League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Lottery Reform

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Lottery Reform

Post by Myles »

The NBA is discussing and possibly proposing a new lottery system. This could make things interesting.

Here's the reported proposal, via Zach Lowe.

Also raises the question of whether we like the lottery system in it's current state here. In real life, most of the cons of tanking relate to things we don't have here in sim leagues. Loss of revenue, fan support, etc. Here it's just public shaming and our own desires to win rather than suck, but technically there's nothing stopping teams from tanking except for admin intervention.

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Lottery Reform

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I don't think there'll ever be someone who'll bench his stars and play with his backup PG as starting C, those kinds of things. That's just ridiculous and this GM does not deserve to be in a competitive league like CSL

I'll never do anything close to deliberate tanking.
Does it means I'll never trade good players for future assets such as draft picks if I'm rebuilding? No
That's completely all right to me. You make your team worse in the present but better in the future. Yet that's a big risk. And does not matter to me if I traded my stars to start a rebuild with a couple more of early first picks and now it makes sense to lose and get the 1st pick. I'll always play my best.
If I get the first pick it means I was lucky to get it even though I did not have the worst record. And if I did, it will be because my best was not enough to be better than the other 29 teams.

I don't think we need changes at this point. We're fine, at least in my opinion, someone who refuses to do deliberate tanking (I've seen some guys do in other sim leagues and that sucks. I mean, there's no value in winning against a team who plays their PG as C and their C as PG. Only takes away the fun of playing.)
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I think it's long overdue, personally. The only way to get rid of tanking is to take the huge advantage away. I get that no one in this league is going to make it THAT obvious that they're tanking, but it's still going to happen to a lesser degree as long as there's a big incentive to lose games.

lakeshowak7
CEO

Post by lakeshowak7 »

Their system now does not work. At all.

I'm behind this change, and it seems like it will work out better as well just looking at sheer percentages.