League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Porzingis Era Ends in Utah

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Porzingis Era Ends in Utah

Post by Ocons »

JAZZ END PORZINGIS ERA WITH SWAP FOR TANTALIZING TRIO
Donovan Mitchell and Joel Embid will look to catapult the Utah Jazz into that escaping upper echelon in the West.

The Athletic –
There have been rumblings that, despite a hot start out of the gate, Utah was looking to shake things up and move on from their superstar big man Kristaps Porzingis. In the late hours of the evening it has been made official – the era of the Lithuanian Unicorn in a Jazz uniform has ended.

“This was a difficult but easy decision for the organization,” added a source close to the front office. “Ocons was growing tired and complacent with the make-up of the team and was quite unhappy with the impact Porzingis was having, or not having, in the new system. Not everything shows up on paper, of course, but it was clear he was not the same player. With that, the team opened up the phones and it got pretty serious with Orlando pretty quickly.”

As with any other trade negotiation with the Utah front office, nothing was specifically targeted when looking to move Kristaps. Traditionally, the team does not have the patience to rebuild and start from scratch with picks and young prospects – some sort of middle ground was the ideal space. In Orlando, they were able to find a top big man, a dynamic young wing and another up and coming strong floor general in Joel Embid, Donovan Mitchell and Devonte Graham.

There’s no secret that Embid is a strong post presence that will help Utah avoid skipping a beat. Mitchell, the true target of the move, is on the verge of a breakout on both ends of the floor. Needing a point guard made the emergence of Graham all that much more appealing as well. Between the three, Utah will be adding 50 points, 20 rebounds, 10 assists and a handful of blocks and steals immediately into the starting lineup.

“Naturally, the numbers from Orlando are not going to translate exactly to their new team. Different philosophies and surrounding players will impact that. However, Utah can now say they have one of the deepest lineups in the league. Porzingis is irreplaceable but Embid will no doubt hold his own in his stead.”

Alongside the new trio, Utah will have Daniel Hamilton and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist rounding out the starting lineup and push two very capable starters in Hamidou Diallo and Josh Jackson to light a spark off the bench. Combine that with Georgios Papagiannis, Joe Jackson and Dario Saric. . . there’s a first and second team that can compete with anyone on any given night out.

Could they have gotten more, possibly? Was far worse offered, yes. Does Utah give any fucks, no
Clown.Show.League

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Re: Porzingis Era Ends in Utah

Post by Rizzo »

While Porzingis is clearly talented, I think you got a solid return for him. Usually when giving up the best player in the deal, the package isn't always worth the star. That definitely doesn't seem to be the case with this trade.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

I thought you got a really strong return for him. Way more than I offered so that's why you just ignored my PM. Thanks Kevin!

Joking aside, I think this was a great value move and will help you move in the right direction in the post KP era. My only gripe is you traded the best player to come from the best university the land has to offer in Tacko Fall.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Shit, did you PM me? Willy wasn't joking, we had maybe 250 messages back and forth on this. No doubt some slipped through. But yeah, you're offer was probably shit. LOL

No lie, though, Tacko was a tough one for me to let go. Feel like he can put up some key big man numbers but probably not consistently.

Edit: I did see that on the fly, now that I look back. Wasn't worth a response, hahahaha (I forgot about it actually). Sorry.
Clown.Show.League

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

I like the return for Utah, but probably because I'm a fan of Graham. It's also a good plan for the Magic to switch things up though, as that team wasn't really going anywhere even with the recent addition of youth.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Yeah, Graham was a key for me. Maybe he is playing well above his ratings but I like whar I've seen so far.

I think it was a fair and right move for both of us considering where we're at.
Clown.Show.League

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

The Magic havnt won anything for years and you decide to copy their team. Maybe old orlando is a playoff team in the west but i doubt it.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Ha, trust me. . . that came across my mind. They've never had the supporting cast that we have here. Totally different.

Valid point though.
Clown.Show.League

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

Silogical wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm The Magic havnt won anything for years and you decide to copy their team. Maybe old orlando is a playoff team in the west but i doubt it.
Jackson is performing better in Utah.... maybe its the cold air altitude?
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Honestly value wise that's a good return for Porzingis, as he just doesn't seem to be as dominant as he was in the old engine.

I expect you will make a few more moves to make a more balanced roster.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah I think this is good value for KP, but I also think KP can become a dominant big man again with the right team built around him. Time will tell how this works out for both teams, but Utah has a lot of depth right now.

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

A good package of young player, nothing to complain about.
Mitchell always reminded me of Exum's CSL skill set, so obviously I'm always interested in him and it will be very interesting to see if the players involved will look much different in other systems.
KP can hopefully be the man again in Orlando too.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

This deal was fantastic for you and I'm excited to see them play.

I think you now have the pieces to move into a very serious championship team now because you figured out how to make Jackson perform whereas I couldn't get him to stop shooting so much.

Embiid is going to be the key as I feel he was sabotaged way back when lakeshow I think tanked and won the draft. He could be so dominant but it was his inconsistency that puzzled me but I think I know why. Good luck.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Thanks man. I don't think I did anything with Jackson, really. Every player in this system needs some instruction but is also highly dependent on their surroundings.

Hoping for the best and excited to see what KP does with you guys out East!
Clown.Show.League

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great read, you know I'm a huge fan of Hamilton and MKG was our best defender last year. Anyway, I think both you and Willy did well in the KP deal. I'm really curious to see how Mitchell develops and Embiid is a good replacement for KP upfront. Should be a fun and interesting season for you guys.
Ball is Life.