League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

"Purposely" Waived Vets

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

"Purposely" Waived Vets

Post by WillyJakkz »

From the Sim Results Thread:
Myles wrote:I know it’s supposed to be straight up random but teams eliminated from the playoffs should not be able to win contested claims for cut players.
I completely agree and actually feel like teams eliminated from contention shouldn't even be allowed to bid on veteran players that get released for a "purpose" which although it was done for a storyline the fact of the matter is it was done so Rondo could go to a Playoff or verge of Playoffs team, not a team that has just about the same amount of wins as me AND out of the Playoff picture.

Don't like him signing with the Spurs at all when several other teams could actually use him.

Actually goes against why he was released. Is it possible to make adjustments for this type of situation in the future if it happens again?

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PG L Ball | SG A Edwards | SF D Bane
PF J Isaac| C M Williams

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Re: "Purposely" Waived Vets

Post by hardenwithnod »

Agree with the above points.
Alvarado/Mitchell/Tatum/Bender/Birutis

Flaming Homer
Commissioner

Post by Flaming Homer »

+1

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Agreed. I think the distinction should be contested claims, as if the Spurs were the only team, or if only eliminated teams put in claims, then obviously one of them could sign him. But in this case and in similar cases moving forward, the eliminated teams (or nearly eliminated) should be removed from the process.

At the very least, give the playoff teams 3x as many odds. Or something like that

Cleasby
Senior Vice President

Post by Cleasby »

Flaming Homer wrote:+1
2020-2021 CSL coach of the year

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I don't think many people would argue this. It's just something that isn't in the cba, so the simmer has to do what is currently in place.

Why people have to go out of their way to ruin things just because they can is beyond me.

Raidercj
General Manager

Post by Raidercj »

Yeah I think we should change the process for released players after trade deadline only.
New Orleans Pelicans

Starters: Monte Morris | Brandon Knight | Chandler Parsons | Anthony Davis | Nikola Vucevic

Alternatives:Joe Jackson | Roy Devyn Marble | Brice Johnson | Malcolm Brogdon | Cole Aldrich | Rajon Rondo | James Ennis

Reserves: Tyler Dorsey | Nicolas Brussino | Derrick Jones

wms02a
CEO

Post by wms02a »

No issues if you want to redo the Rondo FA Signing... completely understand why people are kinda upset. Thought it was funny he signing w me. Rondo must love Mexican Food and Whataburger
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

wms02a wrote:No issues if you want to redo the Rondo FA Signing... completely understand why people are kinda upset. Thought it was funny he signing w me. Rondo must love Mexican Food and Whataburger
Ok, I don't blame him then. The last sentence is a good reasoning.

Ocons
Chairman of the Board

Post by Ocons »

Yes. This. Not upset over missing him but would be a nice addition. Only makes sense he goes to a contender, considering it should technically be his choice. I guess. . . devils advocate is does a player want to play for a contender fighting for minutes or get put in a situation where he has a 15 game showcase as the primary PG with a weaker team. I'd say more often than not the player chooses a contender, just saying.

How, exactly, is the random selection made? I'm still of the conspiracy that there's a human element to the selection. . . lol
Clown.Show.League

Myles
Gone But Not Forgotten

Post by Myles »

Ocons wrote:Yes. This. Not upset over missing him but would be a nice addition. Only makes sense he goes to a contender, considering it should technically be his choice. I guess. . . devils advocate is does a player want to play for a contender fighting for minutes or get put in a situation where he has a 15 game showcase as the primary PG with a weaker team. I'd say more often than not the player chooses a contender, just saying.

How, exactly, is the random selection made? I'm still of the conspiracy that there's a human element to the selection. . . lol
Doug or Jon has mentioned before that they use a random number generator

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

Yup. RNG. Whoever is simming counts the number of teams with a bid (X) and gets the RNG to choose a random number between 1 and X.

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

GreenBear wrote:Yup. RNG. Whoever is simming counts the number of teams with a bid (X) and gets the RNG to choose a random number between 1 and X.
now the real question is, we need to see what number has been generated the most as those programs usually favor one particular number over the others
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

I get the devil's advocate part and considered "ok is Rondo signing with the Spurs as a chance to play for a final nice payday since he is expiring and the Spurs PG situation is one he could actually showcase himself for the end of the year run BUT I did not release him for that reason.

I did it as a story to boost the League realism, to check out what I really have in Ennis Mack, and to give him a shot at a ring since I won't win one and it was silly seeing the Spurs get him...churros or not lol

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PF J Isaac| C M Williams

emplep7
Commissioner & CSL Champ 2018

Post by emplep7 »

Id be okay throwing something like this into the CBA, but just some things to consider because this will have to be specifically spelled out.

-Does this only pertain to vets? How many years in the league? 5-10?
- Is this only for "good" vets? or does that not matter?
- What if someone released a solid 2nd year player? Should only good teams sign them as opposed to a young team who could give them a lot of PT and get them a big contract next season?

Its not all black and white and these things are often hard to define. What is easier is if there is an unwritten rule between GMs where non-playoffs teams just stay out of it in obvious situations.

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

emplep7 wrote:Id be okay throwing something like this into the CBA, but just some things to consider because this will have to be specifically spelled out.

- What if someone released a solid 2nd year player? Should only good teams sign them as opposed to a young team who could give them a lot of PT and get them a big contract next season?

Its not all black and white and these things are often hard to define. What is easier is if there is an unwritten rule between GMs where non-playoffs teams just stay out of it in obvious situations.
I think a good rule of thumb to go by is that this exception will only occur to cuts after the trade deadline, or something like that, so there will be less factors to considered, and it will be consistent.

WillyJakkz
Chairman of the Board

Post by WillyJakkz »

hardenwithnod wrote:
emplep7 wrote:Id be okay throwing something like this into the CBA, but just some things to consider because this will have to be specifically spelled out.

I think a good rule of thumb to go by is that this exception will only occur to cuts after the trade deadline, or something like that, so there will be less factors to considered, and it will be consistent.
Yeah that's a good distinction and again also the "purpose/ point" of the cut which was (as stated in the article): team that can compete, not happy with star vets getting traded for younger players, and younger players not playing their role.

So seeing those points in the article you would think a clear non playoff team wouldn't bid. So maybe clear distinctions in conjunction with the reality of an older vs younger player and after the trade deadline could play a factor?

ORLANDO
MAGIC:
PF J Isaac| C M Williams

OneNole
Chairman of the Board

Post by OneNole »

I think it should only matter for players that are 30 or over. A player that age would never sign with a lottery bound team, nor would a lottery bound team ever sign a player like that
FINALLY a logical HC Rule our work is done

hardenwithnod
Chairman of the Board

Post by hardenwithnod »

That could be a good baseline for these kind of cuts.

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

Couldn't teams signing just out a brief pitch and the simmer just make a decision.

Better than RNG and the simmer will easily consider all the above anyway. I mean, we're talking about cut guys, not stars here.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027