League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Clippers 2024-25 Season Preview

Write updates about your team or the league here.
Dylan
Senior Vice President

Clippers 2024-25 Season Preview

Post by Dylan »

It's all about Rui in Clippers Land this season.

Another off-season, another roster makeover from the Los Angeles Clippers. GM Dylan made a promise that he wouldn't stop the moves until he had a core/roster in place that he felt was championship-worthy, and he seems to be holding himself to that. After sending out a lot of the roster, including Dzanan Musa who had figured to be a part of the future, a lot of uncertainty and questions surround the Clippers this upcoming season.

To begin analyzing what the Clippers have done and their prospects for this upcoming season, let's first look at who exactly went and who was brought in.

Out:Jordan Adams, Clint Capela, Tacko Fall, Damien Inglis, Ogjnen Jaramaz, Dzanan Musa, Tyrone Wallace

In: Rui Hachimura, Jrue Holiday, Demetrius Jackson, Luke Kennard, Kevon Looney, Brandon McCoy, Jerome Robinson, Dion Waiters

A lot of movement here, so let's do some quick takeaways. Moving on from Adams, Capela and Inglis is getting out of some long term contracts who were never going to put the Clippers overboard, and swapping them out for guys on expiring or 1+1 contracts like Holiday, Looney and Waiters. The goal is here theoretically to flip the veterans for some sort of future assets, and potentially even keep Looney around long-term given he's just 24.

Next, the Clippers brought in Luke Kennard and Brandon McCoy in the same deal, letting go of the previous year's 3rd overall pick Dzanan Musa. Some hated it and some loved it, but the Clippers feel good about the decision they made. Musa is young and talented but has key weaknesses in two main spots of importance: defense and shooting. Musa may put up some numbers, and if he's going to workout anywhere it very well may be Sacramento, but the Clippers felt long-term Musa wouldn't have been a piece that fit easily and contributed to a title. Meanwhile, Luke Kennard was the main prize, as a very good outside shooter who can hold his own defensively. They feel with the switch to DDS:PB19, that's the type of player who will be coveted and greatly increase in value. Additionally, Brandon McCoy is a solid young big who can play a potential 3rd big role, and acquired 4 second-round picks.

Last, and most importantly, the draft. The Clippers held the fourth overall pick in a draft that had three elite players but still found themselves a potential huge difference-maker. Rui Hachimura is a versatile wing/big defender with the potential to be one of the very best defenders the CSL has ever seen. With a solid first training camp (+41 total), Hachimura looks to already be a very good defender (79 def, 73 stl, 68 blk), with still plenty of room to grow. He has significant limitations offensively, but the defensive versatility he possesses, he could potentially matchup anywhere from 2-5 and be a real difference-maker. Additionally, the Clippers traded in and drafted guard Jerome Robinson in the mid-second round, who has a solid outside shot and could potentially see time as a bench shooter.

Season Outlook:

The season outlook for the Clippers isn't pretty but is once again by design. Owning their own first-round pick this year, the Clippers season is all about being in a good position to draft whatever potential difference-maker in the upper lottery. There will still be a lot to take away from this season though, including the moving of veterans for future assets, as well as the development of Hachimura, Kennard, McCoy, Robinson, and others.

Potential Starting Lineup: Austin Rivers, Dion Waiters, Luke Kennard, Rui Hachimura, Kevon Looney

Predicted Record: 20-62

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Re: Clippers 2024-25 Season Preview

Post by Flaming Homer »

The big task for the Clippers is to find this franchise player to put beside Rui. You own your 1st, that is probably the best bet.

I really hope Kennard and Looney play well for you. I like both and it was not easy to let them go.

cb4raptorscb4
Commissioner

Post by cb4raptorscb4 »

Rui looks like he'll be a great defensive player. It'll be a rough season, but getting another top pick is key for you.
Golden State Warriors
Kris Dunn | PJ Dozier | Ding Yanyuhang | Kevon Looney | Chimezie Metu
Devonte Graham | Nimrod Levi | Tariq Owens | Johnny Hamilton
'23: 34-48 (5-8 as GM)
'24: 40-42, 1st Round Exit
'25: 50-32, Championship Round Loss (4-3)
'26: 48-34, 1st Round Exit
'27: 44-38, Missed Playoffs
'28: 39-43, 1st Round Exit
'29: 57-25, Championship Round Loss (4-2)
'30: 48-34, Conference Finals Loss (4-1)

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I am very excited to see how Rui is going to develop. From the 10 or so scouts I sent I saw he has severe limitations on offense and we all know he is all-CSL defensively. SO it will be interesting to see how he matches up and what he can do offensively while shutting down his man.

Are you planning on playing him at big man mostly? Was surprised to see you kept his weight at 235 which is quite heavy for potential matchups at 2 or 3
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Yeah Rui looks like a beast.

I actually think you have a decent roster and think you could do better than 20 wins, but maybe I'm too optimistic. You are doing a good job of just adding talent right now without mortgaging your future, which is good.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

Well, this will be another year of growth, and experiment with this young roster. Rui is going to be a stud on defense, and with you owning your own pick, now you can just focus on finding keepers on this roster.
Big changes are coming in D.C.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

emplep7 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 pm
I actually think you have a decent roster and think you could do better than 20 wins, but maybe I'm too optimistic. You are doing a good job of just adding talent right now without mortgaging your future, which is good.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous I have a little too much veteran talent to be that bad.

Very well could be fixed by me selling them off one by one for future pieces though.

Dylan
Senior Vice President

Post by Dylan »

andrei wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 am Are you planning on playing him at big man mostly? Was surprised to see you kept his weight at 235 which is quite heavy for potential matchups at 2 or 3
Yeah, for now, I'm gonna use him primarily as a 4 but experiment throughout the season. For his weight, I'm taking a bit of a wait and see approach for the new engine, I wasn't sure if the same correlation is there between weighing X amount and being able to effectively defend wings. So I'm gonna test it this year and always have future training camps to have him lose weight if the results aren't where I want them to be.

mgtr81
Chairman of the Board

Post by mgtr81 »

As long as Hachimura does not take many shots, which he shouldn't with his current scoring rating, he'll be fine.

It will be a year of writing a lot to get scouting points, as I think the main goal for the Clippers will be to have a good draft.
ImageImageImageImageImage

blackice
Chairman of the Board

Post by blackice »

Great to see this team draft well, I still have a soft spot for the Clippers. Hachimura looks to be a game changer on the defensive end and I could see a few Defensive Player of the Year awards for him in the future. I think taking the Bucks approach, developing young talent and not cashing in your chips until you're ready to compete. Drafting up top for a year or two will put this franchise into a much better position.
Ball is Life.

Dennis
CSL Champ 2028

Post by Dennis »

Need to check Rui again. But I wasn’t a fan of him getting drafted that high. Didn’t check his potentials ingame though. Might be one of the things I will do right away once the new file is up.
In General I think this team is two years away from being two years away. It’s gonna be a pretty long rebuild imo.
Boston Celtics Hall of Fame
PG G. Dragic [7] - Jersey Retired <> 2013 - 2015
PG R. Westbrook [0] - Jersey Retired <> 2016 - 2019

Fox - Johnson - Bridges - Hlinason - Whiteside
CSL Champions Image 2028

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I said it all along and think that landing Rui hurts because you didn't get one of the top-3 but should keep the Clippers in the high lottery one more season to hopefully land a franchise guy.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]