League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Detroit: A New Dawn

Write updates about your team or the league here.
TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Detroit: A New Dawn

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

In the blink of an eye, the Detroit Pistons have undergone one of the more extreme roster overhauls in recent CSL memory. Over the weekend more than half of the roster, including the entire starting 5, was traded in 3 separate deals. Let’s take a closer look at who was involved and what do the trades mean for the future of Detroit Basketball.

OUT
Darius Garland
Frank Nkilitina
Kaiser Gates
Ivan Rabb
Brandon Mccoy
Damian Jones
Stephen Zimmerman
Tyus Battle
CHA ‘31 1st
NOLA ‘32 2nd

IN
Isaiah Cousins
Nassir Little
Justise Winslow
Daniel Hamilton
Jalen Johnson
Isaiah Stewart
Herb Jones
5 first round picks (DET ’30, PHI ’31, NOLA ’32, PHX ’32, UTA ’32)
5 second round picks (PHX ’30, LAL ’31, CHA ’31, DET ’31, PHX ’32)

Darius Garland (foreground) being replaced by new Piston Isaiah Stewart (background)

For many fans in Southeast Michigan, losing the old Pistons core will surely be a tough pill to swallow. The departures of players like 2x CSL-All Defense 1st team Kaiser Gates, All-Star Frank Nkilitina, and former #1 pick Darius Garland mean a lot of fans woke up today with irrelevant jerseys and posters. The true fans will also feel the absence of the engines behind the perennial 50-win roster, such as reliable big men Ivan Rabb, Brandon McCoy, and Damian Jones.

Over the past few years, the Pistons had built a roster that was a lock for regular season success but couldn’t make any ground in the playoffs. So, like that fateful day in November 3, 2008 when Joe Dumars traded Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson, the front office felt like it was time to shake up everything. I guess sometimes you just have to move fast and break things if you want to reach new heights. Or, you know, it’s more fun to rip up everything and start over than it is to inherit a boringly well-constructed team.

But what was it all for? Most exciting for fans (and keyboard GMs) are the prospects and draft picks acquired. A net gain of four 1st round picks and five respectable 2nd round picks means that the Pistons now have the richest room draft war chest in the league with seven first round picks in the next three drafts. Prospects Jalen Johnson, Isaiah Stewart, and Herb Jones could also excite Pistons fans if they reach their potentials and are coached on their ball actions. Isaiah Stewart in particular is already destined to be a fan favorite due to the ready availability of images of him in a Pistons jersey. But don’t sleep on Jalen Johnson, who has the potential to be one of the better stretch fours in the CSL.

But perhaps the most interesting aspect of the Pistons is the short-term roster. This newly assembled roster should serve as a case study for CSL GMs in how to coach a team with unbelievably talented but hard-headed and inefficient wingers. Nassir Little, Justise Winslow, and Daniel Hamilton all possess serious skills, and combined create one of the best rebounding, defending, and foul-drawing wing combos in perhaps CSL history. But to have all three on the court at the same time will be to sacrifice to the gods at the alter of beautiful basketball, for this will be one of the grossest and grittiest basketball squads ever assembled. Paired with the once-tenacious but since tarnished Isaiah Cousins and it will be hard to take your eyes off of this Pistons team.

Little's 36% shooting through 13 games shows that there's work to be done in Detroit.

In two seasons, the Pistons will have a massive influx of new talent via the draft. But in the meantime, new GM TWW will have fun taking on one of the more obscene challenges in recent CSL memory: Turning Nassir Little-Daniel Hamilton-Justise Winslow into a working trio without a legitimate PG or C on the roster. Godspeed Detroit, godspeed.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Krejci | Melton | Campazzo
Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
McDaniels | Martin | Petrusev
Wiseman | Stewart

Andrewu91
CSL Champ 2022

Re: Detroit: A New Dawn

Post by Andrewu91 »

I like it. Took on some bad contracts, but in the end you accomplished what a rebuilding team looks for. Picks, picks and more picks + Jalen Johnson.
CSL Champion 2022 with OKC Thunder

Thunder & Knicks Hall of Fame

Eric Bledsoe - Klay Thompson - Stanley Johnson Jr

Luka Doncic - Zion Williamson

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Damn. That's a huge list of moves.

If you feel like your current core cannot win it all, trading eveything for future picks is probably the way to go indeed.
I don't like absorbing that many bad contracts, that could hurt a lot because you won't be able to add more tradable assets via FA, but in the end, that's also a way of matching salary and it's understandable.

