League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

5 Quick Thoughts

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Ramcus
CEO

5 Quick Thoughts

Post by Ramcus »

Now that we're approximately a quarter of the way through the season, I wanted to take a look at 5 interesting thoughts.
Thought #1. Luka Doncic is an All-CSL level rookie. At only 19, Doncic is redefining what it means to be a rookie. Doncic is averaging 25.3 Points, 4.1 Assists, and 3.8 Rebounds on only 27.2 Minutes per game. He is arguably the sole reason why the Mavericks are in the playoff hunt this season. The man is a machine. 20 games into the season, and he's the frontrunner for ROTY. He leads all rookies in Points-per-game, he's 2nd in Assist-per-game, and 1st for all rookie guard in Rebounds-per-game. There's no competition.

Thought #2. George DePaula has become an All-Star. DePaula has had a rocky career, as the 3rd overall pick back in 2016, DePaula's sorta floated around in limbo for the last few seasons. He's bounced around, serving as a starting point guard for 5 different teams, but now, at age 26, he's hit a new gear. Last season, he averaged 14.2 PPG | 5.4 APG | 3.9 RPG, on solid efficiency. But this season, he's been absolutely insane, doubling his assists per game to 11.1 APG. The efficiency has dipped for sure, but DePaula is no longer just a good role player, but now an All Star level point guard. Unfortunately he broke his leg a while ago, and will be out for over 2 months, thus probably missing the All-Star qualifications. Regardless, he's been fantastic in his 14 games so far, and we hope to see him bounce back well after his injury.
Thought #3. The Charlotte Hornets are changing the definition of 3 point bombings. At a wild 31 3-point attempts per game, they lead the league in both 3 point shots made per game and 3 point shots attempted per game, at a startling 42.6% efficiency. All the credit goes to Dejan and his forward-thinking roster construction. He's paired superstar Trae Young with Kris Dunn, and the 2 of them combine for 17 of the team's 31 3-point-attempts per game. Their recent extension of Furkan Korkmaz has already proved to be a massive bargin, as he is leading their bench unit at 16 points-per-game, while only earning 8mil for the season. This team is no longer seasons away of making a strong playoff push, they're here and they're ready.
Thought #4. Markkanen was an all-star game starter last season, but this season he's made a shout for All-CSL 1st team. I'll admit, I'm incredibly biased. But Markkanen's lead this team to unexpected heights, and heading forward he'll need to continue what he's been doing so far. At the moment, he's averaging 24.8 points-per-game and 9.9 rebounds-per-game on incredible efficiency. He's been a machine thus far, leading this team on the offensive end. (this would've been about MVP instead of All-CSL 1st Team, but he's calmed down after his first 10~ games)

Thought #5. The Indiana Pacers are for real. With the new engine change, nobody expected the Pacers to go nuclear this season. Although the preseason standings said one thing, nobody was entirely sure what to expect. Lo-and-behold, the Pacers have come alive this season. Recent GM signing TheTwoWallaces has made extremely savvy moves, pushing this team's timeline from lottery team to playoff contender. Led by surprise scorer Ojeleye and not-so-surprise scorer MPJ, they've really cemented their place as a playoff team. This is a team that meshes well talent wise, as their roster compliments their primary scorers.

All credit goes to the wonderful youtube channel of Thinking Basketball. They do fantastic work, doing analysis on the NBA in a higher quality than a lot of other youtubers.
Last edited by Ramcus on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stay Me7o Image
NOLA 2022-2030: 292-364
BRK 2030-2031: Interim GM/Coach | CSL Champion
LAC 2031-present

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Re: 1, 2 Quick Punches

Post by Dennis »

#1 Doncic is a top 3 player - potentially the best in the league - I would ahve drafted him over zion tbh

#2 passing PGs came back to life and GDP is the second best in the league. No allstar but very close to it. He definitely made a jump from ~top150 into the top50 in the switch. Which I like as I love to see his game working better in 19.

#3 huge Furkan fan and those 3pt assassins are deadly. They are missing defense imo. But as soon as they have that, they will be a top2 team in the east.

#4 Mark is huge, I would love to see him utilize his range more often though. He's dirk 2.0 but plays like Shaquille.

#5 Pacers capitalized on the switch, no doubt. From bottom 5 to best team in the league in one switch is awesome. Given it's not related to trades, it just looks like the pacers team/skillsets work better in 19.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Doncic is a beast. I remember seeing his stats in preseason and how he was scoring despite somewhat limited minutes. The Mavs definitely have their franchise player moving forward.

Indiana is no surprise after the preseason as they've continued their progression, and Markannen is beasting!
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah, Luka is literally built for this engine it seems and will probably rival Simmons as the best player in the league for the next 8-10 seasons which is great for the Mavs! Zion still looks like a stud, but Luka is the runaway favorite for ROY so far. The Pacers are defnitely legit and maybe Lucas was three steps ahead with his roster construction and its paying dividends right now. I personally love all of the competition in the Central division right now as its going to be a dog fight to the finish.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Good little recap of interesting things that are going on in the league. Luka might be the having the best rookie season we have ever seen in this league, and when he gets his energy boost, he's going to be a terror for years to come.

Lauri is carrying the Pelicans right now and while I figured he will do well in the engine change, I certainly did not see this dominance at all.

Pacers are well built for the new engine, and I am glad to see so many new teams have emerged.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

It's pretty cool to see the normal narratives have completely flipped and now we're talking about these other teams and how good they're going.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

Some good stories from around the league!!

1. Man Luka is indeed killing it. Even as a rookie he sets himself apart from the rest. Not sure if Zion could battle him for ROY if he would get coached. Definitely something I would love to see.

2. GDP is really a very positive surprise for us. I was hoping he can finally play up to his ratings after the switch, but I was not expecting this kind of a change. In preseason he was even better (he was much more efficient), so I hope when he returns from his injury it evens out a bit.

3. I thought Charlotte was already last season a team well built and ready to content. Didn't see this kind of 3pt shooting tho. I mean with Young you will shoot for sure plenty, but it seems the whole rest of the team follows suit.

4. Markkanen proved himself of a worthy franchise player. Not because of his offense, it was always visible that he has the knack to score. But he is not a liability on defense and helps the team win. Just my personal opinion, but if a player is not able to play at least decent D, its not a franchise player for me. Markkanen is proving he belongs and he still has some room to grow.

5. The Pacers are really a big surprise. I liked Lucas deals for younger talent over the past year, but thought it will another 1-2 season's to get together. Looks like the chemistry is there and the preseason was no fluke. Well done!

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

This was a great read, I hope we see more media articles as it's slowed down some. Curious to see how Luka/Zion develop and the other 4 points are well made. I think with the addition of Cousins/Durant that NOP could do some real damage moving forward.
Ball is Life.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

blackice wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:06 pm This was a great read, I hope we see more media articles as it's slowed down some. Curious to see how Luka/Zion develop and the other 4 points are well made. I think with the addition of Cousins/Durant that NOP could do some real damage moving forward.
The articles will start flowing out once the rookie scouting starts up.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Yeah agreed these are some fantastic storylines

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF S Barnes| C M Williams