League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Duncan?

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Duncan?

Post by andrei »

Can't believe the Spurs have been eliminated. I really wanted Duncan to at least reach the finals tis year, but in the first round. Could this be the end of his career? Managed to catch the game and the fight (Long night) but Duncan was great as usually but at 39 he can't carry the team anymore despite his 27/11.

What happens next to SA? Duncan and Manu may stay if there is hope and both are crazy enough to play for a minimum if Spurs can attract somebody...

On another note, Paul with a hamstring was phenomenal. Fought like a beast to the end and pulled out the game. Real leader. Don't see that in Blake though despite all his stats
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Re: Duncan?

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I see Duncan getting back for 5M, Manu for the minimum, and the Spurs adding another big name, possible Aldridge.
But seriously, Manu should retire.. Duncan has enough in the tank to play.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

With teams like the Warriors, Clippers, Rockets, Thunder, etc looking up in the near future I find it hard to see the Spurs as legit contenders unless they can get a guy like Aldridge and let Parker and Duncan take a back seat.

I feel like I've been saying this about the Spurs for half of my basketball viewing life now :lol:

Also it's weird but I worry more about Manu and Parker than I do Duncan. Duncan looks like he could play into his 40s- Manu is certainly on the brink of retirement and honestly Parker is barely average in terms of starting PGs these days.

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

Well, here is my two cents from San Antonio where I listen to the local media guys everyday. Yes, I'm even one of those nerds that tweet into the shows here and occasionally call in.

Duncan - Odds are he is going to come back from what all is being said. As already mentioned, the Spurs are going to make a HUGE push to bring in Aldridge and if that doesn't pan out, they are in the market for Gasol (Marc). The thinking is Duncan can help them develop their game even more and Pop can REALLY rest Timmy for the playoffs.

Manu - From a show I heard him do an interview on, I think he is going to hang them up. Remember that he is basically the Michael Jordan of Argentina basketball and the way he plays has caught up with him. I heard it best when one of the sports radio DJs here said "Manu's mind still wants to do things his body can't do anymore." As great as he has been for us over the years, he just has no gas left in the tank.

Parker - This is the one that scares me more than Duncan or Manu. It was suppose to be Parker and Kawhi leading this team but Parker is looking like he aged 50 years in just this season. I'm not sure if it's all the international play for France, but Tony looked one step to slow this season.

I've lived in San Antonio for over 40 years (yes, I'm the old man here) and we will have a hard time attracting big name free agents. We tried to land Jason Kidd quite a few years back and that didn't work out. Thank goodness it didn't as the Spurs saw the development of Tony Parker.

What we have going for us?

- No state income tax
- Greg Popovich is arguably the GOAT
- Team game where wins and titles mean more than personal stats
- Privacy for you and your family. I've seen Duncan and Parker around town at places and they are not being swarmed by fans. San Antonio is a big town but with a small town feel.

What we have against us?

- Not recognized as a major media market
- One horse town - No pro football, baseball, hockey or other major team
- Not a flashy city for those who want a night life

The Spurs generally have built their teams through the draft. So once Tim, Manu and Tony ride off into the sunset, unless we score a major player this summer...

It may be quite some time till we see the Spurs making runs like they have for so many years.

Remember the San Antonio Spurs have appeared in the NBA playoffs from 1998 - 2015 ... that's 18 straight seasons!
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I've seen Manu completely destroy Brazil's national team with a roster featuring prime Leandro Barbosa, prime Nene, prime Varejao, an up and coming Splitter, prime Marcelo Huertas, Marcelo Machado (one of the best fiba 3point shooters of all time) and so many other great names. That Argentina's squad with Scola, Prigioni, Nocioni, there were great players for both teams all over the floor, most of them at their primes, but Manu's always been the difference between them. He always decided it for Argentina during EVERY game, I've never ever seen Brazil beating Argentina with Manu playing.

He was just a once in a generation player, whose creativity had absolutely no limts. As crafty as they come, he could do EVERYTHING with a basketball. But his body can't do it anymore. So, I hope he hangs up his sneakers and start coaching, because with his brilliant mind, he can be one of the best ever. Specially if he stays with Pop until he retires, learning from him off the court from now on.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Chilikonkarne
CEO

Post by Chilikonkarne »

Cyrisnyte wrote:Parker - This is the one that scares me more than Duncan or Manu. It was suppose to be Parker and Kawhi leading this team but Parker is looking like he aged 50 years in just this season. I'm not sure if it's all the international play for France, but Tony looked one step to slow this season.
Parker has been playing for France every year and he is a huge icon in our country for that reason.
However last year he decided to take a break and didn't join the national team. First time he takes a rest and he had his worst season with multiple injuries.

So if the trend remains the same, he should back full power next season since he will be playing the Euro in France this year :D
Chilikonkarne Era (273-186 / 59%)

2014-2015 : 28-21 - (Lottery)
2015-2016 : 50-32 - (Conference Final)
2016-2017 : 35-47 - (Lottery)
2017-2018 : 54-28 - (Conference Final, Atlantic Division Champion)
2018-2019 : 49-33 - (2nd round)
2019-2020 : 57-25 - (2nd round, Atlantic Division Champion)

Rob
Senior Vice President

Post by Rob »

I think Aldridge will go to the Spurs. I think Timmy will play one more season and if they dont do much in the PO next season he will retire. Manu is done. Parker will be good next year as long as they keep hin fresh. One thing that does concern me anout getting aldridge is that he is already 30 i believe. Giving him a 4 year max might backfire.