Detroit will now suck for an eternity but in 3-4 seasons should have a good set of young players to develop and a clean financial sheet.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

If Dennis thought the engine already forced everyone to play 60's/70's basketball, wait till you watch a Detroit game. Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, this gonna be some ugly ass ball
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Ramcus
CEO

Post by Ramcus »

nice collection of picks though, love how you flipped the ship overnight.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Wow, one weekend out of town and I can barely follow the player movements ...
But the Detroit overhaul is really incredible ... flipping the roster over in one weekend.

The overall return looks solid, especially the amount of picks should lead to a lot of fun scouting/drafting. Coaching the current roster may be more a headache though ;-)

Good luck Lucas, I know, a full rebuild can be fun!

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Still got some talent in this contracts but they'll be hard to move on and with the team not a contender now and a rebuild planned in coming seasons, going to be a long way back.

But some real interesting moves and you got overs in some deals so to grab all those picks also, hell of a job and it'll be a fun 3-4 seasons in Detroit completing this project.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

rh0xxy
CSL Champ 2025

Post by rh0xxy »

Good overhaul. All i can say is i'm relieved that there won't be a combo of Ntilikina and Gates anymore. That defensive combo was really a headache for the entire league lol

Anyway, good luck with your rebuild. Have fun!
Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart
Starters: Morant-Mitchell-Swanigan-Adebayo-Collins
Bench: Maxey-Sotto-Tsalmpouris-Liddell-Giles-Tucker-Hifi
IR: Phills-Richards-Weber
2W: Houstan-Okeke

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Considering your ask and what you got for Frank N I would've thought you'd have gotten more for him.

Lots of long contracts but you did what you felt you had to do to get the picks for the rebuild.

Good luck, should be a fun experience!

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

WillyJakkz wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:32 am Considering your ask and what you got for Frank N I would've thought you'd have gotten more for him.
Nkilitina was weird. 10+ teams asked about him and seemed super interested but no one was willing to give up anything, maybe because of his player option next season. Amazingly a few GMs even seemed determined to add him for free :lol:
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
Wiseman | Stewart

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

This might be one of the biggest turnaround of a team in 1 day I've ever seen in this league. While those big contracts are rough, you've managed to get some much needed draft picks to kick start your rebuild. You can now make it your own team, and it will be exciting to see if you can fix Little/Hamilton/Winslow offensively.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

It was hard to see the walls ripped down that quickly but I like that you made the team yours now and you have some good pieces to build around in those picks.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Even after tearing down, this team is going to be a tough one to play against because of all the defense these vets play. This team might not score 100... ever , but they'll probably never give up that much if you play your cards right defensively. Added several 1sts, a couple recent lotto picks in Johnson and Herb, and this is looking like a very nice rebuild a couple years down the road.

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

KW wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:18 pm Even after tearing down, this team is going to be a tough one to play against because of all the defense these vets play. This team might not score 100... ever , but they'll probably never give up that much if you play your cards right defensively. Added several 1sts, a couple recent lotto picks in Johnson and Herb, and this is looking like a very nice rebuild a couple years down the road.
I'm very curious to see if with the right strats I can turn every game into a 75-70 duel to the death
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
Wiseman | Stewart

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

TheTwoWallaces wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:30 pm
KW wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:18 pm Even after tearing down, this team is going to be a tough one to play against because of all the defense these vets play. This team might not score 100... ever , but they'll probably never give up that much if you play your cards right defensively. Added several 1sts, a couple recent lotto picks in Johnson and Herb, and this is looking like a very nice rebuild a couple years down the road.
I'm very curious to see if with the right strats I can turn every game into a 75-70 duel to the death
I did something similar post-deadline during our first season in PB19, Monk+all-out defense, interested to see if that is possible in this engine

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Need to run a lineup of Hamilton at PG, Jalen Johnson at SG, Little at SF, Winslow at PF, and Smailagic at C.

I will counter yours with Trae, Crowder, Vrenz, Banton, and McDaniels.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

TheTwoWallaces
CEO

Post by TheTwoWallaces »

hardenwithnod wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:44 pm Need to run a lineup of Hamilton at PG, Jalen Johnson at SG, Little at SF, Winslow at PF, and Smailagic at C.

I will counter yours with Trae, Crowder, Vrenz, Banton, and McDaniels.
Haha Johnson is out injured but I will be playing Little-Hamilton-Winslow together. We very well might shoot 30%.
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Porter | Notice | King
Johnson | Kispert
Wiseman | Stewart

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Huge move but you got picks which is the key ingredient to a rebuild. Nicely done!
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

Overall a very good tear down. I would not enjoy a 3-4 yr rebuild but its the smart thing to do because of the draft.