League File | Standings | Schedule | League Leaders | Free Agents | Coaches | CSLO | D-League Standings | D-League Leaders | Player Potential Database

Cap suggestions

KW
CSL Champ 2017

Cap suggestions

Post by KW »

One thing about our league's cap that doesn't line up with the NBA is that the 25%\30%\35% maxes and the 5%\8% raises on most contracts also assume similar to larger inflation to the salary cap year over year.

For example, a 25% 5-year max in the NBA in 2024-25 will start at $35M and finish in its 5th year (2028-29) at 46.5M, which is still roughly the same percentage of the projected cap in 2028-29, give or take 1-2%. They usually project low, and then raise it, so it will wind up still being 25% if not actually lower.

In our league, that final year of a 25% rookie max is 33% of a stagnant salary cap. A 30% max becomes 39.6% of the cap in its 5th final year.

I understand that as long as we are using the game for free agency, the maxes cannot be lowered, so the way around this is to raise the salary cap by 5-10% each year, as the real NBA does.

(In terms of staying with the modern NBA, I'd also suggest that the cap and all salaries are doubled or even increased 2.5x, so that we're looking at modern numbers instead of contracts from 2011 or whenever they dropped DDS:PB3, but that's not a necessity. My understanding is all rookie contracts and mins and maxes are scaled off the cap number anyway)

Thoughts?

wms02a
CEO

Re: Cap suggestions

Post by wms02a »

Can we do that with DDS? If so, id be all for it
Dallas Maverick GM

2024: San Antonio Spurs - Southwest Division Champion, GM of the Year, Coach of the Year
2025: San Antonio Spurs - Western Conference Champions

Stockton12
Chairman of the Board

Post by Stockton12 »

I’ve already brought up cap increases with the commish and I doubt the cap would be raised plus I think the game won’t let you

bt
CSL Champ 2020, 2023 & 2027

Post by bt »

It's a really good point you make about percentage increases compared to a fixed salary cap.

I remember when I was commissioner way back I had a spreadsheet that calculated fake BRI and the salary cap adjusted based off that. Could do a simple calculation that works or even a simple inflation increase would tackle most of the problem.
sacramento kings

tremont waters | skylar mays | nigel johnson
matisse thybulle | justin james
robert franks | darius bazely | john butler
donta hall | xavier tillman | patrick williams
jon collins | jonathan isaac | norvel pelle | mfiondu kabengele

CSL CHAMPION Image 2020, 2023, 2027

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

I support that as long as flat deals starting from MLE salaries are not allowed anymore.

Either increase cap but make raises obligatory from lower salary levels
Or keep the cap intact and allow flat deals

But I have pointed that out MULTIPLE times that we have several financial issues in CSL. Not having teams with cap space is very bad for the league and it isn’t only resulted from GMs offering big deals to players not worth the money, but also due to lack of cap raises when all max money deals have huge raises every year.

More teams with available money creates a better atmosphere overall.
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

GreenBear
CSL Champ 2021 & 2024

Post by GreenBear »

I might be on an island here, but I think it's mostly fine at it is. Minor, obviously beneficial improvements here and there are great, like the one to abolish those long term barely above min contracts.

But for the most part, I'm a believer that simpler is better. It's easier on admins to maintain, easier on new GMs learning the cap, etc.

There's never going to be a perfect system. And as we've seen across a couple of these threads, everyone has their own solutions. To the point where I don't even read most of them lol

Marcos_Beck
CSL Champ 2019

Post by Marcos_Beck »

GreenBear wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:16 am I might be on an island here, but I think it's mostly fine at it is. Minor, obviously beneficial improvements here and there are great, like the one to abolish those long term barely above min contracts.

But for the most part, I'm a believer that simpler is better. It's easier on admins to maintain, easier on new GMs learning the cap, etc.

There's never going to be a perfect system. And as we've seen across a couple of these threads, everyone has their own solutions. To the point where I don't even read most of them lol

Actually it should be much easier for a new GM to understand the league if we proceed to “modernize” CSL a bit. We got caught up in time with contracts, salary cap, player efficiency and a lot of other stuff. There’s already a huge learning curve for a new GM to join the CSL, even more when you cannot align NBA and CSL parameters as any sort of comparison, guards in the NBA shoots 45%+ from the field with a TS% of around 55%, in the CSL most can’t crack 40% from the field and struggle to get to 50% TS lol, in NBA nowadays a 4th starter makes around 20M a year, that’s max money in the CSL….
18-19 Chicago Bulls: CSL Champions
#1 D.Rose #11 J.Holiday #21 J.Butler #42 A.Horford #13 J.Noah

29-30 Philadelphia 76ers: CSL Champions
#1 L.Ball #15 M.Beasley #23 B.Bowen #21 M.Wagner #51 K.Towns

Silogical
CSL Champ 2026

Post by Silogical »

I agree with greenbear simple is better. It seems like unnessary added work when other more important issues are out there.

since it is a flat cap i would be for flattening all salaries.

simple solution
raise the soft cap > raise the max contract to still equal 25/30/35 > eliminate mandatory raises