady for the rebuild.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

I'm pretty bullish on this Hawks team next season. They started well this season and then fell away a little but there's a lot of talent here and I think next season is the one they make the push.

Makes the decision for Andre all the more harder I guess if he's thinking along those lines. Lots of rebuilding teams out there with quality talent and with the right moves, could be a big title threat as of next season compared to maybe waiting a couple to get it all right.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I've told you in private when we were chatting but I'll say it here, I believe the hardest step for a rebuilding team is understanding when it's time to go for it versus relying solely on internal improvement. There's a limited amount of years a team can keep it's young core and the ability to remain flexible and continue to add pieces and improve. Once you have to pay your top players, it becomes harder and harder to acquire more talent.

The Hawks are ready for next step IMO.

That's how much I trust this team, and I think they have lots of talent waiting to compete already.

Kudos to you Andre, with great drafting and wise asset management!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Really appreciate all this valued views. I just hope we can keep up with this expectations haha

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

Hawks have plenty of pieces to trade for a #1. But they have a #2 that will be in the trade and that's the issue when trading Okoro. Hawks need to find a way to keep Okoro while find that #1.

Personally, I think patience and I know I keep saying that..... But patience is still key here. Unless you are in position to almost win, and need 1 more piece, I understand. The core stays and add pieces.

Just friendly comment

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:04 am Hawks have plenty of pieces to trade for a #1. But they have a #2 that will be in the trade and that's the issue when trading Okoro. Hawks need to find a way to keep Okoro while find that #1.

Personally, I think patience and I know I keep saying that..... But patience is still key here. Unless you are in position to almost win, and need 1 more piece, I understand. The core stays and add pieces.

Just friendly comment
Marshall is easily going to be at least a #2

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

GreenBear wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:20 am
Andrewu91 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:04 am Hawks have plenty of pieces to trade for a #1. But they have a #2 that will be in the trade and that's the issue when trading Okoro. Hawks need to find a way to keep Okoro while find that #1.

Just friendly comment
Marshall is easily going to be at least a #2
What difference does he make compared to Mathews? I look at ratings and scout some of his ratings and I can't figure why so many people are high on this guy.

I'm sure he will be GOOD but technically speaking, what's the hype here for????

*Casual fan*