Rizzo
Chairman of the Board

Post by Rizzo »

Wow I didn't realize Aldridge was that old already.
Career Accolades:
- GM, Cleveland Cavaliers [2013-2018]
- GM, Brooklyn Nets [2018-2030, 2031-Present]
- 0 CSL Championships
- 0 Eastern Conference Championships
- 0 Coach of the Year Awards
- 0 GM of the Year Awards

Rizzo's Hall of Fame Players:
- oCSL Marcus Smart
- SG P.J. Hairston [2015 CSL Draft, Pick 1.16]
- C DeAndre Ayton [2022 CSL Draft, Pick 1.3]
- PG Shai-Gilgeous Alexander [2025 CSL Draft, Pick 1.1]

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

He'll be 30 this summer but his game is going to age like Duncan, Dirk, Pau, and KG. I think he'll still be a 20/9 all star in 4 years.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

Probably alone in this but I would much rather see Brook Lopez w/ the Spurs than Aldridge... health withstanding I just think his game is the perfect compliment for Tim and Kawhi and of course Pop.

He also fits in with Kawhi age-wise to be the cornerstones of the team heading into a new phase.

Worse case maybe trade Splitter for Hibbert as Indiana would like to move Roy who'd be a great defensive fit with Tim imo.

Tim looks absolutely fantastic and my theory would be to preserve him and get a younger big like Lopez togive them a longer window instead of an older win now shorter term piece.

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF K Middleton
PF S Barnes| C M Williams

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

WillyJakkz wrote:Probably alone in this but I would much rather see Brook Lopez w/ the Spurs than Aldridge... health withstanding I just think his game is the perfect compliment for Tim and Kawhi and of course Pop.

He also fits in with Kawhi age-wise to be the cornerstones of the team heading into a new phase.

Worse case maybe trade Splitter for Hibbert as Indiana would like to move Roy who'd be a great defensive fit with Tim imo.

Tim looks absolutely fantastic and my theory would be to preserve him and get a younger big like Lopez togive them a longer window instead of an older win now shorter term piece.
Health is a major concern for Lopez, personally I'd stay well away from him. Also his defense sucks big time. Hibbert for Splitter makes sense, as I remember Hibbert and Duncan spending an offseason together done time ago. he'd be a good fit on defense, not so much on offense though. If Aldridge is available to them, they've got it do it. Aldridge would be a good replacement for Timmy once he retired too.

NanashiWake
Senior Vice President

Post by NanashiWake »

You think they can build a contender around Aldridge though? I do agree that it's possible because the dude is a baller, but hasn't that been what Portland has tried for how many years now? To no success. I think they've had some really talented roster and have yet to make it to even the Western Finals if I'm not mistaken.
Year 1: 47-35 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 2: 45-37 [[Washington Wizards]]
Year 3: Fired [[Portland Trailblazers]]

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

NanashiWake wrote:You think they can build a contender around Aldridge though? I do agree that it's possible because the dude is a baller, but hasn't that been what Portland has tried for how many years now? To no success. I think they've had some really talented roster and have yet to make it to even the Western Finals if I'm not mistaken.
They could've beaten Memphis with a healthy Matthews IMO.

andrei
Chairman of the Board

Post by andrei »

also, POR have been really unlucky with Brandon Roy and whats his name drafted before Durant
Congrats to season 16 ASL champion SoulKey. For the Swarm!

Rob
Senior Vice President

Post by Rob »

andrei wrote:also, POR have been really unlucky with Brandon Roy and whats his name drafted before Durant
Agreed. If they wouldve stayed healthy, portland could have been a dynasty with a big three of Roy, Aldridge and Oden. I think batum was in portland during that time too im not sure

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Post by KW »

Rob wrote:
andrei wrote:also, POR have been really unlucky with Brandon Roy and whats his name drafted before Durant
Agreed. If they wouldve stayed healthy, portland could have been a dynasty with a big three of Roy, Aldridge and Oden. I think batum was in portland during that time too im not sure
Yeah and they would have had Lillard too. They drafted Lillard with the pick Brooklyn gave them in 2012 for Wallace. They would've been STACKED

Cyrisnyte
General Manager

Post by Cyrisnyte »

NanashiWake wrote:You think they can build a contender around Aldridge though? I do agree that it's possible because the dude is a baller, but hasn't that been what Portland has tried for how many years now? To no success. I think they've had some really talented roster and have yet to make it to even the Western Finals if I'm not mistaken.
In my opinion, it will be building the team around Kawhi. Aldridge would be 1 B on the team and Kawhi would be 1 A.

The thing a lot of people miss is the fact that having Tiago the past few seasons has allowed Timmy to play the 4. Thus, he didn't have to bang against centers all season long and helped prolong his career in the NBA. Rumors are already swirling down here but in my personal opinion, we will likely miss out on a marquee free agent this summer. This team has always had to build through the draft. We even moved George Hill who was a Pop favorite to get Kawhi in the draft.
Harrison -- Young --- ZDK --- AA --- WCJ
Duval -- O'Neale -- Okeke -- Reid -- N'Diaye