League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Toronto Raptors Season Review

Write updates about your team or the league here.
blackice
Chairman of the Board

Toronto Raptors Season Review

Post by blackice »

I wanted to do a quick review of our season and expectations moving forward. This roster is about as stable a core as I've had and that starts with smart moves, but moreso roster stability with the goal of organic growth around a core instead of my usual trading addiction and roster turnover.

That said, I would like to highlight two huge deals that I think benefited both teams. The first was with TheTwoWallaces who in a very strategic move took on a player who had a huge contract in Mario Hezonja but in return got a very valuable 1st from us and are well set for the further with a plethory of picks and have aligned their contracts to set them up to have a huge amount of room.

The second deal was with Greenbear, a former commish who came out of retirement and has Portland excited for what's to come. They turned Fultz in to a 3 point monster and upped his efficiency and got a 1st out of it.

In return we got Hamidou Diallo, a player entering his prime years on a decent contract with a nasty handle and the ability to slash and take advantage of the spacing that Patton and Jones provide. He's also a quality defender and has the ability to play at the 1/2 or even 3 if needed.

So those are the two trades I wanted to highlight and I'm sure looking forward to the future of this franchise. We believe that Silo's pick could potentially be decent without Simmons carrying their franchise but I respect the hell out of their team so who knows. That said I love forward to loading up on picks.... if I don't perform in the playin assuming I make it, will I continue to push for a playoff berth next season and combine the MIN pick for an upgrade and push with a a stronger team next season? Only time will tell. Once my younger guys get a boost in ratings our defense is gonna be really nasty.

We haven't had any offers but we'll see if that changes. The question now is can Little be the first player to spend the rest of his time in Toronto? We see him as a better Cory Joseph who was also a long time Raptor.

In the East, I could see Chicago make a late push and are trying to position our defense to make a push for the playin. Our schedule will be tough with a few tough matchups aheads of us but as long as we defend, and Patton can prove he can carry the offence and P. Young can anchor the defense in in the post, we could be a pesky matchup for any team in this league.

Finally can NAW prove he can space the floor or will Elijah Hughes end up taking his minutes as he's a better defender and more capable in terms of efficiency.

I hope you all enjoy this article and goodluck to everyone. Have fun!
Ball is Life.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Re: Toronto Raptors Season Review

Post by WillyJakkz »

You have a very tough defensive oriented backcourt so they'll always give you a chance to compete.

The Raptors did much better than I thought they would this season great job!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Thanks man, and your team has a bright future as well Willy! Goodluck!
Ball is Life.

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

One thing I love across sim leagues is seeing players stick on a team for long periods of time. I'd love to see Nassir Little stay on the Raptors for the remaining duration of his career. Although he doesn't really have the ratings for it, he's putting up Collin Sexton-type statlines, with elite defense to boot. He could definitely be a supercharged All-Defense Sexton, or a walmart Justice Winslow type of player. Either way, Nassir is an expiring next season, and you could use the opportunity to give him a fairer contract given his production.

Really interesting core group of players you have there, I wonder if any of them can standout enough for you to make a swing-for-the-fences type of trade and obtain a true superstar. Currently you guys stand strong enough to make the playoffs, but not strong enough to make substantial noise. I'd be particularly interested in Herbert Jones, who's an elite wing defender and 3 point shooter, but doesn't do much outside of standing and waiting for open shots. Valuable in his own right, but I wonder if he could be moved for more raw talent, a bigger threat as a scorer/creator or a bigger threat as a defensive playmaker.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

An interesting take, I tend to agree with most of your points. I think the only team with significant caproom that could target him is ORL, so we'll probably have to max him - that said his loyalty rating is high and his motivation is very high and his greed is average so I don't see him leaving. That said I lost Dame Lillard a long time ago when I was with a different team to a team with caproom so I have to manage my finances very prudently now. He is clearly the future of this franchise moving forward and is young enough to lead our eventual rebuild and who knows he could end up developing into a superstar himself given he is only 24. So I disagree that I should target a superstar.

I actually wouldn't move Herb Jones for the very reasons you yourself outlined - he's cheap and provides spacing on a low USG%. No sense in moving him if I am trying to stay under the hardcap. We also have youth at multiple positions who play defense such as Mobley/Hughes and Law could end up being a decent playmaking SF/PF.

The only guy I might move once I have all my picks is Patton if I choose to send him to a contender and he's on a good deal and only 29 years of age.

Although Michael Young is 30, I will prioritize bring him back as he's been so critical to the success of this organization. Will I win a chip over the next 4 years? Probably not. That said I have a 1st this year and a 1st next year and then once I have all my 1st's I could...potentially rebuild. I love the competition, and whether I win or not isn't as relevant. That said I'm competitive and I will put the best team on the court in every matchup and with this defense and an anchor like Patton could prove troublesome for teams. The key to how far is we go is Hamidou Diallo. At 26, if he can prove he's a long term fit then our core is set.

Your take was nuanced though, good feedback. If I were you I wouldn't make a swing for the fences move as Rizzo left a great core, I'm sure you are getting hit with offers so finding someone you trust to run trades through wouldn't hurt. If you want my advice feel free to ask.
Ball is Life.

