League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Rockets Trade Karl-Anthony Towns to Orlando

Write updates about your team or the league here.
KW
CSL Champ 2017

Rockets Trade Karl-Anthony Towns to Orlando

Post by KW »

In a trade that has been discussed on and off since last season's trade deadline, long-time Rocket Karl-Anthony Towns was dealt to the Orlando Magic, to be finalized once Orlando has cap space prior to free agency, and may be expanded.

The trade sends Karl-Anthony Towns and Phoenix's 1st round pick next season to the Orlando Magic in exchange for picks #6, #11, #34 in this draft, a future Philly 1st, and Bam Adebayo, as well as a bit of cap relief.

Picks #6 and #11 turned into two small forwards: SF/SG MJ Walker, a very versatile do-it-all wing who is ready to contribute immediately as a scorer, and has the ability to be a quality passer and defender; and SF/PF Jalen Johnson, whose defensive prowess, shooting, and rebounding are big selling points, but doesn't have the same upside as a scorer. The rookies are a big part of the push to get even more shooting and versatility on the Rockets.

Bam Adebayo, while a great rebounder and defender that this team could certainly use at center, is in talks to be moved along for more pieces for the future. But if he is not, the Rockets will happily welcome him to the team and reap the benefits of what he brings to the table.

KAT spent 8 years in Houston and scored over 10,000 points. Under his watch, the Rockets were a playoff team every single season, but due to injuries and other issues, only made it past the 1st round twice, one of those, in 2022-23 when they were a few possessions away from knocking off the Suns to get to the CSL finals. But through it all, KAT was a joy to have and will be missed dearly as the Rockets pivot away from the current core of players in search of a different look.

The 28- going on 29-year-old Towns now becomes the unquestioned leader of Orlando, provided he isn't re-traded. Towns should be counted on for about 25/12 and 2 blocks with the Magic, particularly with young PG LaMelo Ball setting him up. In the time KAT has been a 1st option (such as Monk's first two seasons and whenever he's been injured), the Rockets have been thoroughly impressed and believe he can be the best center in the CSL. It is good to see Orlando making moves to improve, and we'll be rooting for them every step of the way.

Jestor
Chairman of the Board

Re: Rockets Trade Karl-Anthony Towns to Orlando

Post by Jestor »

It’ll be interesting to see how you replace KAT’s scoring. Definitely Monk’s team, now

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Bam, Walker, Johnson for KAT is an easy deal imo. The window around Monk easily extended and it should help distributing the shots to Monk. KAT was great, but you can get so much scoring out of average bigs that it will be easier to replace the post scoring lost with KAT gone than getting such good and mostly efficient roleplayers.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

That’s an excellent haul for KAT.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

Can’t judge this deal bc I don’t know the rookies at all (my fault here, completely)

But I like the fact Houston is FINALLY making moves! Team peaked with KAT - Monk - Winslow and Kyrus knows that. Good that you’re making the moves to re-shape the roster, get younger and more flexible. Even if that’s a step back now, down the road it’s incredibly good for this team.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Kyrus can probably move that Philly 1st back to Marcos for some valuable pieces too, since Marcos wants to rebuild.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Might be just me but I didn't think KAT would/should get a return like that.

That's a big price for an extra 5-8 points a game from your big.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

bt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:56 am Might be just me but I didn't think KAT would/should get a return like that.

That's a big price for an extra 5-8 points a game from your big.
I think he doubles Bam in scoring. Monk's been holding him back unfortunately.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Yeah it's possible I guess but bar Zion, who is a beast inside, I just don't see those 70-75 scoring rated bigs doing much more than 20 a game so to me, that's a big price for an extra 5-8 points but we'll see.

Hopefully I'm wrong for the Magic's sake. Bit of a weird move regardless taking on a max contract 29 year old when the perfect rebuild was playing out in front of their eyes.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

KAT actually started this past season around 23-25ppg but my perimeter options were struggling too much, so I dialed back the post touches in order to get Monk going.

I don't see that same issue happening with LaMelo whose biggest asset is his passing ability.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Wow, it's going to be weird not facing KAT in a Rockets uniform. Hard to judge the deal now, but we'll see how the Rockets perform next season. I expect KAT to light it up.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I think Orlando did very well last year with their draft - but this is a step back to me. Like you could have had Walker and Johnson who are studs and aligned with your timeline and you continue to develop your core. But now you get KAT - sure, he is an amazing player but how many wins will he add?

Hands down easy trade for Houston and they got themselves an amazing return.
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Great read and trade, I think this is a first for us since the oCSL days!

And yeah so used to KAT in HOU it's gonna be weird.

Considering irl I've been in the ER and had health concern I'm not concerned about "my window" in a game which takes 6 real life months of my team growing then hoping to draft another young player to grow with the team now we're at a real life yr lol of my team being horrible which has been this way for the past 3-4 real life yrs lol no thx.

Depending on other moves he and Ja or Ball along with Kuminga should make a pretty cool core.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF J Isaac| C M Williams

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

WillyJakkz wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:49 pm Great read and trade, I think this is a first for us since the oCSL days!

And yeah so used to KAT in HOU it's gonna be weird.

Considering irl I've been in the ER and had health concern I'm not concerned about "my window" in a game which takes 6 real life months of my team growing then hoping to draft another young player to grow with the team now we're at a real life yr lol of my team being horrible which has been this way for the past 3-4 real life yrs lol no thx.

Depending on other moves he and Ja or Ball along with Kuminga should make a pretty cool core.
it might actually go all the way back to our RealGM trade games days lol

Hope you're doing well now!

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

andrei wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:58 pm I think Orlando did very well last year with their draft - but this is a step back to me. Like you could have had Walker and Johnson who are studs and aligned with your timeline and you continue to develop your core. But now you get KAT - sure, he is an amazing player but how many wins will he add?

Hands down easy trade for Houston and they got themselves an amazing return.
this ..orlando should have kept rebuilding ..shows u willy has no idea ..imagine the team he could of had by now if he stuck it out and not traded his picks

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Really like the move for Houston which is bad for us as they get younger and stay relevant.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye