League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Do you trust the process?

Rob
Senior Vice President

Re: Do you trust the process?

Post by Rob »

NuggOlesk wrote:
Marcos_Beck wrote: That will give them 0 wins but adding some veterans who can teach players how to be patient and behave like professional basketball players is very important.
I hate the Mkie D'Antoni signing though. I think he's not a fit along Jahlil and Embiid and the possible big-oriented offense.
I agree, but say that they may even give few wins, not because their playing, but with their teachings, what will probable make some young players play better.

And I also think D'Antoni will be mistake, but at least he will not be the head coach, so he will not have so much power. Let's hope he only helps smaller players play better offence, and 76ers keep him away from their bigs :lol:
I agree. The vets will add wins because of their pressence on the team. The sixers are actually close during games but lose the games in the 4th. As for Dantoni, i really hope Jahs isnt shooting threes. He will make Marshall better and maybe even Sauce Castillo better by helping him set up better.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

Wroten waived...
76ers Acquire Ish Smith From Pelicans For Two 2nd Rounders

That's more like it, some good moves!

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

Elton Brand wants to give back, signing with 76ers to be mentor

Good reading in somebody interested:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14501 ... lil-okafor

StOfTheStep
Senior Vice President

Post by StOfTheStep »

ha i love that image

love to do a fill in the caption on this one

8timechamp
Senior Vice President

Post by 8timechamp »

Sixers playing better since trading for Ish Smith averaging 15-9. Record is 3-3 I believe with Mike Dantoni as assistant. I still feel they will be in the bottom three come April though.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

If you playe hard and the right way, have the right mindset and you still be on the bottom, then you can live with that and enjoy the good pick. (The right way to "get" a top pick! - There should be 30 winning teams, who all try hard to win, and if you give your all, but still fall short, then you get the consolation prize, not that teams try to lose to "win" a good pick!)
Complicated version of: good shooter taking an open shot, and missis, still = good shot.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

As 76ers are having one of the worst season in NBA history, something good happened...Sam Hinkie has stepped down from his post as general manager and president of basketball operations from the Philadelphia 76ers. Seems like he finally saw himself, he sucks so hard. Good times for 76ers, hope they choose well.

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

I was pretty underwhelmed by Hinkie's drafting. I liked the moves he made in order to get the picks but what does he have to show for it? Three years of horrific basketball and they have Embiid who's never played a game, Okafor who has been decent but has a skillset that has been phased out of the league like a floppy disk in the mid 2000s and has been in a good bit of offcourt trouble in just one year. Noel is the sole good pick was acquired in a trade in a year where they didn't tank. And guess what, all three play the same damn position! Hinkie is the anti-Presti. I like his trades but he can't draft for shit and there doesn't seem to be any kind of timetable to become good. The next GM better knock these 2016 draft picks out of the park. You can't tank a decade to wait for a star to fall into your lap. Hopefully a new GM will give this team an identity because a losing culture is tough to shake.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

He took over an absolute dumpster fire because the previous GM was awful. They had no talent, minimal draft picks and no cap. They now have some talent, a LOT of assets, and cap room galore.

He's done some genius moves that no one gives him enough credit for. He turned MCW (who's awful) into that Lakers first (top 3 protected) they own this year. There's a good chance that becomes the 4th or 5th pick this year.

In another deal, he also took on some salary (which they had an over abundance of) in exchange with the Kings for Stauskas, a future Kings 1st (in like '18 I think), and the ability to swap 1sts this year and next. Don't sleep on swapping the 1sts. The Kings currently have the 8th worst record (half game out of 7th worst). Basically, that's extra ping pong balls the 76ers are getting, to increase their chances of the top overall pick.

Yes, the product on the court sucks... but no shit it sucks. That's literally been his plan. Noel was not a top 5 pick in a very weak draft, so it's not like they drafted him #1 overall or anything. And he's actually been a solid player (one of the better picks from that draft class so far). The Embiid pick was a risk, but who were the 76ers supposed to take instead? No one left in that draft even came remotely close to the upside he possessed. Regardless, it's still way too early to call him a bust. Let's see if he gets on the court. As for Okafor, again, who were the 76ers supposed to take there instead? Porzingis? Another front court player? When you're as bad as the sixers are, you don't draft for need and reach on a player. That's the dumbest thing you can do. You draft BPA (which Okafor was almost unanimously). And calling Okafor's 17.5 pts (over 50% shooting), 7.0 rebs, 1.2 blks as a 19-20 year old rookie as only "decent" is mind boggling. Give him a real PG and some shooters that can actually provide spacing, and watch how many points he gets. Opponents know he's their only offensive threat and they still can't stop him. He certainly has his weaknesses, but to criticize this pick after how he's performed without any talent around him is laughable. Don't forget Saric is about to come over (this summer I believe), and he's been excellent overseas. But let's wait to see how he does in the NBA before judging this pick.

Say what you want about how the sixers have "too many front court players, not enough guards". Bla bla bla. This is the NBA, where trades happen all the time. It's not hard to move players. They have so many assets that they could easily trade for some talented guards when they felt it was time to put a winning product on the floor. And Hinkie has already shown that he can fleece other teams in trades, which is a big reason I had faith in him being able to trade some of his big men and/or assets to pick up guards when the time was right.

The shitty thing is that for better or for worse, we'll never be able to see this thing play out. Hinkie took over a team that had no hope and laid ALL of the groundwork. Now the freaking Colangelos are going to reap the rewards and get all the credit, which is BS.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

I thinks most Philly fans are extremely happy. And if he would have been so good, he wouldn't have left/made to leave.
No LeBron in PHI making FO changes :lol:
He may have done 1-2 things right, but most of the things he failed to do. Nobody says he did 100% wrong, but there is and shouldn't be no reaping for him.

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

The Colangelo's get far more credit for "turning around" USA basketball and that definitely helped them make their power play in Philly. Unfortunately there's not a gluttony of superstar players waiting in Philadelphia that are ready to destroy the world.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I think Hinkie did a great job at turning a terrible and bleak future for Sixers basketball into hope for the first time since Iverson left. The product on the court has been awful, but I think he deserved one more season to see it play out before the NBA stepped in. The Colangelo's have the change here to be very loved or extremely hated in Philly depending on if they screw this up.

And if they get rid of Brett Brown, that will be the first step to them being hated.

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

I will also add that the Raptors didn't start getting better until Bryan Colangelo was ousted as GM of that team. Here's hoping he learned from his mistakes as he made some of the worst trades and draft selections for a GM during that span.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

If Philly cans Brett Brown, they will have essentially killed any chance of this guy earning another HC job anywhere in the NBA. Give this guy a chance to win with a legit roster before killing his career.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I get that his picks/assets haven't turned into anything tangible on the court yet, I really do. My frustration as a fan is with sixers ownership because he has done EXACTLY what he said he would do, and they were on board. Now right before he's about to start putting a winning squad on the floor, they essentially push him out. He got them this far, and to not let him at least show if he could finish the plan is just shitty. Nobody of note wanted to be the GM when he took over. Now he's set the team up for the next GM to be molded any way they want.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

You two are like almost only people I know who liked Hinkie as a GM, most of people I like, most of the people I hate, different NBA communities, different forums, only like 1% liked him.
If you make shit less shit, I wouldn't give you a medal.

Some funny version on Hinkie hate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfZH6vxOps

But I agree with SAS 100% on the points he made.

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

NuggOlesk wrote:You two are like almost only people I know who liked Hinkie as a GM, most of people I like, most of the people I hate, different NBA communities, different forums, only like 1% liked him.

First off, Stephen A Smith may or may not have valid points about Hinkie, but I'm pretty sure I get dumber every time I hear him speak, so I can't bring myself to watch that. I'm going to assume that you've already said most of his talking points.

As for people liking Hinkie as GM... I have no idea who you interact with on nba forums or whatnot, but I'm willing to bet that you're not interacting with many people from Philly. Of course people outside of Philly hate Hinkie and what he was doing, but if you think Philly cares what anyone else thinks, then you're mistaken.