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

Good luck for the off season

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Stockton12 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:59 am Good luck for the off season
Thank you bud, you too.
Ball is Life.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

After getting 32 wins last year, 38 (39 if you beat the Wiz today) is a strong improvement considering you only made a couple moves, and one of them was just getting rid of a bloated contract. I’m really happy to see the Diallo / Fultz trade working out for both teams. They’re different kinds of guards with different skillsets, and both have fit into their new homes well.

Little is a great core player. He’s an elite defender of course, with rare shot blocking ability for a wing, and he is another guy on your team with excellent handles for his position (which makes him perfect for being the playmaking wing that he is). I can’t believe he’s still only 24.

There are a lot of fun, interesting young teams battling it out in the East play-in this year. Looking forward to seeing how it ends up :)

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

I really appreciate the feedback, I'm trying to limit my trades to only those which really benefit this core long term. Glad to see Fultz is working out for you, you've upped his efficiency and turned him into a monster from 3 averaging 42% from 3 on elite volume from deep range. He fits well with your bigs and provides spacing as well so I agree that the trade worked out. Birutis can run pick and roll/pop with your backcourt and Haliburton is working out well for you.

Goodluck in the West, I'll be following the playoffs closely.
Ball is Life.

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Nice read, mate. Good season so for you, that move to shift Little at the point paid dividends for sure. I can really see your team like mine especially at the backcourt, although not as much in the frontline.

I would suggest to try Diallo at point and Little at SG in some point. It feels like Morant and Mitchell. It might do wonders even more as it gives you more play making stability.

Anyway good luck moving forward, we may be seeing ourselves facing off in the Playin, may the best team win!
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Man this was a very good season IMO, as you guys played very well in a death division. I think using Little as a point forward has been huge for you guys. Hughes is looking like a steal with that boost, and Patton + Young will always be a top big men duo in this league. I am curious to see if you guys will make any other moves to bolster the bench.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Ramcus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:07 am One thing I love across sim leagues is seeing players stick on a team for long periods of time. I'd love to see Nassir Little stay on the Raptors for the remaining duration of his career. Although he doesn't really have the ratings for it, he's putting up Collin Sexton-type statlines, with elite defense to boot. He could definitely be a supercharged All-Defense Sexton, or a walmart Justice Winslow type of player. Either way, Nassir is an expiring next season, and you could use the opportunity to give him a fairer contract given his production.

Really interesting core group of players you have there, I wonder if any of them can standout enough for you to make a swing-for-the-fences type of trade and obtain a true superstar. Currently you guys stand strong enough to make the playoffs, but not strong enough to make substantial noise. I'd be particularly interested in Herbert Jones, who's an elite wing defender and 3 point shooter, but doesn't do much outside of standing and waiting for open shots. Valuable in his own right, but I wonder if he could be moved for more raw talent, a bigger threat as a scorer/creator or a bigger threat as a defensive playmaker.
Actually Little is signed next season and expires the year after next.
Ball is Life.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I wish to see the Raps reseting at some point, but I admire you trying to go for it. It wouldn't be my choice, the team is not really ready for the biggest stages, but well, keep trying man, I have the ultimate respect for you.

BTW Little was a very very nice get. Buying talent for low is very doable this offseason, lots of teams selling talent, if you can bring some more players and do what you did to Little with them, you can improve the teams' ceiling a lot.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Marcos_Beck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:05 pm I wish to see the Raps reseting at some point, but I admire you trying to go for it. It wouldn't be my choice, the team is not really ready for the biggest stages, but well, keep trying man, I have the ultimate respect for you.

BTW Little was a very very nice get. Buying talent for low is very doable this offseason, lots of teams selling talent, if you can bring some more players and do what you did to Little with them, you can improve the teams' ceiling a lot.
Thanks Marcos and I have the ultimate respect for you as well, you’ve won a ring and it’s not an easy thing to do.

I’m gonna run this core back with the addition of my #21 pick and see how it goes. I’ll have my own first in a few years and then the true rebuild begins but we’ll compete with this core and see how things go. Boston is always gonna be a top team and whoever takes over the Nets is gonna be a problem as well. Knicks have Luka, so this division is gonna be tough, even if you rebuild.

Anyway I appreciate the constructive feedback my friend.
Ball is Life.

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Post by Andrewu91 »

blackice wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 pm
Marcos_Beck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:05 pm I wish to see the Raps reseting at some point, but I admire you trying to go for it. It wouldn't be my choice, the team is not really ready for the biggest stages, but well, keep trying man, I have the ultimate respect for you.

Thanks Marcos and I have the ultimate respect for you as well, you’ve won a ring and it’s not an easy thing to do.

I’m gonna run this core back with the addition of my #21 pick and see how it goes. I’ll have my own first in a few years and then the true rebuild begins but we’ll compete with this core and see how things go. Boston is always gonna be a top team and whoever takes over the Nets is gonna be a problem as well. Knicks have Luka, so this division is gonna be tough, even if you rebuild.

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the Raptors, I have no idea what to do. Luck out and get championship piece? Or just keep trying to compete. Saving your pick was very smart! l would keep until draft day and see what offers you get imo.

Good Luck man
Last edited by Andrewu91 on Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

blackice wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:45 pm

Nice to see you’ll keep your future firsts in case it goes wrong. It’s a nice time to buy some quality vets for very cheap, so take advantage of that!
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns