League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Cousins

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Cousins

Post by andrei »

SAC: Is Vlade a genius or NuggOlesk? I follow NBA on Yahoo mostly and they talk a lot about Cousins value being super low. He is a top10 player in NBA easily but his antics are scary for any team. It's no coincidence that even with decent players like Gay, the Kings were still in the lottery all these years. Despite his talent, DMC can't produce wins.

NOP: I know people talk about how little they paid for him but I can imagine a scenario where they end up being losers in the deal. How is he going to play next to AD where he is clearly the second fiddle. There has never been a player in Sacramento who is better than him so, knowing the kind of locker room cancer that he is, how is he going to handle it?

Cousins: this may be the beginning of the end of his All-Star days. If he does not work out, he is going to turn into Rondo - excellent player but just too much baggage to be worth any investment. Really can't understand how he can be like that - he was up for a major pay rise this offseason...
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Re: Cousins

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Cousins is clearly not producing as many wins his talent should but he is not the only responsible of the Sacramento Kings mediocrity.
I am sure he would thrilled in great organization like Spurs or Celtics. Not sure though about the Pelicans.
Anyway, the value paid by NOP is clearly worth the risk! Really bad move by Divac in my opinion
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

I don't care what his attitude is like: getting Cousins for almost nothing is a win for the Pelicans. Clearly Sacramento was done with him and wanted him gone. I have to imagine Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens just did not want him on the Celtics or else we could have blown that deal out of the water.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

I'd say attitude is very important - this is NBA not CSL, where a player like Cousins may make or break a team. At this stage I'd say its 50% make or break

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

No chance he works in new orleans. The only team i can see cousins working in would be san antonio or cleveland. I would rather new orleans have tanked the rest of the year and hopefully finally hit on a lotto pick than bring in cousins
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

No change he resigns during the season so not only does he have his baggage, but he's also currently a rental. That had a lot to do with his value as well.

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

OneNole wrote:No chance he works in new orleans. The only team i can see cousins working in would be san antonio or cleveland. I would rather new orleans have tanked the rest of the year and hopefully finally hit on a lotto pick than bring in cousins
I think there is a chance it can work. NOH is the closest team to being a the Hometown Team for Boogie as he lives just 2 hours away from NO and I think we cannot understate the Kentucky connection between him and AD. Jrue will be the first real PG Boogie has played with in the NBA. I think this could be a real good fit depending on whom they place around Jrue (hopefully he now resigns this offseason), AD, and Boogie.
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

I love that the Kings are obsessed with young mediocre SGs. In the last decade, they have drafted Jimmer Fredette, Ben McLemore, Nik Stauskas, and Malachi Richardson to fill the SG void. Now Buddy Hield will fill that slot.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

and here I thought the CSL was a bunch of manipulators and liars. . . can't even count the number of quotes and articles I read yesterday on Vlade and Sacto being adamant that DeMarcus wasn't going anywhere - even though it's been painfully obvious that there was no other choice.

I did read this article on Bleacher Report the other day (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691 ... l-nba-team) and thought it was good timing. Say what you will about Calipari but the guy knows his shit. Do the NOP fit this mold?
BR: What do you think is the ideal NBA situation for DeMarcus? Coach, team, circumstances, all of it.

Calipari: First of all, it's gotta be an organization and a coach he respects. And it's gotta be an organization and a coach that are not afraid to coach him, that are not afraid of him, that want to coach him and make him be the best. And then it's a situation where you can win.

Now would he have to be the main guy? No, but he'd have to be one of those two. It'd be him and somebody else, and he'd have to accept what the other guy is, and take great joy in—let me say this!—John Wall's success. Or Eric Bledsoe's success. He did it here. If it's that kind of environment, yeah. And I think USA Basketball proved that. It did. But he's gotta really respect what's going on.

The problem with my guys, all my guys, they come in and improve themselves so fast in college, they go from He's this and this to That kid is the first pick or second pick. Four. Five. Seven. Tell me about those teams: not great. So my guys are walking into bad situations. And those teams are lottery picks for a reason. It's not just their players or their coaches—it's the organization doesn't get it right.
Clown.Show.League

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Man I'm pulling for NO to get respectable and do this right. Davis/Cousins don't even need a true PG. Get them boys shooters try to talk CP3 into coming back (he's a FA soon?) And that team will manhandle any front line.
Cleveland Cavaliers

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

You guys are crazy if you don't think Boogie takes the money. No one turns down 200+ million. No. One.
Cleveland Cavaliers

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

drumr wrote:Man I'm pulling for NO to get respectable and do this right. Davis/Cousins don't even need a true PG. Get them boys shooters try to talk CP3 into coming back (he's a FA soon?) And that team will manhandle any front line.
Didn't they say the same thing about Howard/Gasol and it didn't work out even when they were playing together...

Mattybriand
CEO

Post by Mattybriand »

drumr wrote:You guys are crazy if you don't think Boogie takes the money. No one turns down 200+ million. No. One.

New CBA is weird I don't think he's eligible for "super max" now...

Also Kevin Durant is a great example of someone leaving money on the table...

With all that being said I don't think cousins would leave money on the table...
Last edited by Mattybriand on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George DePaula|Damien Inglis|Draymond Green|Karl Anthony-Towns|Nikola Jokić

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

That was all D'Antoni. I watched every single game that season. When the players finally started ignoring him and running what they wanted (triangle dual post sets) the team went on a tear Kobe put up insane assist numbers and we got into the playoffs. Jackass tried to make Pau a jump shooter.
Cleveland Cavaliers

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

andrei wrote:
drumr wrote:Man I'm pulling for NO to get respectable and do this right. Davis/Cousins don't even need a true PG. Get them boys shooters try to talk CP3 into coming back (he's a FA soon?) And that team will manhandle any front line.
Didn't they say the same thing about Howard/Gasol and it didn't work out even when they were playing together...
AD/Boogie are way more versatile than Howard/Gasol. Both bigmen can play back to he basket and all the way to three point line. Howard/Gasol were not as versatile
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

Mattybriand wrote:
drumr wrote:You guys are crazy if you don't think Boogie takes the money. No one turns down 200+ million. No. One.

New CBA is weird I don't think he's eligible for "super max" now...

Also Kevin Durant is a great example of someone leaving money on the table...

With all the being said I don't think cousins would leave money on the table...
Everything I know about boogie off the court he loves his money
Cleveland Cavaliers

drumr
Chairman of the Board

Post by drumr »

wms02a wrote:
andrei wrote:
AD/Boogie are way more versatile than Howard/Gasol. Both bigmen can play back to he basket and all the way to three point line. Howard/Gasol were not as versatile
This
Cleveland Cavaliers

8time
Senior Vice President

Post by 8time »

Man I feel bad for Anthony Davis.

stelfair333
General Manager

Post by stelfair333 »

Cousins could only get the super max extension with the Kings. He lost quite a bit of money getting traded to the Pelicans. I think it might be able to work tho. Low risk high reward for New Orleans. Traded spare parts to get him, if it doesn't work out, let him walk. If it does, try your hardest to resign him. Brilliant move by the Pelicans.

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

He's not eligible for the super max anymore so he's signing the same exact deal in NOLA or any where else I believe.

I know he lost out on over $30 million by being traded.