As someone that lives around Philly, I can assure you that Hinkie was not hated by the masses. Were there a few that hated him? Sure, but it was a pretty low number. Believe me, when the city of Philadelphia hates someone and wants him gone, they are very vocal/passionate about it until that guy is gone (and it never takes long). See Chip Kelly (Eagles) or Ruben Amaro Jr. (Phillies) as very recent examples.
I'm not saying Hinkie was loved, but the fans understood what Hinkie was doing as a necessary evil. They wanted to see how it played out. And like I mentioned before, he's done an excellent job of setting this team up for success in the near future. You simply cannot make a legitmate argument that the sixers are worse off than when he took over 3 years ago. They're in MUCH better shape. But instead of letting him attempt to finish his plan, the ownership has turned the team over to Bryan Colangelo... who did not do a good job in his last job in Toronto, but that's a whole other story.

RiotPunch
General Manager

Post by RiotPunch »

GreenBear wrote:
NuggOlesk wrote:You two are like almost only people I know who liked Hinkie as a GM, most of people I like, most of the people I hate, different NBA communities, different forums, only like 1% liked him.

First off, Stephen A Smith may or may not have valid points about Hinkie, but I'm pretty sure I get dumber every time I hear him speak, so I can't bring myself to watch that. I'm going to assume that you've already said most of his talking points.

As for people liking Hinkie as GM... I have no idea who you interact with on nba forums or whatnot, but I'm willing to bet that you're not interacting with many people from Philly. Of course people outside of Philly hate Hinkie and what he was doing, but if you think Philly cares what anyone else thinks, then you're mistaken.

As someone that lives around Philly, I can assure you that Hinkie was not hated by the masses. Were there a few that hated him? Sure, but it was a pretty low number. Believe me, when the city of Philadelphia hates someone and wants him gone, they are very vocal/passionate about it until that guy is gone (and it never takes long). See Chip Kelly (Eagles) or Ruben Amaro Jr. (Phillies) as very recent examples.
I'm not saying Hinkie was loved, but the fans understood what Hinkie was doing as a necessary evil. They wanted to see how it played out. And like I mentioned before, he's done an excellent job of setting this team up for success in the near future. You simply cannot make a legitmate argument that the sixers are worse off than when he took over 3 years ago. They're in MUCH better shape. But instead of letting him attempt to finish his plan, the ownership has turned the team over to Bryan Colangelo... who did not do a good job in his last job in Toronto, but that's a whole other story.
Yup. Philly sports fans are some of the most insufferable, obnoxious fans in the world--but damn it if they don't know their sports. Very smart fan base. Hinkie was building a contender the right way, through the top of the draft. He acquired a sh*t load of picks. As a Bucks fan that suffered through the years of meddling ownership trying to 'win now' with a bunch of journeymen and perpetually drafting 14th-18th overall, I respect the balls Hinkie had to be so bold with his strategy. Philly fans knew it was about big picture.

Now they have Colangelo... The most overrated GM in the galaxy.
Kyle Lowry || Bradley Beal || Andrew Wiggins || Derrick Favors || Festus Ezeli
2018-19 Record: 40-42
2017-18 GM of the Year

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

I'm not from US, so I really don't care for Philli, that's some I live here we support you thing. That has no real meaning in saying "Hinkie was good, because Philly people didn't want him gone". Real merit comes from other people who know sports, but don't have any ties with teams.
Homeboy love doesn't show someones greatness!
And no I haven't said most of the points SAS said, don't have time to re-say everything he said. And I don't really care for that video so much to re-watch it also. I collect a lot of different information and use that to make my own judgment. I don't throw out good ideas only because I don't like the guy.

And I don't compere him to Bryan and don't say he will o a better job, that is to be seen, have never liked him, probable never will, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a new chance :idea:
So if you fuck up something, you should never get a nother chance? People don't learn form mistakes and don't improve? If that is your point, I really see no real merit in your talk. So no meaning to discuss things.

NuggOlesk
Senior Vice President

Post by NuggOlesk »

But I am not saying it is a bad thing, in general, Brazil fans support Brazil basketball, Miami fans support Miami, Estonian fans support Estonian basketball. It us all good and very normal, and I am not saying it is 100% true, BUT if there is argument over Canadan (or what ever) basketball, almost every time the unbiased one has more merit than Canadian himself.